Home | About | Donate

The “Freedom Cities” Campaign: Resistance through Progress at the Local Level

The “Freedom Cities” Campaign: Resistance through Progress at the Local Level

Ronald Newman

On Saturday night, people at more than 2,200 events around the nation tuned in for the inaugural event of People Power, a new platform harnessing nationwide grassroots resistance to the Trump administration’s assault on our Constitution and our values. At the event, we announced “Freedom Cities,” a campaign that provides a concrete plan for the People Power team to play offense in cities and towns across the country.

WATCH THE RECORDING

I have been Googling for 10 minutes and I can't find a printed list (I want city names, not just an unlabeled map) of Freedom Cities. Can anyone reply with a link?

There is no list of Freedom Cities. The map indicates where livestreaming events were held, which was mostly in people's houses. There was a map for finding locatons based on zip codes. I attended one of these events and there were about 30 people there. The speakers at the ACLU meeting in Miami were excellent and it is worth watching the video. If you get involved you can try to turn your city into a "Freedom City."

Why don't you incorporate "Freedom Cities" inside "Indivisible" and "Our Revolution" or
"Sanctuary Cities"? Of course there are many more but they all need to be consolidated and come together HUGELY.

United we stand, divided we fall.

As an aside, considering the extremism of groups like the Westboro Baptist Church, a TED talk by a young woman who awakened to the contradictions and hypocrisy and left

I don't see the purpose. Freedom cities is specifically about civil rights because it is a program of the ACLU and don't forget the ACLU defends in court everyone's right to free speech, even neonazis. Indivisible really isn't an organization per se but started out as guide to protesting and lobbying and has become a way to get people organized to affect issues that are currently on the agenda of the House and Senate. People from both the center left and progressive wings of the Democratic party are involved. Our revolution is a left wing group and is aimed at getting progressives elected and enacting a progressive agenda. I agree we need to be united an set aside our differences for the moment to resist Trump.

While the ACLU is working in the courts and people are out in the streets resisting, let's also build resilience in our communities. We need to create and build on the positive alternatives that are already initiated. In opting for the alternative, we actually not only resist but also reduce the challenges we face. Resistence and Resilience..