Home | About | Donate

The Direct Line From Portland To Authoritarian Crackdowns Around the World

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/11/direct-line-portland-authoritarian-crackdowns-around-world

2 Likes

Beautiful insight, limpid clarity–I’d love to see more by this author.

How futile the notion that these abuses would not return to the United States after all the years and all the money to arm and train abusers.

3 Likes

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The horror comes home

Which in truth it never left

This strategy is based on Goebbels’ play book, first tested when Hitler’s henchmen burned the Reichstag and blamed it on the communists. Autocrats everywhere have succeeded with this strategy just as those autocrats have turned on their own bases after they oppressed the contrived enemies that they used to serially feed their bases raw meat.

2 Likes

Meanwhile Mike Pompeo expresses grave concerns over how protestors in Hong Kong so it looks like the US Government on board with the authors message…oops. He did not mention Portland. Maybe he thinks that in China too?

Americans have turned a blind eye to the actions by, or backed by, the US government around the world to keep the foreign leaders they support, regardless of the type of government or whether those governments have the support of its own people, in power.The chickens have come home to roost and all of a sudden Americans are shocked that such things are done in their name.

Excellent article by this author who has echoed what I said right after the illegal, shocking and awful attack on Iraq:." because American foreign policy is fascist and illegal just a matter of time until American domestic policy ( when it has to) will be the same. " Portland is now proving my point.