Home | About | Donate

"The Fight Isn't Over," Say Anti-War Groups as 139 House Democrats Vote With GOP to Reject 10% Pentagon Budget Cut

While voicing disappointment in the amendment’s defeat, Win Without War tweeted that just a few years ago it “would have been unthinkable” for 93 members of Congress to vote in favor of a 10% cut to the Pentagon budget.

Leave it to liberals to try to put positive spin on nearly 80% legislative rejection of a drop-in-the-bucket reduction in world historical mammoth military spending. Joe Biden getting elected is such an inspiring prospect.

11 Likes

It can normally be found on govtrack (add .us), but I don’t think it’s listed yet.

1 Like

“The grift that keeps on killing.”

6 Likes

Oh well, I guess we need to learn that endless war is part of , “the new normal”. Although endless war is not so new now. Certainly nothing has changed since the days of Jesus when he said the prince of this world is Beelzebub." (the Devil). I can’t speak for others but looking back most of my 71 years in this world have been rather Hellish. So I have no doubt about where we are. But I continue to lean toward the positive. It could be worse. I could be a homeless, crippled veteran thanks to a stint as a soldier in, “endless war.” Thank God Almighty, life here is only so long. I will stick to it to the bitter end. I want back my inheritance, Heaven, my reward!

1 Like

We live in a neoconservative environment Republicans and Democrats behave more like two factions than two separate parties.

11 Likes

Actually, there are 18 states that haven’t yet had their primaries. I’m no elections maven, but there are several races where progressives are challenging entrenched Democratic opponents. One is Alex Morse challenging incumbent Richie Neal: There’s an article on this race right here on CD today. In Arizona, Eva Putzova is challenging another “centrist” Democrat, Tom O’Halleran. In Missouri, Cori Bush is challenging incumbent William Clay, Jr. There are several others. I’d love to but don’t know who voted against this amendment, but all these progressives support Medicare for All and the Green New Deal.

8 Likes

Hi dreamdance:
IoI-----your term ,“ass-ide,” is wonderful! : )

1 Like

I live in The 2nd Congressional District in WA. Our Congressman Rick Larsen (D) WA never met a military spending bill he didn’t like. He’s very hard to get rid of because of all the moderate Ds and Rs living in his district. I did vote against him in the primary for August 4th. Larsen needs to be challenged by a strong progressive who’s not afraid to call him out on his record.

9 Likes

There should be a distinction made between the progressives and the so-called ‘liberals’’. It’
the liberals who are voting for the military budgets. Don’t get sucked into the term liberal, it’s been hijacked with the rest of the D party.

4 Likes

To the congresspeople who voted to continue this bloated offense budget (and I mean this in the most respectful way):
You stupid fucks! Are you aware that an aircraft carrier group can’t lick a simple microbe? An F-35 fighter jet (even if you could make one that works) can’t restore the rain forest. I really don’t mind you guys committing collective suicide, but do you really have to take the rest of us with you?

8 Likes

10% was very inadequate incrementalism all along. Still fun though.

1 Like

“Liberals” care about social issues ONLY. Progressives care about income inequality, “Offense” Department spending, the environment, etc.

1 Like

I rather think a list of offenders is meaningless. They take turns voting against us as circumstances demand. The list of offenders rotates as they see fit. Get rid of one and he or she is replaced by another one. The idea that there are good Democrats (or Republicans) is next to meaningless.

Major parties need to end. The only thing to do is (a) never vote for an incumbent and (b) if there’s a non-major party candidate, vote for her or him. (BTW, Sanders counts as a Democrat. He sold out. Gabbard did too when she endorsed Biden. Even the sainted AOC endorsed Biden.)

3 Likes

We had an old saying when I played basketball in college. Finishing second is just like finishing last.
You still lost.

2 Likes

I just want to remind everyone that it is very important to vote blue no matter who this November. It is a strategy that just keeps on giving. The recipient that keeps on getting is always the Congressional Military Industrial Complex.

5 Likes

If you do the math, the headline is misleading, implying that 135 is some sort of party minority breaking ranks.

The real headline is this: “Most Democrats vote against the cuts.”

Only 98 supported the cut proposal.

9 Likes

“Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power” Benito Mussolini

“Capitalism is the theory that the worst people, acting from their worst motives, will somehow produce the most good” William Blum

11 Likes

The House Democrats, especially in leadership, are ancient. Stoyer, Clyburn, Pelosi… relics of the Cold War. Bought and sold all. The good news is they’re all going bye-bye soon. Not soon enough, but… And, if this 93 number was 135 we’d have something to really talk about. When committee assignments and what have you are divvied out.
Biden is even worse than The Old Gang of 3; see his incoherent gibberish on Ongoing Juiced Up Russia Mania , Widespread China Panic and The NATO Ghetto/Cash Laundering School of The Colonialized Americas.
We need campaign finance reform/publicly funded elections, like yesterday. Additionally, why are folks here so sure Green Party types ( Sen. Sinema/D-Arizona ) can’t be bought off by the MIC & DoD lovers/grifters/grafters as well? Case in point: the Congressional Black Caucus, the Hispanic and Asian Congress Critters are sell outs to their struggling constituents, too.
" All we are saying is give peace a chance "

4 Likes

The fundamental problem is this. There a wide variety of issues that progressives embrace such as Medicare 4 all and wanting to see that Military budget slashed in the USA.

The DNC tries to claim they will address all of these issues under the banner of the Democratic party which is absolutely false. They have not done anything like that for 50+ years. This progressive caucus accomplished nothing yet claim that if they persist their time is coming , again a demonstrably false statement.

I do not think the DNC down in the USA can be reformed from within. It sold out long ago and they know they can take far too many of the progressive votes for granted (They JOKE about it saying they have no where else to go)

I do not think there any distinction to be made between the progressives and the liberals just as long as those progressives remain inside the DNC and evidence of this is there for all to see with votes such as this.

If the true progressives and left want to be seen as distinct from the “liberals” in the DNC they have to leave the party and form a third party. They will get far more done.

4 Likes

This fight is over as far as I am concerned. I’m voting for the Green Party candidates. I will take a look at the Democrats in the next endless and rather pointless election cycle, and I may vote Green in that election as well.

4 Likes