Home | About | Donate

The House Sinatra Lived In

The House Sinatra Lived In

Michael Winship

As concerts and other celebrations mark the 100th anniversary of Frank Sinatra’s birth on December 12, I have two potent memories: one personal, the other from a time at the end of World War II when he embraced the all-American principles of equality and tolerance — religious and racial — even in the face of bigotry and bullying.

I wrote for Sinatra once. Although as I’ve become fond of saying, you didn’t so much write for Sinatra as at him.

Michael Winship forgot to note that "The House I Live In" was written by two writers who were blacklisted during the notorious Red Scare & Mccarthy communist witchhunting days: Earl Robinson and Albert Maltz. Those words "What is America to me . . ." have meaning and historic importance today, in part because of the disgraceful treatment great American artists and others suffer at the hands of arrogant, hubristic politicians.
Doug Giebel
Big Sandy, Montana

Yes, as Winship said: "... had a lot of fights, hung out with the wrong types – not just mobsters but also politicians or do I repeat myself?" The two of you have created the perfect description of our elected terrorists! Thank you!

What wolfess said.

Thanks for the walk down musical memory lane, Mr. Winship. Music truly is a language that transcends nationality and ethnicity. Imagine if the world was taught to sing and play musical instruments with the kind of funding that for too long has been reserved for weaponry!

Rhapsody on, Frankie!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Coincidentally, I woke up this morning with his "That's life" tune playing in my head.

Speaking of the McCarthy witchunts, don't miss "Trumbo" if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Thank you!!! :relaxed:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.