Home | About | Donate

The Game-Changing Promise of a Green New Deal

The Game-Changing Promise of a Green New Deal

Naomi Klein

Like so many others, I’ve been energized by the bold moral leadership coming from newly elected members of Congress like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley in the face of the spiraling climate crisis and the outrageous attacks on unarmed migrants at the border. It has me thinking about the crucial difference between leadership that acts and leadership that talks about acting.

I see this as another in the long chapter of battles between the centrists and left in the Democratic Party and the New Green Deal is setting up the centrists for another bashing. It seems to assume that the Democrats will take back the Senate by a good majority in 2020 and there will be a Democratic president elected. All this might fall into place but that is a long shot. Most likely the committee will waste precious time drawing up this legislation and it will never be law. Klein rehashes the failed Copenhagen climate meeting in 2009 and conveniently fails to mention that the US and China were on opposing sides and then conveniently fails to give credit to Obama for bringing the US and China together to create the Paris climate agreement. Kudos for Obama on that. Trump is pulling the US out of the agreement but at least it is still in place and offers some hope of global cooperation. Instead of banking on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and a few others to accomplish something on climate Klein should face reality and realize that whatever progress is made in the US it will be at the state and local level. It might not be as exciting as Democratic centrists versus progressives in Congress but that is where the action is taking place.

1 Like

I realize that Naomi Klein wants to keep hope alive, but damn, this GND roadmap is, as she admits, unlikely to get us to where we need to be. And really, based on the woefully inadequate response to the urgency of climate chaos so far, Klein’s hopes are downright silly.

Sadly, the time to do something about this came and went.

1 Like

We can still revolt.
It may very well be too late to avert our extinction, but we still have the choice between going down while fighting for what is right, or siding with evil by doing nothing.

3 Likes

Collective wisdom is an oxymoron, with greed being the saboteur. Oh how I wish Hayduke would yield his monkey wrench instead.

1 Like

I had this picture in mind of a flood. We are frantically filling and stacking sand bags to stop the river from overflowing while a hundred feet away the garden party rolls on with martinis flowing and the cigars glowing as the sun sets in the west.

This is what too late looks like, friend. Longish, but well worth the read:

2 Likes

HI SkepticTank: this is horrifying and I haven’t seen as many insects and butterflies and I cannot remember the last time I saw a tomato worm. They were my favorite part of summer when we saw the first little worms nibbling on a tomato leaf. At a certain point, when they got nice and fat, we would make a little glass jar house, and put in dirt and when the green worms were ready they would bury themselves into a cocoon in the dirt —and in a short time, the moths would appear!
This wonderful green worms had the red horned tail, and the eye shapes hat were all along their wonderful green bodies. The surprise was that the months were big and brown and had giant eyes on their wings. I haven’t seen tomato worms for a long time I hope I can find some next summer I loved this worms. : ).

2 Likes

Whether state, federal or local some real goals must be stated and met. It’s obvious the feds are screwing us as both parties are beholden to corporate monies. So get state and local govt to enact measure that will have an impact on your area. We’ve got to start somewhere, so how about the states? The green new deal may sound good and it’s a start but most likely not near enough to stave off the worst of coming temperature weather events. I’m watching to see if anything concrete is accomplished to matter. So far nothing has indicated that it will. Sad.

1 Like

It blows my mind that there are people more worried about whats for dinner than the very real possibility of a sixth extinction event. I often wake up in a cold sweat thinking about it.

4 Likes

Sounds optimistic.

The extinction event is well under way.

2 Likes

I am always happy to see Klein’s views, and I do like the catchy name, but does anyone know what’s to be involved, if anything, besides a committee? Does anyone know what is to be attempted?

1 Like

The easiest thing to do is to sit on the sidelines and ridicule. That way nothing will get done and you can say I told ya so. I so appreciate these young energetic advocates of a Green New Deal. Theirs is not the easy choice but the right one if we are to have any hope of achieving the task at hand. This is grassroots and it must go beyond local, State, and National. To effectively address the global issue of climate change our nation must first adopt a new deal and the greener the better. Stop paying attention to those in denial, the death wishers, and doomsdayers and get them out of the way as they only serve to block admission to the emergency room.

1 Like

Naomi Klein,
I’m not sure if your acceptance and passing on of the IPCC’s 12 year goal is not knowing, not believing, denying, or playing politics, but as scientists not hampered by the IPCC approval process have made clear, we do not have 12 years and it can’t be just a 45% reduction in GHGs.

We have to eliminate at least 90% of fossil fuels in the next 7-10 years while we massively sequester carbon worldwide through reforestation and transforming chemical, industrial agriculture to small-scale low-meat organic permaculture. We have to take whatever other steps are necessary to solve the larger ecological crisis. This is obviously going to take a massive restructuring of absolutely everything about global civilization, which will take a massive peaceful revolution, but it appears that’s starting in the UK, the US, Canada, and other countries, led by students and others. It’s about time.

Please help by telling the whole truth about the crisis, not the 3/4 truths of the IPCC and groups that accept that seemingly-serious brightsiding.

What Lies Beneath: The Understatement of Existential Climate Risk

Some of the other factors that make it more dire than most reports indicate: https://disqus.com/home/discussion/grist/climate_sciences_official_text_is_outdated_heres_what_its_missing/#comment-3825972993

(https://disqus.com/home/discussion/grist/climate_sciences_official_text_is_outdated_heres_what_its_missing/#comment-3825972993)

5 Likes

Here’s the organization that has inspired Ocasio-Cortez and all the other people and organizations with an emergency mobilization as their agenda. There’s plenty to read on the plan at these 2 sites:

Leading into emergency mode http://theclimatepsychologist.com/leading-the-public-into-emergency-mode-a-new-strategy-for-the-climate-movement/

The Victory Plan
10p Executive summary https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/fe55ec_d8d534e3c856410b8519944537bdbef1.pdf
100p https://www.theclimatemobilization.org/victory-plan

Emergency blueprint https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/fe55ec_79e69ca7863c4f0bacb598e21650b267.pdf

Key documents for Mobilization www.theclimatemobilization.org/key_documents

Step one: Get rid of Pelosi.

1 Like

Yes, I’m afraid so.

Revolt against what? The very jobs that people de4pend on for survival? In fact, we’ve been losing those since the '80s.

It’s the Dem voting base that was split apart. Today’s middle class are never going to get this issue.