Home | About | Donate

The House Intelligence Committee’s Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad Snowden Report

The House Intelligence Committee’s Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad Snowden Report

Barton Gellman

Late on Thursday afternoon the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence released a three-page executive summary (four, if we count the splendid cover photo) of its two-year inquiry into Edward Snowden’s National Security Agency (NSA) disclosures. On first reading, I described it as an “aggressively dishonest” piece of work.

Snowden released information that suggested that the US has become a totalitarian state. What is ironic is that calling for his head because he is a traitor only supports that suggestion.

NPR had a highly critical report on Russia's upcoming election the other day, or rather, it's campaign season. They reported that many citizens refuse to vote because they believe the outcome is fixed. They reported how candidates who go against major party ideas and policies are sidelined and not even given a chance to participate. I wonder if anyone at that corporation was aware that they could replace every instance of "the Kremlin" in their report with "Washington" and it would be just as true.

This may seem off-topic, but it shows that in every instance, the evil that the US condemns is the evil that the US is.

Snowden isn't buried yet, but the powers that be in the US have purchased his casket and the nails.
Hope he likes borscht.

The HIC has plenty to hide.

Children should always be brave and do something about bullying. It's not okay to stand by and let it happen. Bullies thrive off secrecy. Children should tell someone if they see someone being bullied. Imelda Staunton

This persistence as private firms continued because it ensured the maximum of anonymity and secrecy to persons of tremendous public power who dreaded public knowledge of their activities as an evil almost as great as inflation. Carroll Quigley

Our public officials have forgotten that they are ultimately accountable to the people who put them in office, that the information they keep in secrecy belongs to all of us. Yoko Ono

There is a massive apparatus within the United States government that with complete secrecy has been building this enormous structure that has only one goal, and that is to destroy privacy and anonymity, not just in the United States, but around the world. Glenn Greenwald

Given the pervasive secrecy of the Bush-Cheney administration, and the sorry consequences of that disposition, President Barack Obama's early emphasis on openness in government seems almost inevitable. Noah Feldman

Secret government programs that pry into people's private affairs are bound up with ideas about secrecy and privacy that arose during the process by which the mysterious became secular. Jill Lepore

Well, since the government is largely run by corrupt or criminal individuals, the fact that their nasty little secrets have been exposed and they reacted with typical outrage that someone caught them with their pants down is not news. Snowden is a hero. I hope he lives long and prospers.

May, 2012
The NDAA Legalizes The Use Of Propaganda On The US Public

Now, who do you believe?

"It is one more dispiriting commentary on the state of legislative oversight that the committee’s twenty-two members, Republican and Democratic, were unanimous in signing their names."

STRONGER lies TOGETHER

The House Intelligence Committee - the horror of a narrative saturated with insanity.

These guys selectively select who to prosecute. Why didn't they prosecute general David Patraeus he released all kinds of classified crap to his girlfriend and who knows what governments got into her home and copied all of it? Why didn't they prosecute that NSA head was it I think John Brennen I may have the name wrong but it was an head of one of our intelligence service's that went before congress and was flat out caught lying to congress. they didn't do anything to any of those two. The united States needs to prosecute everyone who leaks or prosecute no one. It's just like the disparity in prosecuting Caucasian's caught with Cocaine and giving years hard prison time. But when it comes to a Black, Hispanic or Asian person caught with crack and giving them 15 years hard prison time they're both cocaine. these corrupt guys in our government cover for each other just like one cop will cover for another. Another (example) why is it that Congress and their staff's are allowed to trade on insider government information. But heads of corporations are prosecuted for trading on insider information. Then you have the CIA the biggest drug traffickers in the world and it's well documented. But yet we have a war on drugs. It's horse dung I'll believe we have a war on drugs when they start arresting members of the congress on the floor of both houses of congress.One politician covers for another just like one president covers for another. Look at President Reagan he broke just about every law in the book yet all those below him who were caught were pardoned. Look at Nixon same thing for pardons him. Look at George W. Bush who got over a million killed all on a lye. Let's face it folks our government is just as corrupt as the Russian government. All you hear in on the news here in America is propaganda.

"The diagnosis that led to his discharge, on crutches, was bilateral tibial stress fractures."

AKA shin splints?

AKA fractures = broken bones to most of us non-medical folks.

Thanks Barton. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the WaPO editorial.

http://www.drdavidgeier.com/tibial-stress-fractures/

Most of us non-medical folks.

That being said, they are pretty painful when you exercise.

I rather think that the House and Intelligence does not go together very well. Just saying!

Snowden is an American hero. Period. That is why he must be vilified and destroyed.