Home | About | Donate

The Enemy Between Us: How Inequality Erodes our Mental Health

The Enemy Between Us: How Inequality Erodes our Mental Health

Kate Pickett, Richard Wilkinson

When people are asked what matters most for their happiness and wellbeing, they tend to talk about the importance of their relationships with family, friends and colleagues. It is their intimate world, their personal networks that mean the most to them, rather than material goods, income or wealth.

2 Likes

The best article I have seen in years.I had felt the social sciences was dead since the smartphone nuked our minds.

3 Likes

Read Piketty’s Capital in the Twenty-First Century (2014) to discover the extent of the inequalities experienced intra-nationally and internationally.

1 Like

This article is fine as far as it goes, but the problem is worse than the authors admit. Inequality in wealth means inequality in power. Democracy can’t co-exist with levels of inequality we’re seeing in the US…and it isn’t.

Just consider how, in the face of the worst inequality in the industrialized world, “our” Congress has gifted America’s 0.001% with huge tax cuts. Or consider how ALEC is successfully targeting US labor, already on its knees, with union-busting laws like right to work. Where are the Democrats? Where do you think – owned and operated (for the most part) by the same wealthy people that own and operate the Republicans. No wonder there’s no real pushback to policies that are destroying anything approaching a decent society.

Progressive taxation is all well and good, but who’s going to legislate it?

4 Likes

Being poor has always been “hard on your body and mind”.

For three plus decades increasing numbers of middle class Murkins have found that the slow descent into poverty caused by the divide and conquer strategy is equally “hard on you body and mind”.

3 Likes

As opposed to your CONservative, militaristic, jingoistic Fox News bullshit?

Spoken like an alt-right white nationalist who flies the confederate battle flag and chants “Jews will not replace us.” Got your Tiki Torch supply handy? Drag any people of color to death behind your Texas pick-up truck lately?

2 Likes

Not interested in your extremist views here.

The individual tax rates on the upper brackets could be increased substantially (at least over 50%) and have only a positive effect on the economy and budget deficit and debt reduction and cut down on inequality. Let’s do it.

1 Like

Thank you for saying what I can not.

1 Like

The problem with your current ‘rosy’ outlook is that the job market you think exists does not exist. Do you really think our society can function with 300 million STEM graduates? Where would we get gas and/or shop or eat? Communities can only ‘thrive’ when they grow with all services and fields and provide for the needs of the people who live there. Inequality has allowed for massive monopolies, de-regulation, loss of worker support and power and has thusly ensured that people who work in a majority of ‘new’ jobs today can’t support themselves, period. I will never settle for a society that incentives its citizens to think solely about their own needs and to hell with everyone else. We need to lift from the bottom up.

1 Like

The hardships of Cuba and Venezuela are, to a great extent, caused and exacerbated by overt and covert policies of the U.S. Government. Capitalism never forgives rejection. And now, on to Iran.

You might want to read this.

I have read several of the authors’ books, and I am headed straight out for another purchase. They make bell-clear, thoroughly documented arguments founded on standard sources that do not particularly appreciate their point of view, and I look forward to seeing what else they have turned up as they moved into aspects more allied with personal psychology.