Home | About | Donate

The Government Is Watching #BlackLivesMatter, And It’s Not Okay

The Government Is Watching #BlackLivesMatter, And It’s Not Okay

Nusrat Choudhury

According to documents recently obtained by The Intercept in response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, the government is surveilling the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

"The problem with this is obvious. Modern protest movements speak, associate, and organize through social media. Their tweets, blogs, protests, marches, and die-ins are the trumpets by which they call for reform and social justice. Government monitoring of activists’ protests – simply because these activists dissent and without any evidence of wrongdoing – threatens to discourage them from speaking, associating, and expressing as is their right under the First Amendment."

J. Edgar Hoover's ghost walks the halls of the FBI buildings at night; and I wouldn't be surprised if that paternalistic organization's authoritarian True Believers didn't conduct rituals of homage to this odious figure, enemy to Democracy... on a regular basis. To an extent, the casual murder of Black citizens taken into custody constitutes the equivalent of Blood Sacrifice to this monster and the organization he essentially designed to counter all forms of human progress and attempts to come up with alternatives to the (inverted) totalitarian state.

Dear Siouxrose,
Although I know that your personal awareness is extensive as well as most CD'ers, I highly recommend the interviews on the Real News with Thomas Drake. The one posted today addresses the issue of which this article speaks (closer to the end of the interview). The details of history are important to understand.
Peace
Po