Home | About | Donate

The Evidence Keeps Piling Up: Unions Are Good For US Workers (Very Good)

The Evidence Keeps Piling Up: Unions Are Good For US Workers (Very Good)

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

With most of the largest organized workforces in the U.S. going to the bargaining table before the end of next year, "it is likely that more workers will be seeking raises through the collective bargaining process in 2015–2016 than at any other point in recent American labor history."

"Collective bargaining is our best tool for raising wages in America. It should be front and center as Congress considers policy and as presidential candidates announce agendas."
—AFL-CIO

If it were possible, it would be better to by-pass unions and go to worker owned co-ops directly. No one will ever look after your interests better than yourselves on all levels. While the article is correct that unions raise wages, and support sick leave through collective bargaining, collective ownership is better. Much better.
I was a member of two unions in my younger working days, the AFT and the Brotherhood of Railway Workers. Neither did much for me, but it did create a gulf between management and us that adversely affected the work, especially for new workers unfamiliar with the job. And it didn't add to the skillful approach to working as a team, together. Co-ops solve that.

"Evidence Keeps Piling up..." Yea, since the Wagner Act (National Labor Relations Act of 1935) was signed into law (thank you FDR) authorizing workers to form unions: "...a foundational statute of US labor law which guarantees basic rights of private sector employees to organize into trade unions, engage in collective bargaining for better terms and conditions at work, and take collective action including strike if necessary. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Labor_Relations_Act ) Unions literally created the MIDDLE CLASS and their decline in the last three and one-half decades correlates to the dramatic deterioration of the middle class in the U.S. (and elsewhere in the world).

The evidence that is piling up is just how much corporations and states like AZ and ID (and others trying to also become "right to work" states) have sought to strip workers of any rights such as retirement funds, health insurance, overtime pay, sick pay, family leave, disability, and LIVING WAGES. Since St. Raygun took office and destroyed PATCO with intent to undermine ALL unions in both the public and private sectors, workers pay has stagnated and benefits have virtually disappeared while CEO pay has skyrocketed (300 to 600% more than average salary of workers) and corporate profits have set records...work productivity has gone up and compensation has not for the most part.

Union membership is on the rise and for GOOD REASON...corporations are not going to willingly increase workers' wages and benefits out of the "goodness of their hearts" (what hearts?) regardless of what GWB asserted (corporations will do right by their workers and the environment, which translated means: remove regulations and undermine regulatory oversight so they can operate with impunity, neglect, and avarice). Collective bargaining is the only way to combat corporate greed...unity of purpose and standing firm worked in the past and will again in the future.

I support all unions that don't interfere in the internal affairs and elections of foreign countries ( actively supporting coups ) where the leaders were democratically elected. And, which, said elections were overseen/observed and certified as fair and legal by The Carter Center. ( They aren't allowed to oversee/observe U.S. elections, btw ) I'm having some doubts about the need for Police Unions, too. Of course, I've seen Serpico, Chinatown and LA Confidential each about 15 times, too. :sunglasses:

Today in America, unions have a secure place in our industrial life. Only a handful of reactionaries harbor the ugly thought of breaking unions and depriving working men and women of the right to join the union of their choice. I have no use for those -- regardless of their political party -- who hold some vain and foolish dream of spinning the clock back to days when organized labor was huddled, almost as a hapless mass. Only a fool would try to deprive working men and women of the right to join the union of their choice.—
Dwight D. Eisenhower

..Every advance in this half-century--Social Security, civil rights, Medicare, aid to education, one after another--came with the support and leadership of American Labor.—Jimmy Carter

The American Labor Movement has consistently demonstrated its devotion to the public interest. It is, and has been, good for all America.—John F. Kennedy

Our labor unions are not narrow, self-seeking groups. They have raised wages, shortened hours, and provided supplemental benefits. Through collective bargaining and grievance procedures, they have brought justice and democracy to the shop floor.—John F. Kennedy

If any man tells you he loves America, yet hates labor, he is a liar. If any man tells you he trusts America, yet fears labor, he is a fool.—Abraham Lincoln

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.—Abraham Lincoln

All that harms labor is treason to America.—Abraham Lincoln

I am glad to see that a system of labor prevails under which laborers can strike when they want to.
—Abraham Lincoln

It is to the real advantage of every producer, every manufacturer and every merchant to cooperate in the improvement of working conditions, because the best customer of American industry is the well-paid worker.—Franklin D. Roosevelt

“Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
~Ronald Reagan
YES THIS IS THE SAME GUY THAT BUSTED AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS UNION AND THEN IN A SPEECH SAID THAT CORPORATIONS CAN DO THE SAME AND IT WOULD BE OK WITH HIM.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Well well well: so Abe Lincoln was a Marxist! As for those Commies, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Carter............

Hi Daddio, unions don't control anything their soul purpose is to get the best deal they can for the people they represent( members). Management controls and makes all the decisions. Management can say no.

SEATTLE — The union representing about 5,000 teachers and other workers in the Seattle public schools said Tuesday night that contract talks had broken down and that the first teachers strike here in 30 years would begin on Wednesday, which had been the first scheduled day of classes.

30 years without a strike even though In Seattle, teachers have gone six years with no state cost-of-living pay increase, even as the city began to boom with rising rents; five years with no state increase in funding for educator health care. The teachers are also fighting to get back the tax funds that have been taken from public schools and given to private schools.

Hey George. Tooooo funny man. I can't stop laughing. You have made my day.

From what I've seen since the 1950s, businesses and services shut down not because of union demands but generally because companies or governments don't honor their agreements.

I've worked in union factories, non-union factories and been a "company" man as well. Two of those factories were shut down by the companies rather than honor their contracts.

In the capitalist world of today, without the historic accomplishments of unions, we would have de facto slave labor for the vast majority of workers everywhere.

Many people in the USA seem to be very individualistic and against solidarity. The business class have plenty of unions (Chambers of Commerce, for example) to enforce their leverage. If ordinary workers do not cooperate to push for change, they have no hope.

Yes, I have always said profit sharing where the employees own their company and share in the profits of their company, is the best scenario. Because so many unions are corrupt and have sold out their rank and file members, but let me add, that most people are better off working for a corrupt union than a corrupt company with no union representation.