Home | About | Donate

The Fire Burns, the Caldron Bubbles

The Fire Burns, the Caldron Bubbles

Robert C. Koehler

America serves up its news in a caldron from hell, or so it sometimes seems. The fragments are all simmering in the same juice: bombs and drones and travel bans, slashed health care, police shootings, the Confederate flag.

Double, double, toil and trouble . . .

"It will take another movement of ordinary people to continue this evolution. I know it’s underway:"
I pray to God that you are right.

I admire the disability groups courage to fight back to prevent the loss of their basic human rights. Going back to the Kennedy administration when DDS was created. Department of Developmental Services. The nation changed though the personal and family experience of our President. Recognized by a family. the options for a person with disabilities. In this case the President's sister. While this is a great achievement, I think Rose Kennedy gets some credit here. It is not the same conversation today and our president would do well to learn from history.

Years (& years) ago my (ex) husband wore a tee-shirt to work, as a Pac Bell lineman, that read "nuke a gay baby seal for christ"...after that all religious tee-shirts were banned for work. Ma Bell even ordered momogramed shirts for all outside workers but they all got the name Max on it!

Keep writing, Mr. Koehler. It is vitally important that we begin to realize the 'kinship' between the stories in your cauldron. The US focus on war spawns the rest.

First, a minor correction: The capital of South Carolina is COLUMBIA, not
Charleston. Columbia is smack in the middle of our small state, in the area
called "the Midlands." Charleston, historic, beautiful Charleston is on the east
coast in the area we call the Lowcountry/ Greenville, a beautiful little city, is
in what we call the Upcountry. Enough geographical correction....onward
to what I really wanna rant about.
I was taught ages ago, about "American Exceptionalism." I believe many of
us swallowed that BigFatLie lockstock&barrel: Item 1: we spend the greater
part of our national budget on WelfarefortheMilitaryIndustrialCorporateComplex--
not to lend a helping hand to those in our society who need it, but to bolster the
CEO paychecks for Lockheed, Raytheon, GeneralDynamics,Westinghouse, GE,
and their greedy misanthropic ilk which make WAR on the rest of the world.
Item 2, we are still fighting misanthropic corrupt politicians who serve the corrupt
agenda of those who have been for decades denying health coverage:THE ONLY
WESTERNIZED NATION to so deny it to its citizens. Item 3: we are still murdering
our black citizens as if JimCrow, segregation & the Civil War & the Emancipation
Proclamation had never been proclaimed. Item 4, although racist, ignorant cops
murder our black brothers&sisters w/impunity, juries either acquit them outright or
are ended w/o a clear verdict. Item 4: BigPharma still rips us off w/sinful prices.
How many houses, luxury cars and skyhigh salaries can the CEOs of the MICC &
BigPharma&poisonous chemical companies absorb?
The USA is exceptional only in its worship of the dollar. Makes me sick.

No pun intended.

makes no logical sense does it 'perfesser'? people who already have more that they can spend in a life time wanting more, more, more! they're playing a game called "the kid who die owning all the toys wins." why just recently we learned that five men own as much wealth as half the world's population. we think the rich just take advantage of the little guy, but they're in a fierce competition with each other. did you ever see the movie "trading places"? it's all just a game, a nasty, nasty game and we're the pawns.

You hit the nail on the head. Bravo to you.

just tidbits of thoughts as i read this article

"Some people’s lives just don’t matter. Or they’re in the way."

i watched an interesting interview last week. the guest suggested a different twist on "black lives matter." she said we might turn that on its head and say, "black deaths matter!"

"We condemn, we bring to trial, the armed hatred and racism of individuals, but far too rarely do we ever bring the whole system, or a serious segment of it, to trial."

yep! it's call systemic racism which rears its ugly head whenever we see that black, hispanic or poor people do not experience equal treatment under the law. i remember what political humorist, chris rock once observed--paraphrasing, "when you go to court you can see why they call it the 'justice system'. you look around and it's just us!" from day one when the 3/5 compromise wormed its way into the u.s. constitution systemic racism was embedded in the law of the land.

as long as we bend knee to the political class begging them to grow a conscience, nothing will change. i think we need a new, improved constitution written not by political "experts" but written by the people. in that way we can put an end to systemic racism and sexism. however, no law can force a bigot to change his attitude. a policeman stops a car for a minor misdemeanor infraction like failure to signal for a lane change, a broken taillight or selling loose cigarettes and a black man ends up in the morgue. time after time the jury finds him not guilty because that uniformed person says "i feared for my life." hmm, how and why do these frightened and bigoted scaredie-cats become police? too afraid to protect themselves yet claim they're protecting me. well, that's my job! i don't scare that easily.

every day the district attorney and staff work hand-in-hand with the police who have arrested a dangerous criminal or marijuana smoker. the police presented as calm, cool trained observers give their "expert" testimony while you and i cannot be trusted to know what we've seen. makes me wonder how the prosecutor presents the case when the accused is a buddy?

"It will take another movement of ordinary people to continue this evolution. I know it’s underway: I feel the courage, for instance, of the disabled die-in participants. We’re at a new beginning."

another movement? let's make this one stick! we seem to be running out of time. life presents us with many lessons and we must learn from our mistakes. this moment just might be our final exam.