Home | About | Donate

The Farms of the Future

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/05/farms-future

1 Like

Great article CD, please keep them coming.

2 Likes

A useful exploration of the future farming possibilities.

Hi ReconFire :
This is a great article! And when a person thinks about it , a lot of those awful pesticides came from companies that make war poisons too.
When I grew up my grandmother lived with us and had a wonderful garden. When I moved away, I went to the store and bought some lemons, and bit into one----oh__sour! But the lemons at home sweetened on the tree, and the store ones weren’t.
The cantaloupes were sweeter from the garden, and the strawberries and boysenberries: actually everything that was allowed to ripen before picking tasted wonderfully.
It’s hard to find actual good in many grocery stores, and never at any fast food places.
So farmers markets are wonderful— but even better is raising your own. : )

2 Likes

Hey stardustIBID, if I’m not mistaken, the first chemical fertilizers and pesticides were actually by-products of the chemical weapons manufactures.
I’m actually old enough to remember when fruits and vegetables sold in the grocery stores, were bred for taste. Now days everything is bred for it’s shipping quality, with no consideration for taste at all. It becomes really cool when you give someone vegetables grown organically from standard varieties, and they tell you it’s the best tasting vegetable of that kind they’ve ever had.

1 Like

This is a fine article by Isabel Marlens on agriculture, and thank you for publishing this.

1 Like