Home | About | Donate

The Emperor Has No Clothes, and Neither Do Monsanto’s ‘Scientists’

The Emperor Has No Clothes, and Neither Do Monsanto’s ‘Scientists’

Katherine Paul

The Monsanto public relations machine has done a stellar job in recent years of reducing the GMO debate to one that pits “pro-science advocates” against “anti-science climate-denier types”—with Monsanto portrayed as being squarely planted in the pro-science camp.

But that well-oiled machine may be starting to sputter.

Turns out that Monsanto executive solicited pro-GMO articles from university researchers, and passed the “research” off as independent science which the biotech giant then used to prop up its image and further its agenda.

Scientists are people and people can be co-opted by psychology. At the federal level it is done all of the time in meetings in Washington (stroking the ego with the "importance" of the place) where controlled messaging, designed at consensus building, is repeated ad nauseam. Dangling cash in the form of grants, perks or whatever certainly doesn't hurt. Once on the hook, the scientist has lashed one's reputation onto the message. It becomes an emotional (psychological) imperative to keep fidelity to the message. I have personally observed this in the nuclear industry (no surprise there, those folks are zealots), the agricultural industry (they are not much better), and even the environmental industry (my main focus). Nader's recent article in CD was right on the money, if you will pardon the pun. As long as people can be bought with money, ego stroking, fame, etc., Monsantification of the process will be cause for concern.

It is important to remember that traditional agriculture still produces between 70 and 80 percent of food.

Giant corporatist farm factories are still a fairly new and so far unproven source of healthy and cost effective food.

Engineered food and your Health. Watch this lecture by Dr. Thierry Vrain

Certain the good doctor has an interesting Thierry, I searched for the link in Vrain.

"The Monsanto public relations machine has done a stellar job in recent years of reducing the GMO debate to one that pits “pro-science advocates” against “anti-science climate-denier types”—with Monsanto portrayed as being squarely planted in the pro-science camp."

C.D. had its share of resident paid message shapers articulating this very "debate."

And about 80% of that food is fed to slaughterhouse-bound animals, and that is an efficiency process of 10% so 90% of that food is wasted. Since most livestock waste is dumped untreated into the Mississippi, creating the dead zone in the Gulf, the public should be outraged at this ridiculous waste of food. Monsanto works hard to increase food for doomed animals, not food for people.

It's good to see some of the GMO industry's snake-in-the-grass tactics being exposed. The entire GMO "project" is such an enormous example of dishonesty, on multiple levels. Really, it's stunning that it has managed to get as far as it has.

Steven Druker's book, Altered Genes, Twisted Truth: How the Venture to Genetically Engineer Our Food Has Subverted Science, Corrupted Government, and Systematically Deceived the Public, sounds like it will be very revealing. Here's how the sellers' blurb begins:

This book uncovers the biggest scientific fraud of our age. It tells the fascinating and frequently astounding story of how the massive enterprise to restructure the genetic core of the world's food supply came into being, how it advanced by consistently violating the protocols of science, and how for more than three decades, hundreds of eminent biologists and esteemed institutions have systematically contorted the truth in order to conceal the unique risks of its products–and get them onto our dinner plates.

Beyond having no clothes, the "emperor" is gradually being revealed as a monstrous villain.

Yes, midwest corporatists are poorly bred humans with limited imagination. Take one state as an example, Iowa. There are more pigs in Iowa than people in New York City.

The great citizens of New York realized they need to be more sanitary and built seventeen sewage processing plants at a billion dollars each. Now let us imagine the corporatist pig factories of Iowa had the decency of New York City's good citizens. Pigs make more poop than humans, so we can guess that Iowa pig corporations would have to come up with 20 billion dollars for sewage plants to protect rivers and the ocean.

Robert Kennedy Jr.was the first I heard talking about this and I am certain there have been many more clear thinkers who see the problem of millions upon millions of pigs using rivers and water tables for a sewer.

What would the price of pork be if pig farmers were required to have the common decency of a human and take care of their shit rather than polluting drinking water and the dust blowing in the wind? It would be high enough that many young people without jobs would start organic farms with an eco-agricultutal pig crop.

Next thing, fishing would bounce back and young people might choose that life as well. Fishing and farming are lucrative and honorable careers. Corporatists require government handouts in order to steal those careers from the people.

Scientific method acting

Good point.....some money, a little flattery, etc and the ethically challenged can be coaxed into some truly despicable behavior. I like your characterization of the "Monsantification" of an industry. You nailed it perfectly.

Interesting how easy it is to turn a sneaky, greedy and unethical corporation, or and entire industry for that matter, into villainous perpetrators. As tempting as it is to reveal how disgusted I am about this whole Monsanto, GMO business, I am beginning to think that they are in the process of imploding all due to their excessive hubris. When the stockholders stop buying their BS and the public gets disgusted enough, the hot air will escape from their giant balloon and the whole stinking GMO food industry will collapse in a pile of discredited crud.

There's more and more proof that giant corporatist farm factories, while they are fairly new, are not healthy or cost-affective.

Steven Druker points out in his book that it all began in 1975 at Asilomar, California. There leading molecular biologists met for a few days to formulate protocol to exempt Genetic Engineering from government regulation. I suggest that the board of directors of the Northern California Branch of the American Society for Microbiology be contacted and asked to convene Asilomar 1975 Reviewed with Steven Druker as the keynote speaker.