Home | About | Donate

The Enemy Within Is Deep Indeed

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/04/enemy-within-deep-indeed

9 Likes

Okay, Chris. Now tell me something I don’t know!

The central point here, which keeps me detached from all these election goings-on, is conveyed through Wolin, when he points out the madness we see is not anomalous, it’s how the system is set up to operate, possibly in perpetuity. To expect this system to right itself through this pretense of a democratic process is magical thinking. Magical thinking is a poison which suffused the weird cult I grew up in. I know it as physically, tortuously malevolent, and will not participate if I can avoid it.

With Hedges, I’m not expecting anything good out of this.

8 Likes

As always, Spot On. How can it be explained any more clearly? How can anyone dispute a single word, a single obvious, documented, stone-cold FACT. The level of mass delusion required to NOT understand is mind boggling.

It has been apparent for quite some time that this ugly fight has exposed the ‘Deep State’ in ways that may never present again. In this perverse way, Trump may have provided the last best opportunity to confront this tyranny prior to the extermination of all democratic institutional norms. We absolutely cannot afford to squander it.

11 Likes

“To expect this system to right itself through this pretense of a democratic process is magical thinking.”

Yes, absolutely. Systems are constructs - tools- like a hammer. Hammers do not build anything, they are used by sentient beings, with vision, to build things. No wayward ‘system’ can right itself. Without a cognizant population, democracy, and those it is supposed to serve, is doomed, as the systems are expropriated by the tyrants. How can a population be motivated to resist servitude and eventual extinction unless the choice is presented to them clearly? This, Mr. Hedges does as well as anyone.

6 Likes

Notably, Hedges has no curative tonic to offer, aside from his startlingly harsh words. I agree with you: Rev. Hedges is preaching a good sermon at the moment, imho.

7 Likes

The media continues to label Trump as a “populist”, despite every action the Trump has ever taken has been 180 anti-populist.

This mischaracterization leads many to lend legitimacy to Trump and the GOP.

Until the label is revised to FAUX populist of some other more accurate characterization, the GOP will retain its power.

8 Likes

And This…

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

- Frederick Douglass

The Women’s Vote was demanded, Civil Rights were demanded, An end to Vietnam was demanded…

9 Likes

I read Chris Hedges these days with trepidation, but it is all true as far as I can see.

But we have the internet - a new thing in all of history, and we have an ecological planetary crisis, dare I say it, on our side. These will trump Trump and the deep state(s), which exist in many countries other than the USA.

But it is going to be one hell of a mess.

"Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people…" (Abe)

4 Likes

A beautiful passage from the wisdom of my beloved guru Frederick Douglass, whose own passages through life, in his memoirs, are a key text we can use to decipher the dedication to evil out of which this country was born. Now we come to the demand which cannot be denied or satisfied: extinguishing the evil before it consumes us.

How to go about that? Douglass is practically my keystone in that quest. Later in his long life, witnessing the onset of all the institutional guarantors of continued servitude, Douglass was not optimistic.

3 Likes

Hedges does bring up something not heard by me on any of our “news” programs. It’s the corruption that the financial elites have it seems as their “right” and how it has worked throughout history. He mentions Biden’s kid being on that board with no experience at all. Same with the Clinton’s “foundation”. This is all a form of corruption that ANY normal citizen does not have access to. We’re lucky to get two (or maybe three) different jobs at various fast food/Walmart type business that if we’re lucky add up to 30 hrs a week with NO benefits. The only industries that will remain in the US will be financial institutions that will not be lending/servicing US entities or citizens, but will be the worlds financial center.

6 Likes

Iraq, Syria, and Iran are adversaries of Israel. Their devastation, and internal fighting could not have been better engineered (except Iran has not yet been finished). It’s a pity that we, along with so much of he Middle East, must pay the price. That the war against Iraq would unloose violent sectarian conflict was known in advance (Cheney outlined in at the time of the first Gulf was).

4 Likes

We know How. We’ve done it a couple of times in my lifetime. But it requires a willingness to accept the consequences that will happen along the way. That’s the part we’ve lost recently and need to get back

3 Likes

It’s survival of the fittest methodology with the victors taking the spoils . It’s our cultural myths writ large in real time coming to a head now .
The millennia stories that have never been seriously challenged will take us all down.
We will either devolve or create a New Story ,guiding principle to safely steer our spaceship Earth on a fantastic voyage .We get to write the ending we do not have to be beholden to the beliefs and thoughts of old books and old men .Usually Rich with borrowed authority .

One for All and All for One .

3 Likes

Yes! The climate crises will continue to propel us as a global citizenry. And globally, the DS and the 1% have gone into hyper-drive with their blatant corruption. Austerity politics has devastated the Many. and the Many are beginning to rebel, all over the world.

Even though the MSM does its best to see that we are clueless about rebellions, word is getting out. The internet, combined with climate catastrophe may very well combine to give us our one, last hope to turn the current trajectory on its head.

5 Likes

All this “deep state” stuff has me questioning whether I’ve accidentally landed on Alex Jones’s website.

4 Likes

Dear Mr Hedges,
Any/many of the comment posters here at CD could have written this essay.
Yes, we do know what the what, how bad, etc, etc.
What’s lacking (in most, if not all of your pieces) is any way forward outta this considerable, massive phucking mess.

5 Likes

THE CONUNDRUM DONALD TRUMP POSES TO 21st-CENTURY LIBERALS: WHICH IS THE ACTUAL “LESSER” OF TWO EVILS (and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin)?

From Chris Hedges’ excellent article:

"The deep state armed ‘moderate’ rebels in Syria in an effort to topple President Bashar Assad, but when it realized it could not control the jihadists—to whom it had provide some $500 million in weapons and assistance—the deep state began to bomb them and arm Kurdish rebels to fight them. These Kurds would later be betrayed by Trump. The ‘war on terror’ spread like a plague from Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Libya to Yemen, which after five years of war is suffering one of the world’s worst humanitarian disasters. The financial cost for this misery and death is between $5 trillion and $8 trillion. The human cost runs into hundreds of thousands of dead and wounded, shattered cities, towns and infrastructure and millions of refugees.

“Trump committed political heresy when he dared to point out the folly of unchecked militarism. He will pay for it. The deep state intends to replace him with someone—perhaps Mike Pence, as morally and intellectually vacuous as Trump—who will do what he or she is told. This is the role of America’s executive: Personify and humanize the empire. Do so with pomp and dignity. Barack Obama—who speciously reinterpreted the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force to give the executive the right to assassinate anyone abroad, even a U.S. citizen, deemed to be a terrorist—excelled at the game.”

However worthy Donald Trump may be of our unreserved disapprobation, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Chris Hedges is correct when he writes that the Orange One “committed political heresy when he dared to point out the folly of unchecked militarism” and simply won’t follow orders.

(He’s a “baaaad fascist,” as I’ve written before.)

Hedges is also correct when he writes that Barack Obama positively “excelled” at putting a palatable, civilized façade over the true face of our neo-fascist empire, smoothing the way for the neocons after Bush/Cheney had totaled and discredited their despicable agenda – only for Obama, under no public pressure whatsoever, to rescue that genocidal agenda and put WWIII back on track.

Which begs the question…

Would we rather have a personally revolting, dangerously unpredictable lunatic in the White House, a human train-wreck whose blundering vileness has ironically impeded the neo-fascist project (which is why the CIA and deep state are moving his impeachment forward)…

OR would we prefer an urbane, eloquent, careerist Democrat or Republican in the White House, a polished water-carrier for neo-fascism, like “Poppy” Bush, Bill Clinton, or Barack Obama – someone who bolsters and expands America’s fascist tendencies while making them mostly invisible (if not in the many war zones our leaders have created, at least in “polite”/Good German circles, here at home)?

Whatever our personal feelings about the candidates’ respective personality issues, should we actually prefer such fascism-advancing establishmentarians to Donald Trump, an admittedly putrescent scumbag who nonetheless inadvertently impedes fascism by his very repugnance and venality?

This puzzle is so extraordinarily difficult to solve that many good liberals have simply given up and decided to reflexively champion the modern Democratic establishment, even though it exemplifies the traditional Republican agenda: neo-fascist, warmongering, election-rigging/voter-purging, journalist-hunting, society-surveilling…

Trump-era liberals, still reeling from Sec. Clinton’s loss to a reality-TV star, venerate George W. Bush, the deep state, our propagandistic intelligence agencies/media, genocidal generals (McRaven, Petraeus, McChrystal, Mattis), and serial torturers like John Brennan, James Clapper, Michael Hayden, etc.

It’s a tragedy – for those individuals, personally, but far more so, for the nation.

(At this point, Trump Derangement Syndrome has birthed a second Cold War, moved the Democratic Party to the GOP’s right, and taken a wrecking ball to what was left of journalistic integrity… save for a few heroes on the margins: Matt Taibbi, Glenn Greenwald, Katie Halper, Rania Khalek, Eva Bartlett, Robert Parry, Max Blumenthal, and Aaron Mate, whose Russiagate-skeptical reporting earned him the prestigious “Izzy” award, so named for legendary American journalist, I.F. “Izzy” Stone.)

Personally, I don’t have to attempt to solve this conundrum, as I find myself in the awkward position of being incapable of bringing myself to vote for either the repugnant, inadvertent non-fascist (Trump) or the smooth-talking establishmentarian who puts fascism on steroids and disappears the left (the Clintons, Barack Obama, etc.).

As my history of activism makes clear, I’d rather have a bona fide, anti-war progressive – like Dennis Kucinich, Bernie Sanders, or Tulsi Gabbard – in the White House, but the undemocratic oligarchy that’s usurped our republic will never allow that to come to pass… no matter how many Americans attempt to vote such a person into the Oval Office.

After 20+ years of faithfully voting for Democrats, their latest strategic moves – outflanking Trump and the overtly bigoted GOP to the right while embracing the agenda of modern Nazis (the neocons, responsible for millions of deaths since 9/11 alone) – have made it impossible for me to determine which option is truly the “lesser” of two unmitigated evils.

(How many devils can dance on the head of a pin…?)

But I’m done letting fear and personal disgust for Republicans like Trump determine my vote. I’m done voting for transparently evil/corrupt politicians. Period.

However hopeless their candidacies might be in our highly undemocratic state – with its far-right political-media establishment and broken/rigged elections – from now on I’m only voting for the candidates that give me hope, however slight, for a non-fascist future.

BERNIE/TULSI 2020!

Sorry, Clintons. Sorry, Mr. Biden. Sorry, you blood-soaked, neo-McCarthyite tools of the deep state. But you will never again get my vote (the last time I so erred was my 2008 vote for Barack Obama, before he demonstrated himself to be one of American fascism’s all-time proponents… maybe I should’ve seen it coming).

10 Likes

I’m flabbergasted. Come on Chris, Trump has NEVER actually opposed wars of US Empire, and has actually increased engagement in the ME.

The Deep State has their man. Trump.

8 Likes

Chris,

While I’m not supporting the many CD comments that hold you responsible for
getting out of the current political mess; (you have implied in many posts that taking to the
streets is a first step), nor those ignorant of the deep state as ruling the military-industrial
complex for the corporate elite; but I do wonder why you haven’t mentioned Julian Assange
as a symbol and reality for the tyranny and police state that resides in the offing?
You’re a journalist; an intellectual and moral progeny of James Luther Adams, and his

mentor Paul Tillich; so the demonic in world history is no surprise to you —as a Christian

minister why not label the beast for what it is, neo- Nazism in America, as it’s now happening

here (apologies to Sinclair Lewis).

2 Likes

It is important to point out the dynamic around those who make up the deep state. Not everyone in the cabal profits from the stocks, some just profit by being able to keep their jobs - the cogs in this machine we call the deep state. These are the second most dangerous in the system - the most dangerous are those who are only in it for power, and money cannot change their investment in the corruption.

There is a power dynamic within the bureaucracy that is being maintained. There is external influence, such as the prices of stocks for corporations from the actions of the deep state.

There is aspect of secrecy that is maintained by the government officials and those that deal with technology.

The deep state is a tacit understanding between several people in key positions in the government paper shuffle, the government secret services and armed forces, the corporations that weaponize them, the banks, and the CEOs that profit from the machine.

Someone has to make an effort to identify these people.
Exposure comes next.

And then we can do something about it.
Until then…
I have an app to finish.

1 Like