Home | About | Donate

The House Republican Plan for Medicaid Would Put My Daughter’s Life At Risk

The House Republican Plan for Medicaid Would Put My Daughter’s Life At Risk

Marta Conner

My daughter, Caroline, is seven years old. She is funny and smart and obsessed with Disney princess movies and loves books about dinosaurs. Caroline also has Rett syndrome, a neurological disorder that interferes with her ability to control her body. She can’t talk, walk, or use her hands.

Medicaid is seen as a program that helps the poor, and we've been in a long anti-poor era. Medicaid provides treatment and prescription coverage for low-wage workers, the low-income elderly, and the disabled. (The poor have emergency rooms.) If Medicaid is ended, these are the people who will suffer, some of whom will die.

Years ago, Americans embraced the idea that people are entitled only to what they, personally, can afford.

Interestingly, it was the Clinton wing that took the first steps to "reform" Social Security the way they "reformed" our former welfare aid. (They targeted the disabled.) If you trace the legislative history of the Clinton wing, you would understand why they would similarly "reform" Obamacare out of existence.

The UN's UDHR lists food, shelter, and medical care as fundamental human rights, even for the jobless poor. We decided otherwise, and ended actual welfare aid some 20 years ago. In other words, we decided that basic food and shelter are not human rights, and that people are entitled only to what they, personally, can afford. Of course this includes health care.

For all the Carolines in this world, may compassion find a way into the hearts and minds of those who rule this land.

Monopolistic Control of all Media is what made this possible, as that was/is the only Narrative that the Owners would endlessly broadcast.

Anyone else live in a state that has rigged Medicaid expansion? Here in NH, they added a rule that said you have to have a job in order to qualify for Medicaid. Then you have to go through the process of sending in pay stubs every month and they threaten to kick you off if you don't. A friend of mine was kicked off because they said she made too much money, but the letter misreported her income by about $2000. In other words they fraudulently kicked her off by claiming she made more money than she did.

They also used Medicaid expansion as an excuse to greatly limit Community Care, a program whereby non-profit hospitals were required to offer a sliding-scale of discounts to poor patients. The state now requires people to be on Medicaid in order to receive discounts through Community Care, which means they have to be employed. Obviously there is a stigma of unemployed=deadbeat, even in a state where most of the economy is based on seasonal tourism and almost all of these jobs lay off their employees every year.

I would like to say something here. I agree that a good society helps those in need. However, I would like to say That II recently found out something that apparently takes place in Europe. I do not know exactly which countries ( possibly one is the Netherlands) or anything about the policy, but apparently they are more liberal when it comes to euthanasia. This is a choice apparently given to people who have terminal illnesses and also people who have suffered with decades of poverty , depression etc with no way out. In other words they have a choice with some dignity. Again, I only heard about this once a few years ago. In our country even when someone has been living with a terminal illness or decades of misery and no hope, people act "horrified."

And what happens if someone can't work, or is laid off or has aged out?

The whole idea of having a job is so you can support yourself and not live on the system. I always thought that Medicaid was for people who can't work or had been laid off? Time we had health CARE not insurance.

Social Security was originally intended as part of the three legged stool of retirement. I think I had heard that funds for disabled people come from a different source, but that it possibly is under that umbrella.

Okay, I believe ( and please correct me if I am wrong) that the disability trust fund is different from the regular retirement one. I wanted to also mention this. Recently, I heard a teacher say that she asked a MD why he thought there were so many more kids with autism. Some of the people with special needs can work and many others cannot work regular paying jobs especially today. The MD stated that since inclusion which really has been instituted more since the 1970s there have been more and more people with special needs ( especially intellectual) having kids. These adults and kids often require SSDI and Medicaid which expands the program even more. Recently I also heard that the bulk of people who are on SSDI and Medicaid are on because of some type of mental or intellectual disability. Quite a few on on due to depression. Of course I hope that this child and her family get the help they need whether it's through government, private agencies, or a combination of the two.

What happened before medicare /Medicaid/ssdi etc? There are people around today ( about age 100 if not more) who grew up with the family remedies, good diets, exercise, and home grown food/remedies and using the doctor =if necessary for emergencies. Interesting , isn't it? Of course there are pandemics ( such as the bird flu and many others) for which we always have to be on the lookout .

Please stop posting what you "believe" or "think you heard," especially when it results in proposing euthanasia or blaming your neighbors with developmental disabilities. Learn some facts, such as the difference between congenital and heritable. And there are no floods of offspring of parents who have developmental disabilities. Caroline Conner is not going to have children; is unlikely to live long enough. You claim to have compassion but demonstrate none at all.

@nephewsam, I think you must be misunderstanding. I have just (after 3 years of struggle) been adjudged disabled, as in UNable to work. I'm waiting for the Social Security Administration to calculate what that means specifically, but I expect it to include access to Medicaid. To make it dependent on working is just unthinkable. And obviously, a Caroline Conner cannot work. Her mother makes clear in the article that Medicaid coverage of skilled nursing care for Caroline allows her parents to work, but Caroline never will.

Can we get back around to Conservocare and how it threatens the Carolines of our naiton?

Nobody is blaming anybody. And I do believe that people who have differences or disabilities should have care. Of course- I have worked with people who have sped needs.! Also, people are allowed to state what they believe in general. Nobody is proposing euthanasia. Of course not. However, there is a difference when somebody would like the choice. In Oregon people who have a terminal illness can have euthanasia under certain conditions. In certain countries , people have more of a choice for themselves. I believe that you replied to a post in which I responded to someone else . I also happened to mention what a teacher was told by a MD . This is not a personal "attack" on anyone.

I wanted to furthur clarify that this was a MD stating this about sped needs. Who is blaming anyone or anyone's neighbor? This was a MD stating this to a science teacher who happened to ask the MD why there were more kids now that had autism? Again, this was a MD stating this, and I happened to write it. Perhaps this was someone's opinion, and others have asked the same question. This was also raised to that MD as to what would happen ( especially in regards to independence and work) to some SPed kids after they finished school.
As far as lumping that in with euthanasia I did not mean for that to happen. I am sorry that was misconstrued. What I was saying is that people ( I have now found out this is the Netherlands) in other countries have more choices , People in the Netherlands ( under certain conditions) can end it even if they suffer with poverty, long term depression etc.
I certainly hope that people with kids who have needs like Caroline's , their families and those who take care of elderly parents for instance can have more help- and should not have to stress furthur.

Either identify the MD in a way that anyone else can read for themselves, or don't breing it up; it's meaningless and just gets passed along as "I heard." Next thing you know, it's an early-morning djt tweet.

What is wrong with "personally can afford? In fact I was raised in an era ( until younger adulthood ) when credit cards did not exist- you know buy now and pay later for some people.) Also, I remember a time when there was no medicare and medicaid. What did people do before these programs? For decades people in the US assumed these programs would always be there, but the fact is they were not. Would it be nice if all people could have healthcare ( rather than insurance)? Of course. However, that costs money. Would it be nice if the hospital and other providers could volunteer care for Caroline since it is so involved and serious? Yes, it would.
There are doctors who do extraordinary work on a volunteer basis. I know an orthopedist personally who along with a team take turns going to Haiti and providing services for people.

This was someone at a place of work who asked a MD she knew. I do not know the MD. However, I will do that next time! ( won't bring it up). Have a nice weekend!

In earlier times, children like Caroline were institutionalized or just left to die. My husband has worked for decades in residential care for those with developmental disabilities, starting from just about the time when we came to our senses about the conditions in these warehouses and began shutting them down. He had one client at that time who it turned out had normal intelligence, but was deaf. In the group home (2 doors down from our apartment), her biggest problem was that when the frustration built to her breaking point, she would just scream, bloodcurdlingly. In her better moments, she gave our kids the childish picture books that her still-clueless relatives would send to her.

I also myself observed NJ warehouses, in about 1972-3, with my Social Psych class from college, where no matter whether the issue was allowing developmentally disabled women to learn what colors of embroidery floss were appropriate for the sun or the grass, or allowing those with devastating mental illnesses to have choices between vegetables at meals ("Not on 50 cents per patient per day!"), or allowing prisoners to learn to make better choices of how to react when someone crosses them, society felt it was stuck with these people, and if we had no choices, neither should they have them. We couldn't afford it.

Thank God we came to our senses (somewhat) and parents like the Conners don't have to feel any more that their disabled children — or siblings, or parents, or neighbors — are a burden that they face alone. Thank God we developed safety nets. May we preserve them.

Thank you to your and your husband's service. I remember doing a practicum at a state residential "school" or warehouse way before they started to close them. There were those that had deplorable conditions. That one did. ( Excuse the word- it's become so overused these days). I hope also that we can continue with safety nets in the right manner. Many years ago, I met a middle aged man who today would probably have been given much more of a chance. Instead he and his brother had been institutionalized when they were babies. This was out West, . I think he had initially been institutionalized in the early forties.Mind you, he was definitely child like, but also a nice person. I worked with him on some basic reading - ( He ended up being released into a group home situation). Of course some of his lack of knowledge and judgement were also due to lack of experience.

I have met ( in the last few years) some people who worked at a local state facility in another state. The facility closed, and they really missed some of the patients. They said this particular facility was kept clean, and they thought of the residents as family. The staff also were out of jobs. The people I met said that at least some of the former residents had been transferred to group homes. In 1980( I remember hearing about this on the news) a young woman who had been released from the institution had been transferred to an apartment without hardly any supervision. She ended up starting a fire by accident and injured herself and others quite badly. Many people still remember this, and get quite concerned about the proper safety nets and precautions being put into place. Some adults end up being homeless and get lost in the system. Some are quite mentally ill or have intellectual issues. Some have escaped from group homes when they are not as secure. It sure must be an unending challenge, and not an easy one at that. May we have safety nets that are good for shelter food and health care as well.