Home | About | Donate

The Gambit to Free Chelsea Manning

The Gambit to Free Chelsea Manning

Charles Davis

Chelsea Manning was an all-American patriot when she joined the U.S. military in 2007 at the height of the surge in Iraq.

But when she saw what her country was actually doing abroad — handing over thousands of Iraqi Sunnis to be tortured by state-sponsored Shiite death squads, for instance — she decided she couldn’t be a part of it. Nor could she just do nothing as injustices were committed in her and every American’s name.

Manning is simply a scapegoat for a completely incompetent security apparatus. She was desperate to get out of the army, clearly unsuited to that system, but her superiors refused and put her in a situation where she had access to a huge trove of information. The fact that a lowly PFC could so easily download all those cables has been completely ignored while the fools designing such a porous network have gone unpunished. I agree that her heart may have been in the right place but she didn't even know a fraction of what she had before sending it all on to wiki leaks. Some of it may have indeed caused harm, since a lot of embarrassing info was leaked which reportedly inspired many of the doomed "Arab Spring" uprisings. Of course, she should be released but the higher-ups who designed such a flimsy network, and gave so many people access to it, should be made to answer.

What will happen when ALL secrecy is gone?

Chelsea/Bradly did what she/he knew was wrong and now doesn't want to pay the price for her/his indiscretion. When anyone joins the military it is the equivalent of becoming a voluntary slave and organized crime wise guy.

The teachable moments here are:
Justice is indeed expen$ive and you only get the ju$tice for which you can pay.
and:
Your life is not your own, you do not have any "constitutional rights", instead you are subject to the oxymoronic uniform code of military justice.

After due deliberations Manning was sentenced to Ft. Leavenworth prison--now she/he must deal with it.

I've sent money before and I'll do it again, unlike two of the first three comments here that don't seem to appreciate what it means to have a conscience.

Sending money blindly to questionable support groups is not a noble act of conscience. It's fawning gullibility. Please utilize the links to fiscal reports in ¶2 of this page–>
couragetoresist.org/2010/09/chelsea-manning-defense-fund/
You will find that, far from owing $100,000 in legal bills, the Chelsea Manning Defense Fund by its own account owes only $20,332 as of March 2015. Moreover, aggregating reports for June 2010 thru December 2013, Total 2014, and March 2015 reveals that of $1,819,955 donated, only 26% has gone to legal fees. That's a shamefully low percentage for any nonprofit, and raises serious doubts about the integrity of the Chelsea Manning Defense Fund.

Since I didn't make it clear that my contribution wasn't to this particular organization but merely mentioned that I had sent money, perhaps I should have made it clearer that my money went to a different group?
You may be right about this particular organization but ...thanks. Someone else might want to see what other avenues are out there that might be better options. .