Home | About | Donate

The Ferguson Effect: Why Wesley Bell’s Primary Victory in St. Louis Matters

The Ferguson Effect: Why Wesley Bell’s Primary Victory in St. Louis Matters

Frank Leon Roberts

On Tuesday, in what will go down as one of the most stunning political upsets in St. Louis County history, Wesley Bell, a criminal justice reform advocate, unseated Bob McCulloch in the Democratic primary for the St. Louis County Prosecutor’s seat. McCulloch, an incumbent who has been in office for nearly three decades, is best remembered as the prosecutor responsible for overseeing the grand jury proceedings that resulted in the 2014 non-indictment of officer Darren Wilson in the killing of Ferguson teenager Michael Brown.

Bob McCulloch’s endorsement of Law Enforcement sanctioned murder brought that community together to reject the racial hatred that had risen to power.

The lack of comments to this article is very telling…

I can’t speak to the particulars of this jurisdiction, but in most jurisdictions murder has no statute of limitations. Michael Brown’s family may yet see justice.

Racism is so yesterday. What’s this guys position on Israel.

As I posted on a similar topic on this site, a change in prosecutors is key to criminal justice reform in this country. Bell is needed in the worst way in Ferguson.
Don’t know how many of you are familiar with the Justice 2020 Initiative led by Brooklyn’s new DA Eric Gonzalez, first Latino DA in the state of New York. Then there’s Fair and Just Prosecution that “…brings together newly-elected local prosecutors as part of a network of leaders committed to promoting a justice system grounded in fairness, equity, compassion, and fiscal responsibility.” Philadelphia’s DA, former civil rights and criminal defense attorney Larry Krasner is certainly shaking things up. We have a lot of work to do, but these are excellent first steps.

This is good news. I shared this article on my FB wall.

Black Lives Matter.

I agree.
This brings some of light into the darkness of our political scene.