Home | About | Donate

The Emerging Populist Agenda

The Emerging Populist Agenda

Katrina vanden Heuvel

The most surprising development in our political debate isn’t the gaggle of Republican presidential contenders or the ceaseless attacks on Hillary Clinton. What is stunning is the emergence of a populist reform agenda that is driving the debate inside and outside the Democratic Party.

"...the Center for American Progress published the report of the Commission on Inclusive Prosperity headed by former treasury secretary Larry Summers, widely seen as a marker of where Hillary might move."

This listing is about as compelling as Jerry Fallwell signing up to teach sex ed.

Some good stuff in this agenda. But...

There's some gaping holes in it too, gaping holes that show how weak willed and empty this agenda really is.

Here's a more full agenda:

1) Defund the military industrial complex
2) Withdraw from the Imperial Project
3) Nationalize the Fed and the Big Banks
4) Pull out of the WTO, NAFTA and other trade agreements
5) Massively Fund alternative, renewable Green energy along side future outlawing of burning fossil fuels. Now no more fracking, drilling or new coal mines.
6) Prosecute those who tortured, spied and defraud us in the financial sector
7) Make prosecuting police who kill a FEDERAL issue not a local one
8) End the Prison For Profit complex
9) Legalize drugs- end the war on drugs

I'm sure I could come up with more... but I gotta go now.

The Democratic Party will never even debate most of the above. So vote Green.

"Commission on Inclusive Prosperity headed by former treasury secretary Larry Summers, widely seen as a marker of where Hillary might move."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah - oops, fell off my chair ..... How reassuring - another at bat for bail out the banks Summers ....

Hillary will do as she always does - stick her finger out the window (or elsewhere) and see which way the wind is blowing - say whatever she needs to say - then toss it out if elected ....

Oh Katrina - can't wait 'til you jump on the LOTE wagon for Hillary - "populist", my hemorrhoids, I don't think you would know a real one if it bit you ....

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Except for Americans afflicted with Stockholm Syndrome most of us now realize that HOPE plus two bucks buys a good cup of coffee (more $ in high rent areas) while CHANGE is what you put in the barista's tip jar to assure that the next cup is as good as this one.

Anyone who uses the word "sheeple" is guaranteed to be absolutely useless politically. A wonderful excuse for doing nothing. The sheeple won't move.

Missing from the Populist Agenda list is probably the one with the most positive and lasting effects, direct democracy enabled by modern technology. Representative government has almost always resulted in the rule of the rich and powerful and their exploitation of the 99%. Ancient and decrepit forms of government that exist by and for oligarchs can be relegated to the dustbin of history. Direct democracy, the form of government preferred in the Bill of Rights to be used by, for and of all the people can take its place.

Ms. vanden Heuvel omits the Congressional Progressive Caucus's "People's Budget," which she lauded only two months ago as "The One Sensible Budget in Washington."

The CPC's PB includes higher taxes on the top one percent, increases in wage supplements such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, and a carbon tax to moderate global warming.

This is a real populist agenda, because it directly recognizes and counters the mal-distribution of wealth in the United States of America. Approaches which call for paid sick leave, proper overtime and the like are well intentioned. But they impose penalties on businesses of all sizes, while leaving untouched the extra $1 trillion that now flows to the top one percent each year, over and above what they would have received if income distribution of the 1970's remained in place.