Home | About | Donate

The Iraq Death Toll 15 Years After the US Invasion

The Iraq Death Toll 15 Years After the US Invasion

Medea Benjamin, Nicolas J S Davies

March 19 marks 15 years since the U.S.-U.K invasion of Iraq in 2003, and the American people have no idea of the enormity of the calamity the invasion unleashed. The US military has refused to keep a tally of Iraqi deaths. General Tommy Franks, the man in charge of the initial invasion, bluntly told reporters, “We don’t do body counts.” One survey found that most Americans thought Iraqi deaths were in the tens of thousands.

No sane political party could ever place a person, who voted to authorize the use of force in Iraq, at the top of their presidential ticket. Right?

Thanks to Benjamin and Davies for this, as hard as it is to read.

We should also remember the hundreds of thousands of deaths during the Bush/Clinton years of Aug 1990-May 2003 that mostly preceded the 2003 bombings and occupation that continues to this day - with a puppet government, mercenaries and U.S./U.K. special forces.

Those sanctions were OK’d by the U.N. Security Council. That’s how deep this ongoing slaughter goes.

Since WW2 the number of Civilian Casualties in war has always been around the 80 percent mark. This in spite of so called “precision weapons”. When a nation goes to war it’s public has to be aware of this. If a Countries population supports said war then they ARE supporting the mass slaughter of Civilians.

In conjunction with that number it part of the Historical record that a Countries Government WILL lie in order to launch a war against another Country. I challenge any American Citizen as example to give an example of a war the USA has involved itself in wherein the information given to the people as to the need for such was not fabricated or manipulated by those promoting the “need for war”.

When taking these two facts together it becomes all but impossible for any rational human with some amount of compassion to support a war. The default position must ALWAYS be “Civilians will die in great numbers and the information you provide me as to the need for war is likely fabricated” and thus “I am opposed to this war and any war”.

If a person supports said wars then they have no issues with the slaughter of innocents and have no issues with doing such premised on lies . Such a person is simply one who supports war because “I want their stuff” (greed) , or “They do not have the same color skin or same religion I do” (racism, bigotry)

The lesson of Vietnam, learned or not, was that for every civilian killed, 10 enemy fighters are created.
The bumper sticker “What assault rifle would Jesus use?” is prominently displayed on racist rear ends.

Caitlin Johnstone was planning to retweet this every day for a month to spread awareness, but Twitter suspended her account for responding to name calling with name calling on another topic.

Thank You!!!

Another bumper sticker (still used) was: “Kill Them All and Let God Sort Them Out!” Lottsa ‘warriors’ and ‘heroes’ wear that tattoo.

Madeline Albright stated the 500,000 Iraqi children who died under the Clinton sanctions regime were “worth it:”

How in heaven, do the people of the United States of America continue to support and vote for the two parties of the Duopoly that authorized this mass murder blood bath?

This was my personal moment of truth, when just enough Democrats joined with the Republicans to declare war, using manufactured evidence, and create total instability in this region.

How many more innocent men, women, and children must be murdered by our Military, before the majority of American voters understand that “They” are complicit in this Duopolys, Dirty Deeds?

Indeed. The West’s response to two of Iraq’s invasions of its neighbors, Iran and Kuwait, was markedly different. In 1990, when Iraq invaded Kuwait, the condemnation was immediate, as was the reaction, which was to amass coalition troops in Saudi Arabia to re-take Kuwait as Bush I and Baker went around with their “begging bowl” (as Eqbal Ahmed termed it at the time) to pay for it. But when Iraq invaded Iran almost exactly a decade earlier, the West not only didn’t condemn the invasion, it began supporting Iraq.

In both cases, Iraq was the aggressor, committing crimes against humanity, and Iraq’s invasion of Iran was markedly more egregious, resulting in an eight-year bloodbath, spurred by Iraq’s unprovoked land grab, that resulted in about one million deaths and Iraq’s use of chemical weapons against Iranians that was so bad that Reagan had to dispatch Donald Rumsfeld to Baghdad in 1983 to give Saddam PR lessons on how to mitigate the international condemnation. (I wonder why Rumsfeld wasn’t dispatched to Bhopal two years later to counsel Union Carbide, but I digress.)

Ironically, and though I hesitate to put it this way, Iraq had more “justification” to invade Kuwait in that Kuwait had been slant-drilling into Iraq’s side of their shared Rumailah oil field, then lobbying OPEC to keep oil prices low, thus depleting Iraq’s revenue stream it needed to pay for the Iran-Iraq war, as all those loans the other Gulf States including Kuwait made to Iraq were coming due. Yet this was greeted in the West as the second invasion of Poland (recall how the newsmagazines “Hitlerized” Saddam’s mustache), and the “Allies” had to mobilize.

So, how culpable was the US in the deaths of Iraqis and Iranians in the 1980-88 period? Other Western powers were supplying the actual weapons, but the US contributed intelligence and dual-use technology (and Rumsfeld), all while Iraq was ostensibly still a Soviet client. But the West was quite content to simply watch two regional powers decimate each other in yet another grim spectacle of realpolitik. The slaughter keeps getting deeper the further back you go.

I can’t add a like to this, but it is a point worth is worth repeating and saying on Albright’s grave. And it is a consensus position among the ‘cost/benefir’ U.S. elite.

WAR IS A RACKET

Two footnotes:

1. We should never forget Bush’s ambassador April Glaspie;

2. Saddam Hussein was a CIA asset before he was a U.S. ‘enemy,’ ala Noreiga and how many others.

Thanks for this comprehensive historical reminder.

Hey i grew up during the Vietnam war the democrats have always sucked after John F Kennedy. LBJ added 500,000 troops into vietnam all on a lie the gulf of tonkin.

2.4 million Iraqi deaths! That’s about one tenth of their population.

George W. Bush. Do. People. Remember. Him? He’s living comfortably through old age on his ranch in Texas. Absolute ZERO accountability. Wow.

There is a special place in hell for people like you. Thinking it wasn’t enough, you has to post it in the comments. That takes an exceptional level of stupid. Remember it is better to be thought a fool, then to post a comment and remove all doubt.

Your premise is based on the assumption that the person is educated and understands these dynamics. For the simple minded that believe the lies, they are fighting the great evil different people and protecting their families and friends from their ravaging hordes…To them it is merely being patriotic. Thus is the banality of evil…