Home | About | Donate

The Fight For Democracy

The Fight For Democracy

Jasmine Gomez
The result of Citizens United is that elected officials listen to their funders (the wealthy few) more than they listen to everyday people living in this country.
"Rather than stay silent and wait for the Supreme Court to change its mind, people are fighting for political equality - people are fighting, that is, for the idea that everyone should have an equal say at all levels of the political system." (Photo: Light Brigading/flickr/cc)

“The result of Citizens United is that elected officials listen to their funders (the wealthy few) more than they listen to everyday people living in this country.” ?

I hate to sound cynical, but our “elected officials” were catering to the rich long before Citizens United. You could go back to Buckley vs Valeo, where the Supreme Court decreed that money=free speech.

But you might as well go back to the Founding Fathers (hallowed be their names) who set up a system to put and keep wealthy white slave owners on top. I was impressed to learn that (adjusting to 2016 dollars) (slave owning) George Washington was the wealthiest president before Trump. (slave owning) Thomas Jefferson was next.

Justice Louis Brandeis said it 100 years ago: “We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can’t have both.”

The only way to eliminate the outsized influence of the obscenely rich on our “democracy” is to eliminate the obscenely rich.

I was made well aware of the rotten system well before Citizens United, and it was a major corporate lobbyist who told me the details. We already have our Constitutional Amendment, the First, but the Supremes just lie about the facts when they want to, as they have done since the first nine justices were seated.

Paul Ryan got $500,000 from the Koch Brothers for his work in getting the tax cut passed. Proof that we do have the finest government that money can buy…