Home | About | Donate

The Huge GOP Lie About the Deficit

The Huge GOP Lie About the Deficit

Robert Reich

When asked about America’s soaring debt and deficits, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell lamented “It’s disappointing, but it’s not a Republican problem,” and he blames Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Rubbish. It’s not social spending that’s causing the federal deficit to soar. It’s Republican tax cuts, especially on corporations and the wealthy.

Look at the evidence. Of all 35 advanced economies, America’s spending on social programs like Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid is among the lowest, as you can see.

The first article of the many from Reich that I can remember that does not seek to insert a line about “Russians hacking US elections” which ironically , is part of the rationale used for all of that Military spending.

If the media focused on the real issues rather than continously promote hysteria against yet another Country they might be able to gain some traction on things like the low levels of Social spending.If the people who were at least partly resonsible for things like NAFTA , welfare reform , the privatization of Government services , the repeal of regulations on banks and the like , (all of which happened under Clinton a Democrat) would admit those were failed policy intitiatives and the role of the Democrats (see the courageous Nancy Pelosi and her pay-go stuff) not far divorced from that of the Republicans , they might be taken more seriously.

The taxpayers bailed out the S & L’s in the 80’s under st Ronnie, bailed out the banks & Wall st under Bush jr (plus the two extremely costly wars under that ass hole) and they blame Obama for the huge deficit we have now. I don’t like Obama bailing out the banks & Wall st, but the major reasons that we are in the financial mess we are now in is because of the Bush wars, the Reagan bailout of the S&L’s and bailing out the banks because of Bush’s handling of the economy. Sure Clinton had a big hand in the causes too (the repeal of Glass/Steagal) but the Republicans financial messes and tax cuts have bought us to where we are now.

"Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid" is the Sunshine.

Republicans and their theft through Tax Swindling is the Darkness.

Go towards the light…

I recall Obama’s Grand Bargain.

Another issue whether there isn’t a dime’s worth of difference between brand D and brand R.

A couple of realities. We are not all going to be rich some day.That’s the hard sell of promoted capitalism. And secondly, as long as we operate under the umbrella of capitalism, one of our great deficits will be a burgeoning lower caste of Americans.

Is Reich correct in saying that the republican tax cut will cost us $1.9 trillion over 10 years? The CBO says that we will have a cumulative deficit of $11.7 trillion over 10 years. I had thought that the republican tax cut was costing us more than $190 billion/year. OK, I see the CBO says the tax cut will cost us $2.24 trillion over a decade.

But it does not have to be that way. If people don’t fight for something better, nothing will change, and even if we did come up with a pie-in-the-sky wonderful economy, it would eventually revert to something worse if people don’t pay attention.

“Five year plans and new deals
wrapped in golden chains
And I wonder, still I wonder
Who’ll stop the Rain” or is it reign?

Republicans like McConnell are simply put, disgusting. Just because they can chop wood and sell it for more than it’s worth, they think we should all be that way. Pay your own way.
Ever try chopping wood with no legs? How about with cerebral palsy? How about the hundreds of other maladies?
Fuck you self centered selfish pigs that have no compassion for the downtrodden who have no boot straps. But you do have a need for an extra yacht, or Mercedes. Happy tax cuts asshats.

I am a hell of a lot more afraid of the current trends of the Republican Party than I am with Russia. The right’s inability to move away from combustion generated energy because of the luxury of huge campaign contributions is the most dangerous, and by extension our species, has ever faced. The worst the Russians can do to us is to try to overrun a nation that is firmly united against foreign domination.

Well put G.

Keep the old tunes coming.
Good night. Time for Colbert.

The Republican Party is a Suicide Cult.
Based on Racism, Fear, Greed, Ignorance.

I caught JT 3 time back in the day. Twice opening for Led Zeppelin (for $5 !)

Always true with the Corporate Whore ‘centrists’.

With them it’s always Kabuki

Deficits? How come no one talks about the corporation – the PRIVATE corporation – known as The (mis-named to fool the sheeple) Federal Reserve System? Why in the hell should our money system be controlled by PRIVATE bankers? And since our money is all just phony paper money, so is the deficit phony. However, this wicked system/scheme/scam is great for robbing the sheeple of their wealth and they never the wiser. Plus the wonderful benefit of never ending wars for needy billionaire war machine corporations. Our whole damn government is one humongous corporation, an out of control, blood thirsty, war mongering corporation! Have we been bought off by social security and food stamps to not oppose the war machine too much? So, what is the best way to wrest the government away from the corporations and back to the people - that is the real question? Talking about deficits is like talking about how to oil the front gate while your house is burning down. Gopherit

Here you go mate:)