Home | About | Donate

The Janus Decision Is Wrong, But Teachers Know How to Organize Around It

The Janus Decision Is Wrong, But Teachers Know How to Organize Around It

Peter Greene

The U.S. Supreme Court has just announced its ruling on Janus v American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)—not that we were exactly waiting with bated breath. All the smart money was always on a ruling against the union.

CA teacher here and a proud union dues-paying member. I have been saddened to see this decision come about, but Democrats have helped weaken unions for a long time. I am a seventh-year teacher who was just fired from my school site because I had two students opt out of the state SBAC test (didn’t even know this had happened until after the test was done) and was dismissed at the end of the year, with little chance of finding another job for next year, even with a good eval, and in the principals own words, I even gave her the best yearbook she’d ever seen.

I had two union reps and a lawyer tell me that if I had tenure, that principal would have been staring down a Stage Three Grievance, but since I had no tenure, I just had to accept that I got screwed and should just watch my back a little more next time.

Go 'Murca.