Home | About | Donate

The Leakers Who Exposed Gen. Flynn’s Lie Committed Serious — and Wholly Justified — Felonies

The Leakers Who Exposed Gen. Flynn’s Lie Committed Serious — and Wholly Justified — Felonies

Glenn Greenwald

President Trump's national security adviser, Gen. Michael Flynn, was forced to resign on Monday night as a result of getting caught lying about whether he discussed sanctions in a December telephone call with a Russian diplomat. The only reason the public learned about Flynn’s lie is because someone inside the U.S. government violated the criminal law by leaking the contents of Flynn’s intercepted communications.

"Wholly justified felonies." Glenn Greenwald.

I agree, but the same could be said for Snowden and Manning, but Snowden had to seek asylum in Russia and Chelsea was put through pure hell and jailed. Why the double standard?

I don't get the "double standard" question. If the leaker(s) are discovered, they may well be prosecuted. I thank them for their courage.

In response to lindorf and Mountain, our best hope is to elect the best people we can in order to have relatively decent people appointed to power in the intelligence community.

The master prevaricator knew the whole time and left his VP out of the loop and out to dry, which irritated P the pious to no end. What a pile of offal is building in the oval office and everyone is trying not to step in it, the egocentric son-in-law circling the closest....

Yes, we have a fecal matter here!

This truth-telling for the "good of the country" hasn';t done a lot of good for Snowden or all the others Obama persecuted, had prosecuted, and ruined. Sorry. They all need to step forward and pay the piper. Failing that, they need to be found--names named. If this were Obama, he would be under pressure to resign, threatened to be strung up, and impeachment under way. Since none of that is about to occur, all those ruined should file lawsuits to have their names cleared and receive compensation--millions, for all the stress and personal/professional damage done to their careers and name. Seems more than fair.

This is a sorry decade for all of us. Actually, decades going back to Reagan.

Rules and laws are needed. I am no anarchist. I am grateful that some are so courageous that they are willing to suffer consequences. If enough strong, decent, and courageous people work for us as public servants, then there is always hope for the future.

As much as I despise Trump, I believe there is something even bigger going on. The Deep State (Pentagon, CIA, NSA) , backed by the transnational corporations and the military-industrial complex, are disturbed by some of Trump's policies, and they want to get rid of him. Part of the Republican Party (John McCain, Lindsey Graham) and part of the Democratic Party are involved in the cabal. Trump wants friendly relations with Russia, while the Deep State wants a new Cold War. (The military-industrial complex gets richer with a Cold War.) Also Trump's plan to boost U.S. jobs with a tariff on imported products angers the corporations who exported millions of manufacturing jobs to low-wage countries, and who now profit from imports with no tariffs. For these reasons, the Deep State (with its puppets in both political parties) want to attack Trump. Let me say that I am a Progressive who supports the U.S. working class and who wants to avoid nuclear war . So I view these attacks on Trump to be foolish and dangerous.

The other leakers remain anonymous, but Manning and Snowden put faces to their disclosures.

Loving the leaker

Unless the urine is on your shoes

Fecalgate?

Please remind everyone about certain other parties who di what they had to for the betterment of all Americans. Edward Snow, Chelsea Manning and a foreigner Julian Assange plus countless others!

As a culture raised on the simple verities of cowboy movies, we are taught to expect -- indeed insist -- that every drama be resolved into a conflict between Good Guys and Bad Guys. We grow agitated and confused when this paradigm fails us. So the fact that some significant benefit may have resulted from national security leaks targeting Flynn's perfidy leads us to want to place the leakers into the Good Guy category. The inevitable recognition that these leakers are clearly serious criminals becomes a disturbing experience that undermines this facile classification.

There are two possible responses. Greenwald outlines one of them, which is the understanding that laws are social artifacts created by the powerful for their own selective purposes. This allows us to distinguish between just and unjust laws. Violating unjust laws is a dispensation allowed to Good Guys without having to jeopardize their preferred status.

A second response is to recognize that all the main players in a particular game are in fact Bad Guys. In this scenario the focus shifts away from the relative fates of the particular competitors. The greater attention is now paid to the outcome of the game as a separate entity. In a competition among Bad Guys the best result may be the collapse or destruction of the game itself.

This is perhaps the best way to view the drama among Trump, Flynn and the national security establishment. The best outcome may be an extended and debilitating conflict that undermines the continued viability of the system itself. The value of the leakers lies in the fact that their actions increase the level of competition among the Bad Guys, thus weakening the internal cohesion of the national security state.

"The mere fact that an act is illegal does not mean it is unjust or even deserving of punishment. "

And the mere fact that an act is legal does not mean it is just or even not deserving to be stopped with all necessary peaceful effort.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat, 1848

I don't get what the big deal is. I don't mean about the leaks, which big :sleeping:. I mean the discussions themselves. Why shouldn't Russian diplomats talk with someone close to the incoming president about issues important to them? If a new president was elected in Russia would we be upset if some American diplomat talked things over with a soon-to-be high ranking Russian official?

'The Truth Will Set You Free.'

Trump doesn't believe in Truth. Trump believes in Money and Power. Trumps power is limited by the Constitution and the Judicial system.

As Americans, opposition to anything but the Truth, is our responsibility. Fight, Oppose, and Resist!

We had that chance with Bernie Sanders, or Jill Stein for that matter, and you are surely Well Aware Of What happened. You can go back for several elections and see what happens when we "don't look back and only move forward" (ala Obama's statement and action). We are well past the ability of having "free" or fair elections in this country, or most others in the world. Rigged elections and assassainations are the established norm. Accept it or change it.

Johnson. Actually, I believe it started with the assassaination of JFK, and other public figures, which was never prosecuted successfully so far as the public good or justice being served is concerned. We have been sliding downhill at an ever faster rate ever since.

what's wrong with favoring an anarchy or a self-governing system with no established authority figures? Glenn Greenwald writes: (my bold)

and the public has the absolute right to know this.

This episode underscores a critical point: The mere fact that an act is illegal does not mean it is unjust or even deserving of punishment. Oftentimes, the most just acts are precisely the ones that the law prohibits.

thom jefferson exclaimed that "the true currency of democracy is knowledge!" we citizens are expected to step into a voting booth to elect our "authority figures" based on carefully constructed sales pitches with no real grasp of what goes on behind closed doors. and this is what democracy looks like? no! we the people are left in the dark when it comes to policy decisions. in so many ways we are expected to make "informed decisions" without full disclosure of the information. those non-living entities created on paper for the dual purpose of maximising profits and protecting upper management from litigation should something go terribly wrong--like a massive oil spill--have the ear of congress. why these self-serving monopolies even provide a legion of lobbyists to help write the laws which affect all of us. i believe if we the people had access to the knowledge jealously guarded by the deep state and the political class we would choose to work together for a peace oriented, cooperative world community with healthcare for all and a sustainable ecology providing nourishing food and clean drinking water. why should we agree to remain ignorant when our lives are at risk by those who protect the status quo because this corrupted system gives them statis?