Home | About | Donate

The Execution of Nimr Al-Nimr: One More Reason to Re-evaluate the Toxic US-Saudi Alliance

The Execution of Nimr Al-Nimr: One More Reason to Re-evaluate the Toxic US-Saudi Alliance

Medea Benjamin

The brutal Saudi execution of Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr Al-Nimr has led to protests around the globe, as well as the burning of the Saudi Embassy in Tehran, followed by the Saudi severing of relations with Iran. This exacerbation of Sunni-Shia tensions is the result of the reckless Saudi action against a popular, nonviolent Shia leader. Also reckless is the US government’s response, which has failed to condemn the Saudi government and distance itself from the abusive regime.

Re-evaluate the toxic US-Saudi alliance? Too much value for the Third Reich to ever re-evaluate this horrible and toxic alliance. Besides the purchase of billions of dollars in US armaments, the Saudi's have the alliance of the petro-dollar which the US made the deal to protect militarily at all costs the Saudi regime.

I agree, I love Medea, but at times, she seems so sophomoric!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I agree, not just ceremonial!

the execution of Sheik Nimr Al-Nimr was a premeditated provocation, likely with US approvals or assurances, much as the US "leadership" approved the Saudi attacks and war crimeson Yemeni civilians.

Reapppraisal of our relationship with SA is about as likely as with Israel, both racist theocracies ruled by extremism, intolerance and violence, and both coddled, armed, and supported with billions in annual "aid" much of which is hidden. The US has chosen its despicable allies to further the power of global corporate dominance and for-profit MICC endless war-machine, a true "Axis of Evil", gaining profit and advantage from the brutal killings and displacement of millions. Daesh is a brutal racist reflection of the Axis' racist brutality and contempt for the lives of all others.

Militarism in the US is being enlarged and obscenely funded at the expense of peace, a sustainable/liveable planet and civilian priorities, and that extends to our poorly chosen criminal "allies" as well.

Judge a man by the friends he keeps, judge a government but the friends it keeps. As I told a friend today if it wasn't for the goodness of the American people this country would be the scum of the earth.

Though they are generally politically ignorant, I too find most to be good people. That's why Bernie is making such a hit with them.

It's a wonder that there are any good people left considering the vile propaganda, meanness, corruption and nastiness they are constantly subjected to by the media.

Hey, Andrew, pretty cold out there, eh? - you should know by now my understanding of our ruling class/1%/corporate criminals and their malignant influence on the US and the world - I guess I was referencing* poorly chosen* as if the US actually lived-up to its claimed promise, or wishful hoping for such. I have written many times on US MICC war-machine crimes against humanity in many places/states around the world over many decades/centuries to be misunderstood now. All the best in the new year, we will need it......