Home | About | Donate

The Five Foreign Policy Questions Every Candidate Should Be Asked

The Five Foreign Policy Questions Every Candidate Should Be Asked

Trevor Timm

It’s amazing that with almost two presidential debates every week, many critical foreign policy questions have gone unasked and unanswered - even while the television networks spend entire hours discussing when and where the US should bomb next.

These topics that will be crucial for the next president, yet are rarely if ever brought up. Why aren’t they being raised at every opportunity?

I'm not exactly a fan of Andrew Bacevich, but he was interviewed on Democracy Now (either on Thursday or Friday) and he spoke about this issue.

Here is the link:
http://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/10/andrew_bacevich_why_is_no_candidate

Essentially his answer was that to touch on any of these matters (although not all were specified during his interview) would lead to an examination of America--as empire; and no politician wished to touch that 3rd rail at this time.

When Sanders defended his record regarding U.S. imperial ventures into Honduras and Central America, he certainly demonstrated that he's no fan of America's MIC-led imperial overreach. THAT was good news. Of course, Hillary Clinton tried to paint that as something else entirely. Some call her tactics red-baiting.

She is such an unapologetic water-carrier for the MIC and the corporations its martial muscle is in place to protect that all she can do is belittle, misrepresent, and malign Mr. Sanders FAR more ethical and wise positions.

While Sanders would have to broach this subject with delicacy, I think his true sentiments are against the spread of empire by vile and violent means.

" The television networks spend entire hours discussing when and where the US should bomb next."

One thing that I can agree with Trump on, is when he says the corporate MSM is very corrupt. What is the reason they do not ask relevant questions like: WHY IS THE US BOMBING AND MURDERING SO MANY INNOCENT PEOPLE AND COMMITTING WAR CRIMES? Answer: " the US has sold billions of $ worth of weapons to the Saudi's".

Amerika's business is the war business, one of the best business rackets ever devised by man for egregious profits by manufacturing enemies to supply the demand for its murderous perdition of people in foreign countries, by demonizing them as terrorists, when their terrorism is miniscule compared to the terrorism budget ( trillions of $$$$$) of the US Empire.

President Eisenhower warned us about the MIC a long time ago, but now this Frankenstein monster, that has become a military dictatorship, is so out of control it could very well start a third world war.

There have been many dystopian novels written about what is happening in the US Fourth Reich, but Dawn Blair's, America 2014 An Orwellian Tale, points out much of what is happening today.
* The other day, I was reading an article which talked about billboards with cameras in them to film those that read them, using some of the sophisticated software that analyses reactions through facial and body reactions and facial recognition software, so the company will have a good idea to whom to send advertising and offers to.
* Dawn predicted those, too, carried to a maximum security degree. Gulags? Torture? They are covered, too. The only error is in the title. She missed it by a few, but, I fear, only a very few years.
;-})

BINGO!!!!
Our Government has become infested with these Zionist Israelis- Ask yourselves who controls the White House, the Senate, the Congress, the Supreme Court, State Department, the Justice Department, the Defense Department, Treasury, the Economy, Wall Street, Goldman Sachs, Federal Reserve, Big Media, Hollywood, Television, the NEWS, Music, Radio, Advertising, the CFR, THE FED????
Yes, and when the President of the United States War College says that the Mossad did 9-11, leaves little wiggle room- But, alas, just as in the fate of the USS Liberty, this is far too controversial A subject to get into in these shallow, limited, overly choreographed "debates"....

I purposefully took those words out of context to illustrate a point about language. Those words control the thinking about whatever subject is being discussed. In this case they would prevent discussion about what the author is asking mainly because they are like a magnet that pulls discussion towards them. While it is certainly true that Israeli interests influence our policy in the Middle East, they also control our discussion about it.

Many on the left and in the Middle East fail to realize that as soon as you bring up Israel then the discussion becomes about Israel and only Israel.

The author asked about why foreign policy isn't discussed but you asked about why Israeli influence isn't discussed. Maybe at least in part you answered his question about foreign policy. You may rightfully question that Israeli influence isn't discussed enough in relation to our foreign policy but if every time foreign policy in the Middle East is brought up that the discussion is steered to Israel then only those willing to discuss Israel speak up while those who wish to discuss foreign policy do not. In the end NEITHER get discussed.

Why isn't Hillary asked about Libya and it's after effects in Syria? - someone asks. Another person interjects and says what about Israel's influence? That ends up with the question about Libya never having to be answered doesn't it.

A hard truth but reality. People should discuss foreign policy without always bringing up Israel because reality will end up discussing its role anyway but not exclusively. You can say Israeli concerns may have had a role in Libya but that is in general terms to the ME and is hardly a major factor in what happened. But if you always want to vent about Israel then you actually play that game where the foreign policy is never really discussed in depth... Cause didn't you know? It's all about Israel... Even when it isn't.

There have been many dystopian novels written about what is happening in the US Fourth Reich, but Dawn Blair's, America 2014 An Orwellian Tale, points out much of what is happening today.
* The other day, I was reading an article which talked about billboards with cameras in them to film those that read them, using some of the sophisticated software that analyses reactions through facial and body reactions and facial recognition software, so the company will have a good idea to whom to send advertising and offers to.
* Dawn predicted those, too, carried to a maximum security degree. Gulags? Torture? They are covered, too. The only error is in the title. She missed it by a few, but, I fear, very few years.
;-})

Spoken like A true Israeli Zionist apologist, with your dual identity cheerleader sister in drag- YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THE MIDDLE EAST WITHOUT TALKING ABOUT ISRAEL- Nice work there Mr. Confusion....

An ability to discuss an issue rationally without insults or emotional excess is how change happens. You want to vent and I can understand that up to a point but this is only a forum. Perhaps you should enter an Israeli forum and express your views to those who need to hear them? In any case, l expressed mine. I think venting like yours accomplishes nothing and a one size fits all answer (Israel controls everything) is counterproductive.

Your comment's emotional excess only gets you dismissed as a ranter in people's minds as they read it. It is way over the top but let's say you showed proof of what you said then that would be different. However you didn't offer proof and instead you just rattled off a very long list which certainly would seem to need some proof because it was a long list and sounds unbelievable on the face of it.

Even the one specific about what the 'President of the U S War College' said about Mossad and 9-11, you offer no name and no actual quote or link. You just want people to believe something because you said it?

If you had made an effort to prove your statements that would be one thing but instead you insult me for what? You didn't even read what I wrote... At least not intelligently anyway! If you had you might notice that I don't say anything about whether Israel is or isn't doing anything. I pointed out only that one of the reasons that foreign policy is not discussed much is because somebody always wants to make everything about Israel. Part of your frustration is that you get upset because to you everything is about Israel from the White House to the economy. Okay prove it! You said a hell of a lot don't forget. So some proof would keep people listening to what you have to say.

Instead of proofs you insult me.

My point to Drew was that in a discussion about foreign policy that as soon as someone brings up Israel then the whole discussion becomes about Israel and not about foreign policy anymore. How could anyone talk about foreign policy when they'd have to talk about whether our government (all three branches), our economy, Hollywood and even advertising etc are under the control (your word) of a foreign power?

Stop venting and start debating with facts not emotions.

BTW - it is known as the >>> U S Army War College