Home | About | Donate

The Hillary Clinton Emails and the Honduras Coup

The Hillary Clinton Emails and the Honduras Coup

Alexander Main

Three batches of Hillary Clinton’s emails have now been released and, though many emails are heavily redacted, we’re starting to get a clearer picture of how Clinton handled major international developments during her tenure at the State Department. One of the first big issues to hit Clinton’s desk was the June 2009 coup d’Etat in Honduras that forced democratically-elected president Manuel Zelaya into exile. Officially the U.S.

Redacted. That is something that irks me more than any typo, bad grammar, lie, hyperbole, euphemism, or syntax error in the world!
When I buy a book that is full of redacted black lines, (apologies for the below, sexist metaphor) it is like a man paying good money to go into a strip joint only to see the women in t-shirts and granny panties. Sometimes, Americans want the Full Monty. They want it, they can handle it, and they don't want the censored version from our government, or military. Name the names or get out of the "game".
Eluding to Nick Turse's article, I would like to know how many SOF's were tooling around in Honduras before and during the coup?
I hope to buy the Wikileaks book. Its contributing writers are fearless and awesome, too.

A glimpse at what the military is doing there:
http://www.southcom.mil/newsroom/Pages/USS-George-Washington-(CVN-73)-Enters-4th-Fleet-Area-of-Operations-to-Conduct-Southern-Seas-2015.aspx

If you take a look at the web page Joint Task Force-Bravo Soto Cano Air Base (Honduras) you will see it it filled mostly with Public Affairs "humanitarian" and drug interdiction missions . They say the operations, mentioned in the link above, are to "increase stability." Yeah, and I wonder whose "stability" is the most favored here?

i can tell you from personal experience that the US contingency leadership had to have known AND approved of the plan. For the Honduran military to do otherwise would have been too risky given our proximity to being able to protect a president we actually gave a crap about. That's why I always knew we had a hand in it, but my vantage point was privileged.

One of the biggest reasons, I think, we supported the coup is because of the perceived importance of that real estate. It's the US's primary interdiction site south of Mexico and is heavily involved in a zillion war plans from keeping a lid on the Chiapas to southern drug trafficking as well as general compliance operations for governments under our heel.

This is one of the reasons I personally hate the massive base system we've created. It makes real democracy in the host countries even more difficult than it probably already is.

Wish I knew what that "vantage point" is. (I only had a hunch. I'm not psychic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: .) Have you a blog or postings at another site?
You piqued my curiosity. But then, you know what they say about curiosity and cats.

How Democratic is it to insist that what CIA & MIC (along with crony leaders) do in Latin America (or through 1000 bases set up on a global scale) is a fair, accurate representation of what U.S. citizens support?

YOU do Democracy a disservice by using the WE meme to deliberately conflate the nefarious Deep State acts with the supposed Will Of The People.

Operator to Control...we have a live one!

oh, sorry about that. I thought it was implied at least. No, I was in the military for a lot of years--intelligence--so I had a pretty good idea of how we viewed the relative worth of bases and how we often used those as sort of mobile command posts when interfering int he internal politics of other countries.

So is there a connection to all the child refugees coming to our boarder in 2014 and these policies? Our wonderful media had so little to say about the factors driving this refugee crisis-its gangs that just popped up out of nowhere?