Home | About | Donate

The God of War

The God of War

Robert C. Koehler

There’s Mars, the god of war, perched in a parking garage in Dallas, annihilating the enemy with utter impunity. Mars, you sicko! Just listen to President Obama:

“By definition, if you shoot people who pose no threat to you — strangers — you have a troubled mind. What triggers that, what feeds it, what sets it off, I’ll leave that to psychologists and people who study these kinds of incidents.”

"There’s Mars, the god of war, perched in a parking garage in Dallas . . .

"The insanity begins at the top. The U.S. government is engaged in endless war. Our defense budget, in all its waste, hovers at the edge of a trillion dollars a year, surpassing virtually all domestic spending, yet is never, never, never discussed publicly by politicians, including presidential candidates."

I appreciate seeing MY favorite reference utilized by others. However, let's not so quickly presume that ALL hold homage to this god of war.

Chiefly, it's men who have been taught a construct of masculinity based on the RIGHT (in many instances, forced necessity) to use arms (or violent aggressive force) that identify with this archetype.

Due to the preponderance of symbols resonant with the War God in modern Patriarchal Capitalist "society," these days, some women feel enticed to join the Mars Ruled Ranks, too.

I find that tragic but not unexpected.

The I ching (hexagram 43) explains that EVIL can never be overcome through direct means since any battle with evil causes its opponent to take UP the same types of evil in an effort to "win" the battle.

The I ching offered a wisdom that was also echoed by Jesus Christ--that instead of directly fighting evil, the best strategy for alleviating it is turning the focus to OTHER--investments in what is GOOD.

Imagine if, instead of the countless trillions wasted on bringing so many Arab Lands to waste (and countless thousands of lives lost or left wounded) that $ was used to invest in the arts, peace gardens, diplomacy studies, dance, culture, and all that is beautiful.... the kind of planet this would be.

Venus (the planetary governor of the aforementioned) is the intended complement and counterpart (or antithesis) to Mars.

Look at the disproportionate investments made in things resonant with Mars as compared with all that comes under Venus' aegis?

The balance is off.

We see that in the way the natural world is being torn asunder, too.

That's why this is my chief message. And since I have an interest in preserving this world, I will continue to repeat it.

Here, Mr. Koehler shows that he "gets it":

"War accomplishes nothing except to ensure the conditions for further war and to maintain dominance of humanity’s collective mindset. War’s handmaiden is public relations: Our enemy is evil and killing him (or dying in the process of trying to kill him) is the essence of glory. Everyone longs for glory. All you have to do to get it is kill someone evil. This is the theme of our mass entertainment and our video games."

But here, Mr. Koehler, having introduced the Mars analogy, falls back into the same UNIFORM "We" posture. THAT is inaccurate and I will continue to point that out, too:

"In war we kill “strangers” who have not done us personal harm; they merely represent — by their uniform or simply by their presence in enemy territory — the large wrong we are attempting to eliminate."

I do applaud Mr. Koehler for showing an understanding of the hierarchy and Mars' influence upon it. He's mentioned the role of leadership--in its homage to the war god, and then gone on to explain the role of PR and mass media mind control programming.

Still, amid that great ocean of souls collectively circumscribed by the uniform WE frame, there are many who do not fall to bent knee before the image of likeness of Mars; neither do they support or see any utility in wars or any forms of armed oppression like that which have now become normative inside the locked down U.S.A.

Thank you for this essay, Mr. Koehler.

Do you know when you construct?
If you don't, how do you know when you dehumanize?
And when does a random dismissing of someone you believe you can dehumanize become abuse?

This is not taught at schools. Should military schools define such a threshold? Should the genders know how it reflects when they initiate certain behaviors against the other in a group?

And following from there, What empowers you in society?
How does that play into the social construct and thus into democracy?

But yeah. rah rah rah. Buy the weapons that kill.
When you are a diseased animal, humanity is threatening.

Mars. With a generous smattering of nuts inside.

Maybe one of the military guys (ex-vets, whatever) who post here so regularly can remind me of the EXACT verbiage taught to young soldiers--essentially, it personifies the weapon as their dick.

How about the way Arabs are turned into ragheads; and in Hitler's time, there were derogatory words used for Jews; and to too many U.S. racists, there's still that formidable N word used to identify Black citizens, and so on.

My point is that there is a history of language of the sort that dehumanizes IN place. And sometimes these words wed their way into culture through comedy, movies, and what is intentionally made to come off as "lighthearted" even though it reinforces dangerous and anything BUT lighthearted stereotypes.

Quite a bit is in place that is DESIGNED to dehumanize. That is the cognitive infrastructure that makes it possible for young soldiers to conceive of other young people as their enemies. It is the currency of war and why propaganda is as important as combat to any army or armed nation.

i'm not sure where--probably democracy now!--i heard that two men, one black, one white organized the dallas demonstration. at least one of them is a minister. so this morning i've attempted to learn about the organizers and came up with only one name, doctor or reverend, jeff hood. he's a white man identified by one source as a dallas baptist preacher while another source identified him as a methodist minister out of denton texas just north of dallas. either way his intent was to promote peace! well, you know what they say about the best intentions of mice or men, don't you? something went terribly, terribly wrong! the media has focused its attention the shocking deaths of five policemen as well as the equally shocking deaths of alton sterling and philando castile. unfortunately, the beautiful intent of jeff hood, whoever he may be, has become lost and trampled under the feet of media-imposed sensationalism.

i feel particularly saddened that so many peace-loving "black lives matter" members have felt it necessary to publicly divorce themselves from the action of lone gunman, james boulware. boulware's action are no more a reflection on the fine people of blm, than the actions of any cop who commits an act of excessive force reflect on officers who show self-restraint. ultimately each of us is responsible for our own actions. yes, robert koehler! your point that in the military mindset or obedience to the god mars, citizens have felt coerced to view these struggles under the false "good guys" vs "bad guys" paradigm. the convoluted logic that boulware used to define all white men in blue as "bad guys" is no different from the logic that condones u.s. soldiers marching around the world killing "bad guy" strangers on their own soil who do not wear the approved uniform. in fact in the face of "institutionalized racism" in which the system fails time and time again to hold a policeman responsible, i can understand that black citizens may suspect genocide. it has happened before, you know.

a couple of days ago we saw a chris hedges article here in which chris suggested that those with status wanting to maintain the status quo, will use these tragedies to support an increased militant response. here are the words of barack obama:

In Minneapolis, we don’t know yet what happened, but we do know that there was a gun in the car that apparently was licensed, but it caused, in some fashion, those tragic events. So, so, no, we can’t just ignore that and pretend that’s somehow political or the president is pushing his policy agenda. It is a contributing factor — not the sole factor, but a contributing factor to the broader tensions that arise between police and the communities where they serve. And so, we have to talk about that.

"we don't know yet what happened,"? yes, we do know! most of us have seen the live-streamed video. then obama adds the next independent clause, "but we do know that there was a gun in the car that apparently was licensed, but it caused, in some fashion, those tragic events." perfect "blame the victim" example if i ever heard one! well, in fact neither the panicked officer nor the unhappy victim of circumstances are to blame, but it is the gun itself which forced the officer to shoot. i'd prefer to live in a world where no soldier, no policeman nor any citizen carried a gun and in that i do my part by not owning a gun. however a gun is an inanimate object. the officer made the wrong choice and should face the consequences just like any other citizen!

Thank you Robert Koehler.

The US federal government has the military train soldier to dehumanize others to such an extent that drone operators refer to the young children they kill as "fun sized terrorists" (See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE9NV_wzzrQ term is discussed at 8:40), and Special Operations forces deem the murder of pregnant women as a "Appropriate use of force" (See: https://theintercept.com/2016/06/01/pentagon-special-ops-killing-of-pregnant-afghan-women-was-appropriate-use-of-force/).

The federal government, and much of the mainstream media, present soldiers who commit these crimes against humanity, against those they decree to be 'the enemy', as "heroes".

It is disingenuous and short sighted, to say the least, for the US government and mainstream media to express shock and outrage when people, who have been trained to commit horrendous crimes against humanity against people the government declares to be 'the enemy', carry out horrendous crimes against humanity against people that they come to view as 'the enemy'.

I understand your nuance exactly.
In my younger days, some of my views were media washed.

My knowledge played a small part in the way I have tried to treat others, and a situation.
Building for a commonality was a part of me before I read Heidegger.

When in someone's experience there is pain enough by feel dehumanized, how does it change the person?
The choice they can make, as many do, to inflict that same pain on others when the opportunity arises, or resolve to use the language of togetherness verbally, emotionally and personally?

Too often it is the former, and destruction, though necessary everyday, does not make a thriving community. What is destroyed must be recognized.

America, at war with the world to keep its jobs and economy humming.

Lots of drone pilots situated thousands of miles from the human targets they annihilate like so many blips on a computer game screen suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and it's also true that some prison guards, some police, and some of the personnel at off-shore prison camps (cum torture zones) also suffer the blow-back of conscience. Of course, natural-born sociopaths are devoid of a conscience and therefore rationalize their own acts.

You once specified that you studied astrology. Most astrologers recognize the law of karma through the chart blueprints which show the lessons a soul will be forced to face in any given lifetime... that not being a matter of mere caprice.

My point is that NO ONE, sociopath or otherwise, is immune from whatever damage their actions (and even thoughts) cause.

Both Mr. Feffer's article on the Gunman and Mr. Koehler's piece on the preponderance of Mars bring to mind so many of my HUNDREDS of comments on this subject; yet not one person showed up to mention that.

Tag team, indeed.

You might want to think about that quote.

Do you think the Hispanic laborer is "at war" with the world?

Do you think kids in schools are? Or college students trying to get their educations without turning into indentured servants?

How many women (apart from Christian Evangelicals) support war?

The frame of WAR and support for it remains a largely white male premise. And it is so unfair, devious, and dishonest to LUMP ALL citizens into that repugnant camp.

In other words, America isn't just white guys.

Read what Koehler and Feffer say today--the premise of this War Persona, Mars is about what White Men prefer and enact. It is NOT a construct that suits all persons and therefore should not be held up as one.

"Dehumanizing others is so easy when you’re armed."

and/or if you are a conservative...

I really wonder about that sometimes, though, SiouxRose.
The single lifetime is the time frame that we experience, and I am not sure that Karma is exacted in that span.

I know what you are saying about the planetary arts, I have seen charts that never have a phase for retribution. I am however, very aware of the current retrograde cycle of Mars, and what the 19th means.

I can only hope it manifests as it is supposed to on a global scale.

I am not sure if that is the nature of the subject matter that you were alluding to in your previous response. I am not sure many posters here have an understanding of the subject like you might.

Yes America is at war with the world and that includes Americans.

I think that nineteen50 is quite right. It is America at war with the world. Has been since the country began. There have only been two (or maybe, three) years that the United States has not been engaged in military action of some kind.

Forget the corporate takeover of America, the MIC has proved to be as fearsome as Ike warned us it would be.

"The Humans of War" are "Ehud Barack Obama", "Tony Blair Witch Project", Chelsea Clinton's parents, "The George Warmonger Bush" family, David Cameron, Gordon Brown & Francois Hollande.

One of them was "This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun" done as a call and response chant during forced marches. It is accurately depicted during the first half, the Basic Training half, of Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket."

We take our young to battle with lies - Gulf of Tonkin, weapons of mass destruction, etc. all for the greed (profiteers) of those behind the scene, the secret government. (Below) We teach them to kill and they return knowing they can use their weapons and knowledge if they feel justified and they do just as they did when they were bid by their masters.
Of course it starts at the top. Will the millions killed, displaced by our illegal, aggressive wars fight back in whatever way they know how? Yes. What we have exported has come back to us (shock and awe) already here will increase. This is just the beginning. The empire in coming to an end. It is just a matter of time. We could not be destroyed by outsiders, but are experts at doing it to ourselves.

10 PRESIDENTS & POLITICIANS WHO TOLD US THAT A “SECRET GOVERNMENT” CONTROLS THE WORLD & WHAT THEY SAID
ARJUN WALIA SEPTEMBER 15, 2015
THERE, ALSO, WAS A SUPREME COURT JUSTICE,A COUPLE OF US SENATORS, WHOSE NAMES I’VE MISPLACED
NO ONE WANTS TO TALK ABOUT THIS
"The Trilateral Commission is intended to be the vehicle for multinational consolidation of the commercial and banking interests by seizing control of the political government of the United States. The Trilateral Commission represents a skillful, coordinated effort to seize control and consolidate the four centers of power; political, monetary, intellectual and ecclesiastical. What the Trilateral Commission intends is to create a worldwide economic power superior to the political governments of the nationstates involved. As managers and creators of the system, they will rule the future." -- Barry Goldwater in his l964 book: With No Apologies

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of.” – Edward Bernays (“the father of public relations”), Propaganda, 1928 (note that Bernays’ book, Propaganda, begins with the above quote).

advertisement - learn more
If you told somebody 10 years ago that there existed some sort of secret group or “secret government” pulling the strings behind the scenes of government policy, international law, various global rules/regulations, and more, they would have called you a “conspiracy theorist.” Today things have changed, largely as a result of information leaked by Edward Snowden, Julian Assange, and various other whistleblowers and activists in recent years. Their bravery has shed light on the world of secrecy that’s been blinding the masses since its inception.

I’ve mentioned this before, and I’ll mention it again, did you know that the U.S. Government classifies more than 500 million pages of documents each year? Did you know that the United States has a history of government agencies existing in secret? For example, the National Security Agency (NSA) was founded in 1952, but its existence was hidden until the mid 1960’s. Even more secretive is the National Reconnaissance Office, it was founded in 1960 but remained completely secret for 30 years. Then we have the entire black budget world, a world dominated by secrecy that was officially revealed by Edward Snowden a couple of years ago. This deals with what are known as “Special Access Programs.”

It’s not just statements that these “high-level” people are making. It’s all of the proof and evidence that goes along with it.

You can read more about the black budget HERE

Canadian Defence Minister Paul Hellyer

Former Minister of National Defence, Paul Hellyer, is one of Canada’s best known and most controversial politicians. He was first elected in 1949, and was the youngest cabinet minister appointed to Louis S. St. Laurent’s government eight years later. He held senior posts in the governments of Lester B. Pearson and Pierre E. Trudeau. He achieved the rank of senior master (Deputy Prime Minister), and went on to become the Canadian Defence Minister. He is best known for the unification of the Canadian Armed Forces, and in September 2005 he became the first person of cabinet rank in the G8 group of countries to state unequivocally that “UFOs are as real as the airplanes flying overhead.”

Here’s what he had to say about the world of secrecy:

It is ironic that the U.S. would begin a devastating war, allegedly in search of weapons of mass destruction, when the most worrisome developments in this field are occurring in your own backyard. It is ironic that the U.S. should be fighting monstrously expensive wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, allegedly to bring democracy to those countries, when it itself can no longer claim to be called a democracy, when trillions, and I mean thousands of billions of dollars have been spent on projects about which both the Congress and the Commander in Chief have been kept deliberately in the dark. (source)

The 28th U.S. President Woodrow Wilson

Woodrow Wilson, an American academic, politician, and the 28th president of the United States, had this to say (among other things) in his book The New Freedom. The book also contains several other, similarly eye-opening statements:

Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men’s views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of somebody, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it. (source)

The 35th U.S. President John F. Kennedy

Here’s what JFK had to say in one of his most famous speeches:

The very word “secrecy” is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. … For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence–on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations. Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed. (source)

John C. Calhoun, 7th Vice President of The United States

John C. Calhoun was the 7th Vice President of the United States, from 1825-1832. He was also a political theorist during the first half of the 19th century.

Here’s what he had to say:

A power has risen up in the government greater than the people themselves, consisting of many, and various, and powerful interests, combined into one mass, and held together by the cohesive power of the vast surplus in the banks. (source)

This quote reminds me of a great clip from the Thrive documentary by Foster Gamble, heir to the Proctor Gamble corporation. He was groomed for the establishment, but chose a different path.

New York City Mayor John F. Hylan

John F. Hylan was Mayor of New York City from 1918-1925. He has been famously quoted as saying:

The real menace of our Republic is the invisible government, which like a giant octopus sprawls its slimy legs over our cities, states and nation … The little coterie of powerful international bankers virtually run the United States government for their own selfish purposes. They practically control both parties … [and] control the majority of the newspapers and magazines in this country. They use the columns of these papers to club into submission or drive out of office public officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government. It operates under cover of a self-created screen [and] seizes our executive officers, legislative bodies, schools, courts, newspapers and every agency created for the public protection. (source)(source)

Senator William Jenner

A United States senator who said this to Congress in 1954:

Today the path to total dictatorship in the U.S. can be laid by strictly legal means … We have a well-organized political-action group in this country, determined to destroy our Constitution and establish a one-party state … It operates secretly, silently, continuously to transform our Government … This ruthless power-seeking elite is a disease of our century… This group … is answerable neither to the President, the Congress, nor the courts. It is practically irremovable. (source)

Senator Daniel K. Inouye

Inouye was the highest ranking Asian-American politician in United States history, serving the democratic party from 1963 until his death in 2012.

There exists a shadowy government with its own Air Force, its own Navy, its own fundraising mechanism, and the ability to pursue its own ideas of the national interest, free from all checks and balances, and free from the law itself. (source)

34th U.S. President And 5 Star General, Dwight Eisenhower

In his farewell address to the nation, president Eisenhower offered these words of caution:

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. … Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defence with our peaceful message and goals. (source)

This speech is relevant to share here, because the disastrous rise of misplaced power within the military industrial complex has indeed occurred…

Benjamin Disraeli, First British MP

The world is governed by very different personages to what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes. (Coningsby, Book 4, Chap. 15.) – Page 131

26th U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt

President Roosevelt revealed this information:

Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. (source)

The list of quotes is very large and could fill a number of pages, so I will stop there.

Contrary to colonial indoctrination, War begins with destruction of earth's 'indigenous' (Latin 'self-generating') Polyculture Orchards. For millions of years all animals including humans cultivated 3-dimensional polyculture by consuming, planting seed & nourishing mostly perennial trees, bushes, herbs, vegetables, vines, mushrooms etc to create massively abundant harvests which are at least 100 times (10,000%) more productive than 2-D 'agriculture' (L 'ager' = 'field'). All humanity's worldwide indigenous ancestors lived in 100 person multihome dwelling complexes (Longhouse / apartment, Pueblo/townhouse & Kanata/village) where intergenerational female-male collaboration in proximity is easy. Time-based human resource accounting enabled an inclusive welcoming culture where all were welcomed in 'community' (L 'com' = 'together' + 'munus' = 'gift-or-service') & valued as assets for their 'gifts'. Researchers such as Petr Kropotkin estimate involved work in indigenous polyculture at just one hour per day or one day / week.
Contrary to colonial indoctrination against the sovereign peoples we genocided, native violence was very rare due to a whole set of empowering balances from the individual to continental & hemispheric levels of social organization. The cycle of violence begins with the scarcity of 'agriculture', producing institutional slavery / fear, hierarchy, loathing, conflict, security, violence & war.
In order to understand the complexity of human culture, its important for us to go beyond colonial indoctrinated worldview. Europeans fled as refugees from their war torn sub-continent as economic-ecological refugees typically from forms of genocide. We arrived to peoples who had the greatest population densities on earth at the time. However being transported on ships built & financed by multinational religious organized aristocratic oligarchs, subservient individual colonists were ordered to destroy 1st Nation food, architecture & cultural abundance as well as commit the same genocide we fled from. Instead of partaking, formally immigrating & respecting the fair, democratic & abundant 1st Nation culture, we imposed death & destruction upon all including ourselves. We continue to export violence towards people & biosphere in every 'exogenous' (L 'other-generated') act.

The gummint has gone through a lot of trouble to start profitable wars and terrorist blowback. Why would they want to do something like ending the bombing, droning and occupations to cool things down?

Having served as a medical corpsman in Vietnam, I saw the human face of war on the wounded grunts during my tour of duty. I don't know how many times walking back to the hooch after getting off the evening shift at the hospital, I told myself there but for the grace of God go I. Micah Johnson's act of mass violence was the eventual blowback of what war does to soldiers who are in the throes of a deep emotional crisis and come back mentally unbalanced. Yes, he did say during the siege that he wanted to kill as many white police officers as he could. But the issue of what war does to the human psyche was swept aside in the shocked aftermath of his act of revenge.But I view Micah Johnson through a different prism having seen up close and personal how spiritually damaged and filled with despair many of the wounded were on the war.I am surprised how few of them came to commit acts of violence as Johnson did.