Home | About | Donate

The Facts Proving Jeremy Corbyn’s Election Triumph

The Facts Proving Jeremy Corbyn’s Election Triumph

Jonathan Cook

Watching the BBC's coverage of the election, you could be excused for taking away two main impressions of Thursday night's results of the UK election. First, that Theresa May had a terrible, self-sabotaging campaign; and second that, while Jeremy Corbyn may be celebrating, he decisively lost the election.

Though the British system is slightly less corrupt than their American counterparts, Progressives everywhere should feel that we're gaining momentum. Corporate Britain did everything they could to demonize, marginalize and ignore Corbyn and yet he almost won. This also happened despite Corbyn's unpopular stand towards allowing more refugees into England because of the mess that England created in the Middle East.
If Sanders, Clinton or Trump had even suggested that the U.S. accept refugees from Iraq and Libya because of the illegal wars we launched against them, I am sure they would have lost by a landslide. In this regard the Brits are still more politically enlightened than their American counterparts, but the good news is that our Progressives don't have to take such a stand to win the American electorate.
Theresa May of course will act like Trump and tell the Brits that she has a mandate to further undermine the public interest in favor of corporate profits (but in not so blatant terms!) while slashing taxes on the wealthy and increasing taxes for everyone else. Corbyn's time hasn't come just yet, but hopefully he is on the cusp to restoring hope to the bottom half of British society.

The closing paragraph is the most important part of this article.

Allegiance to core ideals still matters, and I don't give a damn what the pragmatists have to say.

We've been trying it their way--a drift into oligarchy is what we have to show for it.

"but the good news is that our Progressives don't have to take such a stand to win the American electorate..."

Why are you saying that it's a good thing that US progressives cannot call out our government's destructive war policies, for fear of losing votes? Because that is what your statement implies.

I, moreover, don't agree. I think Americans are sick of the wars, and I think any candidate who boldly condemns them will win popular support, even while the press and media, and the rest of the political class, excoriate him or her.

More on Jeremy Corbyn's "win."

"It is that we woke up in a different country – one we didn’t know existed."

Despite the oft seen comparison, Sanders is no Corbyn ..... its time, past time, we rewarded people of principle, not political pragmatists, with our vote

Thank you so much for the link to this beautiful story. Yes!

My statement that..."but the good news is that our Progressives don't have to take such a stand to win the American electorate...", is referring to the fact that most Americans would never accept the position of opening our doors to more refugees. Historically Americans have always been reluctant (as compared to Canada or Germany for example) to let in refugees despite the fact that the U.S. government is responsible for the refugee problem. I do agree with you that most Americans are sick and tired of the endless war that their State is waging and that Progressives should never stop in their efforts to end all wars. However ending wars and accepting more immigrants are two different issues with the majority of the electorate. Many Trump supporters claim that they are steadfastly against all of America's wars of aggression, yet they would never support the government if it were to accept a million displaced Syrians at home.

Ah, okay, my mistake for misinterpreting you, though perhaps your language was a little vague in that regard, leading to my misunderstanding. I agree with what you say here.

Also look at the electoral map of Britain, both geographic and distorted to account for the weight of small but populous election districts.

Labour under J. Corbyn won most (but not all) of London. They won a spot at Birmingham. They won a strip of south Wales, the island of Anglesey, a strip from county Flint northeast Wales eastwards through Manchester and a bit further east, and a patch in northeast England that once voted (I think) for the UKIP. They won little else.

Half of Northern Ireland went for the Democrat Unionists. The rest went somewhere else. I heard that Sinn Fein won 7 districts. Sinn Fein's policy is to disdain Westminster and never attend sessions of Parliament.

The Scottish lowlands were a mixed tossup.

Most of the rest of the country voted Conservative, including a strip of Scotland's North Sea coast centered on Aberdeen, supposedly to express rejection to another independence referendum. It all rather echoed the USA vote last November, when the coasts voted for Hillary, and not much else did. And Hillary by overmargins in the counties she did win got more popular votes than Donald Trump....

For Britain, it makes for some difficult policy-making in the next several months going forward.