Home | About | Donate

The Global Growth of U.S. Special Operations Forces

The Global Growth of U.S. Special Operations Forces

Nick Turse

Early last month, at a tiny military post near the tumbledown town of Jamaame in Somalia, small arms fire began to ring out as mortar shells crashed down. When the attack was over, one Somali soldier had been wounded -- and had that been the extent of the casualties, you undoubtedly would never have heard about it.

US Special Ops are trained to kill, without question, any living human beings they encounter, when given the order. They kill armed soldiers and unarmed civilians, men and women, elderly and young children. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/10/magazine/a-bulletproof-mind.html

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/30/574753397/u-s-raid-killed-yemeni-civilians-villagers-say

The military seems to look for, and train, sociopathy among Special Ops.:

But they are heroes who we must support. Besides, they’re “just doing their jobs” and “have families to support” blah, blah, blah…

The concept of the fetish has been polarized to be kept externalized (excluded from popular conversation about society) to sexuality and to primitivism as pejorative.

Militarism, the decades long channelling of hyper specific images, propaganda in civil life and highly technological conditioning as training, claims, demands and removal of personal responsibility to be replaced by unquestioned orders constitutes a bizarre relationship of the person/personality with reality.

Our minds are vessels and our lives take the shape of what is constituting the armature and capacity to express in language what our experience attempts to process mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

The mind cannot go where language has not yet laid open the way. This is a reality coveted by illegitimate powers that in turn have also made a fetish of the polarization of secrecy and ubiquitous surveillance.

A consequence of this construct is that the penultimate fetish is that of the “enemy” which becomes the very reason for existence of such institutions. A correlate being that internalization of such varied spectrums of secrecy results in the projection of a virtual structure mimicking the human body as a whole, which is of necessity truncated in the institutional practices, even using the terms of head, arm, etc, forbidden to violate, yet eroding human equilibrium by its practice. As such, this solipsism begins to vary in level and intensity, not unlike a heartbeat.

in a true presidency and congress, without the big gun money, they would be heroes. they are just doing their jobs yes and they have families to support. i am an adult military brat and i resent how because of the wrong being done in our gov’t our military is thought to be not heroes. blame the president, not the soldiers. all this fighting is over oil and control of it.

They are now all volunteers and have responsibility to figure out what they are doing. I understand that economics are tough for all of us, but that doesn’t mean we should sell ourselves as mercenaries and mafia thugs. Think about the children and families on the other end of the bombs, guns and drones. They had no choice to be there. They were just trying to live normal lives. I am sorry, but I refuse to make excuses for a voluntary military that commits mass murder and human and environmental degradation around the world.

i do think of the children on the other side of those bombs, which is why we should be blaming the president and not the soldiers.

Somebody flies the drones from air-conditioned bunkers thousands of miles away; somebody pulls the triggers; somebody pushes the computer buttons, somebody slits throats; somebody drops bombs; somebody “killed 'em all, and let god sort 'em out,” somebody destroys cities/villages/nations/families in order to “save them” or “protect our ‘freedom.’”

While violence in self-defense is always horrible and sometimes necessary, nothing that the U.S. imperial does has to do with defending the people of the U.S. They only destroy and “defend” on behalf of the oligarchs who control the U.S.'s (and much of the world’s) political economy.

Post-Vietnam, the U.S. military is all-volunteer. Nobody has to sign up. When you sign up for any military enterprise, you sign up to execute mass murder and terror. It’s a choice.