Home | About | Donate

The Goldman Sachs Effect: How a Bank Conquered Washington

The Goldman Sachs Effect: How a Bank Conquered Washington

Nomi Prins

Irony isn’t a concept with which President Donald J. Trump is familiar. In his Inaugural Address, having nominated the wealthiest cabinet in American history, he proclaimed, “For too long, a small group in our nation's capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished -- but the people did not share in its wealth.” Under Trump, an even smaller group will flourish -- in particular, a cadre of former Goldman Sachs executives.

As bad as the highly visible actions Trump and the GOP are orchestrating since his inauguration are, they are not the issues he and the GOP really care about. They are using the highly visible actions to distract us from what the GOP does best: continue to loot the US Treasury to enrich the 1% at the expense of the 99%.

They are already enabling the selling of public land and other public assets and will soon be gutting Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and other "domestic programs" to fund more corporate welfare for Goldman and the rest of the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC).

Thanks for this informative article.
Deconstructing the aggressive and deceptive nature of politics and corporations is challenging. The status quo pretends that trading one bad actor for a slightly less bad actor is the solution to corrupted governance; this rhetoric only reinforces the anti democratic and deceptive foundations of this governance.
As the article says - don't be fooled by the bait and switch. Insist on the actual specific reforms required to renovate government. If the specific policies aren't there, don't believe the assurances from another smiling suit.
"Liar liar pants on fire" should be the new mantra.
"Promises comfort a fool" Robert Nesta Marley

Very informative article. Thank you. As far as the economy is concerned, I'm not so sure Hillary would have been any better than trump. Civil rights perhaps but not for the economy.

Hopefully, not before a Giant Meteor cleanses our society of these Evil Predators.

If there was a 3rd party that promised to strongly push to reverse the results of the looting and to have charged with theft anyone who participated in this anticipated looting of the country, they would have my support. If we cannot get politicians and bigshots for crimes against humanity, such as Iraq, possibly we will be able to get some of them for crimes against Americans.

Thanks for this excellent review of the Goldman Sachs effect from a former insider who has had extensive experience in the Wall Street world. This is the heart of the matter, not whether or not Trump is a racist homophobe. If facism is a blending of the corporations with the government, as the facist Mussolini defined it, then facism was alive and well in the U.S. long, long before Trump. I am thinking of all the military interventions, which nobody wants or is even made aware of by the useless media. These have left the country bankrupt in all ways, except for the bankers, bought off Congress, and the war industry. This is Mussolini's invasion of Albania times 1,000.

Yes, starting with allowing minimally regulated mortgage securitization four decades ago, serial bipartisan decriminalization (media and politicians call it deregulation) of New Deal financial industry reforms created the perfect stage for Trump and the Goldman Sucks cohort to take over.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Mnuchinland ...

Thank you, Nomi. You're the only one of the people that I used to listen to that hasn't jumped on the 'give Trump a chance' bandwagon. Gerald Celente, Paul Craig Roberts, Greg Hunter - they are all in Trump's corner. They all used to rail at the 'white shoe boys' of Billy Clinton, Dubya, and Obama. And yet, they don't rail against Trump's version of the same. Why? Who knows? I thought they were smarter than believing in the idea that just because they are new names, they won't get up to the same tricks. I don't listen to any of them anymore. And I'm sorry about that.

Thank you for your continued excellence.

Great article. There are too few articles at CD these days about the real power behind the throne. Trump's antics make great copy, but he is no more, and no less, of an existential threat to the great majority of people in the US and the world than Hillary or Obama. The Dems can put on a great show about the "horror" of Trump's actions with regard to the rights of those outside our borders, while there was barely a peep out of them when Obama dropped over 26,000 bombs in 2016, up from 23,000 in 2015, on mostly innocent civilians in a number of countries around the world.

Trump is not on our side, but neither was Hillary, or Obama for that matter. They represent different factions of those who would impose a fascist new world order run by giant corporations and plutocrats. The best we can hope for is that Trump, the Democrats, and the corporate MSM so thoroughly discredit one another that new narratives and new movements have the opportunity to take hold.

Thanks for the reminder that the Democrats are part of the problem, not the solution, and unless they shake their corporate money addiction post haste, they need to dissolve the Party since we already have one GOP, and we don't need two.

I would agree with you if you also included that the fog of Trump will also conceal the puppets in the Democratic Party and it's continuing efforts on behalf of the financial behemoths which control our MIIC (military industrial intelligence media complex) to control all of humanities' resources, and thus all life on Earth, to enrich itself. We are seeing now that the bananas are rotting on the banana republics' tree of life. We are fools numbering in the billions to continue to allow a few thousand to steal from us as they have killing and disrupting millions of our brothers and sisters and every other form of life in the process. The only intelligent answer is that of fear. Frozen in the headlights of fear we sit waiting for the inevitable.

Do you honestly think that Hillary Clinton, or Bill for that matter, gives a damn about civil rights? Think Serbia and Libya. Oh, you mean their civil rights and whatever trickles down to the rest of us who keep our heads down and don't interfere in their exploits? Sorry.

Correct. "First we take Manhatten, then we take Berlin!"

People like myself are not saying give Trump a chance. What I am saying is don't be blindsided by the fog of Trump phobia and forget what brought us to where we are today; starting with the corruption of Hillary Clinton and her DNC in stealing the Democratic primary from Bernie and his supporters and working back through history. Our government is no longer, if it ever was, one of the people..... Trump has yet to do anything; our past pemissiveness has everything to do with this place we are now. I supported Bernie; voted Stein.

No. Unless WE shake both political parties, their cronies and the corporate - elite shackles that wrap around our very lives, we are destined to continued slavery and the destruction of any self respect we continue to hold.

Do you honestly think hillary would be breaching civil rights like trump is doing right now? I'm no clinton fan and you should have picked that up from my post.

As this article makes very clear - with regard to the "Big Banks" the current admin is simply carrying on the policies of the previous ones, D and R and we need to continually remind ourselves of that - otherwise we are just setting ourselves up for another LOTE vote next time around - and the Dems will present themselves once again as that "protector" of the people to get our votes and then proceed, again, with BAU ...

There was/is but we didn't vote for 'em ...