Home | About | Donate

The Legacy of Investigative Journalist Robert Parry (1949-2018)

The Legacy of Investigative Journalist Robert Parry (1949-2018)

Nat Parry

It is with a heavy heart that we inform Consortiumnews readers that Editor Robert Parry has passed away. As regular readers know, Robert (or Bob, as he was known to friends and family) suffered a stroke in December, which – despite his own speculation that it may have been brought on by the stress of covering Washington politics – was the result of undiagnosed pancreatic cancer that he had been unknowingly living with for the past 4-5 years.

Oh cripes, this is awful news. Bob Parry was one of the good guys and one of the last few truly indy journalists with mainstream credibility left.

He’s never played favorites either with power or with teams. I’ve not always agreed with his take, but I’ve never questioned his character, integrity, or ability. He was first rate.

RIP. This one hurts.

This is terrible news- Robert Parry is one of A dying breed of the great investigative journalists of the 20th/21st Centuries, right up there with Chris Hedges, Seymour Hersh, and John Pilger-
When reading articles of major import, but controversial in nature, I often found myself checking the facts with Parry’s work- Never in fear of seeking or telling the truth, his investigative journalism was unquestionable and stellar-
Rest in peace Robert, this world will not be the same without you in it…

A big loss.

Journalism lost a great one with the passing of Robert Parry. In recent years, he along with a few other brave souls, has covered the Russia-gate fraud with impeccable research and logic. He called out the grand poobahs at the New York Times and the Washington Post each time they printed propaganda for the security state. Again, his is a great great loss to this once democratic republic.

RIP.

Beautiful tribute by Nat Perry in delivering this truly terrible, gut-wrenching news. There are not many of Robert Parry’s calibre left out there, and they’re getting old: John Pilger, Seymour Hersh, Noam Chomsky. And the few young ones who dare are either murdered (Michael Hastings) or corralled into a more reasonable mealymouthedness (Jeremy Scahill).

I truly wonder what kind of desert we’ll be living in ten years hence.

I tend to part with many of the “last” posters here. He is not the last of anything, he is a FIRST.

Bob Parry is a prime example whose legacy will nurture any young journalist of independent heart and mind who is presented with the full story, as provided by his son, Nat.

Bob Parry, like the homonym verb of his surname, presents one of the ironic beauties of working at the peak of professionalism and constant honing of skills: His WORK and contributions LIVE and are the type of rich, nurturing cultivars all of us benefit from.

Bob Parry… PRESENTE!

To the Parry family: Thank you for sharing your lives so much for our benefit. May it multiply exponentially.

There are legions of us, here in the US and around the world, who mourn with Bob’s family our collective loss. His work stands as proof that we’re not all latter-day “good Germans” marching in lockstep toward a globalized Fourth Reich.

This is a great loss for everyone who knew Bob personally & for the world. Pretty much every so-called liberal & progressive I personally know is eagerly drinking the Russia-gate Kool-Aide, despite it being served by the same bartenders who previously bamboozled them into supporting the contras & being scared of Saddam’s WMD’s. Every liberal I personally know has learned NOTHING in the past 35 years, despite the efforts of Bob & the rest. We’re doomed.

Robert Parry was not “ideologically correct” rather, he pursued the facts where ever they led. and took whatever consequences came from reporting them. That devotion to fact and its honest reporting was what set him apart from so many wannabe colleges. May his loved ones find comfort in a life well lived and devoted to exposing the truth.

Well stated.

Frustrated with the limits and compromises of corporate media—he was once told that a story on Contra financial skullduggery had to be watered down because Newsweek owner Katharine Graham [“We live in a dirty and dangerous world. There are some things the general public does not need to know, and shouldn’t.”] was having Henry Kissinger as a weekend guest—Bob launched his own online outlet, Consortium News.

When Gary Webb revived the Contra/cocaine issue in August 1996 with a 20,000-word, three-part series entitled “Dark Alliance,” editors at major newspapers already had a powerful self-interest to slap down a story that they had disparaged for the past decade.

It was still out of bounds to discuss how the Iraq invasion violated the Nuremberg principle against aggressive war and the United Nations Charter, which bars attacking another country except in cases of self-defense or with the approval of the UN Security Council.

Kudos to CD for posting this. Bob will be missed.

Thanks for posting this link. Very informative. The 80s were the beginning of the down hill slide in the US. It was the beginning of the time when it didn’t matter what the president did or knew - he/she would be protected, he/she was above the law that applies to normal people. It is also the time when the people of the US seemed to loose a sense of what it takes to make things right. Thanks to men and women like Parry who are real heroes. We still have some real heroes - even in the USofA.

This is a fantastic summary of Mr. Parry’s work. whose most recent articles where lucid in their neutrality and beautiful in their poignancy.

I said so as much in the comment section.

Will the masses such dedication to the true correlations that comes with historically moral perspectives?

I hope a sufficient number find the will to emulate this great man.

Tears in the loss.

will the masses “learn from” missing above…