Home | About | Donate

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on NAFTA 2.0

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on NAFTA 2.0

Sujata Dey

At midnight last night, Canada and the U.S. agreed on a new deal on NAFTA, one which would now be called the USMCA, the U.S. Mexico Canada Agreement, as if that was easier to pronounce. Use May Ca?

Here is the good, the bad, and the ugly within the agreement.

Good news first

No Chapter 11 between the U.S. and Canada

I found the article informational yet totally unhelpful. Should I hate it or like it? What does it do for the people…or does it at all? Will it create jobs or take them away? How will it effect the working class? Your article tells me none of that.

Thank you, Sujata, for your study and this preliminary analysis. The trade agreement is a mixed bag, and we’ll see how it plays out, but we are assured that with Trump’s blessing, it is "just another ‘corporate giveaway.’ "

" I am still searching for any reference to Indigenous consent in the agreement."
Your kidding right? Maybe they should take over running the world. Oh, I forgot, I was born here as well.

“Maybe they should take over running the world”. Sarcasm aside, compared to the white races, I would welcome the indigenous races running the world, and the world would be better for it.
So you know, I’m a white male.

What we have now is certainly a disaster!!

I would like more clarification on the ISDS part. Did Trump really get rid of it?

Thank you , Sukata. Whay I’m hearing is something I’ve felt might happen eventually. We are moving toward a united North America. Just as the North and South Koreans begin to accommodate each other, most recently were irreconcilable, one day North America will be one.
These rules will change a lot from time to time, but using the same rules will create an ability to work together. All the walls will come down, not just the one they like to talk about.

No it’s not - it’s the most sued country under NAFTA ISDS.

Under ISDS, it’s about the sixth most sued.

The data protection period has gone up to ten years. This has nothing to do with patents.

Where do you get your ISDS statistics? Reference please. Thanks.

http://investmentpolicyhub.unctad.org/ISDS

Great resource, thanks.

Between the US and Canada, yes. Between the US and Mexico, it has been watered down in some areas. As for Canada and Mexico, they are both signatories to the CPTPP, which has ISDS.

Note that neither the new NAFTA nor the new TPP (CPTPP) have been ratified yet, so nothing has actually changed.