Home | About | Donate

The Looming U.S. Water Crisis

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/19/looming-us-water-crisis

2 Likes

Two decades ago when Enron was ramping up energy market manipulation and was Wall Street’s darling, a Wall Street Journal article detailed how Enron’s next move was buying water rights in the US and abroad in order to expand and manipulate water markets.

Enron subsequently crashed and the operatives orchestrating market manipulation scattered in every direction, so the water market plan never moved forward.

During the subsequent two decades all of those Enron operatives have become well positioned in the financial world and are now executing Enron’s dream from many fronts by buying up water rights through hedge funds, private equity and other channels. Their upcoming market manipulation will exacerbate “the looming US water crisis”. The Seattle Times in October 27 and 28, 2019 articles addressed private equity buying water rights in rural eastern Washington, moves that will affect agriculture, hydroelectric power, domestic water, fish and wildlife. You can safely bet your last nickle that Washington is not the only state experiencing this.

11 Likes

Industry and governments are driving us all to buy water in plastic bottles.

Children living today may be the last generation to remember drinking tap water.

Answer the question, “Am I part of the 95% who enabled this to happen?”

3 Likes

Cadillac Desert explores the great advertising propaganda by land speculators to convince Americans to live in places like Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Places that can support only a limited population of humans. Even the Anasazi had to leave their homes because of a two hundred year drought.
The European invaders of Turtle Island brought their worldview that rivers are meant to work, just like people, and dumped their wastes into every waterway they could find. Now we have forever chemicals(thanks, DuPont and Dow!) in the water, and in all of us. I doubt such things could survive when our sun dies and our solar system is consumed.
In any event, there’s only so much water. And corporate greed is ruining it for the rest of us and All Our Relations.

7 Likes

Climate change is bringing more precipitation here in MI.
Weord polar vortex patterns are freezing The Great Lakes over every few winters.
Great Lakes water levels are at historic highs. Shorefront homes are being inundated.

But I’ll join a militia and shoot any pipeline company people who think we’re shipping it to Phoenix.

6 Likes

Not long ago I read an article in High Country News comparing water rates paid by residents in areas of the western US. The most expensive water is in western Washington state and the San Francisco Bay Area while the lowest water rates are in Phoenix and Sacramento.

When I drove around Arizona during the 70s lawns in Phoenix were flooded with several inches of water during summer and when I lived in California’s Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys during the 80s there were no water meters…they charged a flat monthly rate.

2 Likes

Walk through any upscale CA neighborhood–the kind w landscaping and lush lawns–and observe the incredibly wasteful use of water. It’s like they think they are living on another planet.

7 Likes

Don’t forget our good friend Dick Cheney and his work to exempt the fracking industry from oversight and regulation of water use. We now have trillions of gallons of contaminated subsurface water that cannot be used to drink or in agriculture.

Of course, that old vulture will never be held accountable. When your government is for sale to the highest bidder, addressing crises becomes nearly impossible. We don’t have a prayer to intelligently address climate change and water shortages.

4 Likes

Watch for proposals for the next massive engineering project which will inevitably harm the environment even more as the people with dollar signs in their eyes never consider consequences.

These have been proposed in the past but include.

A massive pipeline/canal project to shunt water from the Great Lakes to the midwest and far west.

Massive dams to be build in British Columbia to flood entire valleys with water and then building canals to shunt that water to the USA.

They would not have to conceive of these projects were it not for the idiocy they practiced in the past and practice to this day. Fixing stupidity with more stupidity seems the only solution these guys can come up with.

10 Likes

America is well into a water crisis caused by overpopulation, water mining, Big Ag, urbanization, etc.
The great book Cadillac Desert explains this folly in a specific region, but it’s nationwide.
It all comes from a refusal to understand or care about ecological carrying capacity.
The basic truth is our species is stealing water, air, land, habitat from all other species and using up the biosphere.
The fools have killed the Colorado River. Los Angeles, Phoenix, Vegas and many other places will be ghost towns within a few decades, and good riddance.

3 Likes

Industrial trashing of the environment has left a lot of contamination in many public water supplies.

http://sethmsiegel.com/troubled-water

3 Likes

You are correct. The geo-engineering and destruction of Canadian rivers, springs, lakes and aquifers to “fix American drought and water supply problems” is engineered into trade agreements.
My understanding is that also, Americans have a treaty right to move to Canada if we create another Dust Bowl here in the lower 48.
Sad for Canadians.

1 Like

Good piece. There’s a racial dimension to all this too.

2 Likes

THAT, is the next scenario. And the next big fight.
I live in N IL and yep.

1 Like

I listened for over an hour to someone I know go on and on about building massive desalinazation plants on all the coasts to solve the water crisis. This person is one of the main causes of our current crisis-has multiple gas guzzlers, has a large swimming pool, poisons every insect he sees, and is always going somewhere to shop or get fast food. Doesn’t have a clue. When anyone disagrees with him, he goes on a steroid fueled rampage about how technology will save us. I mentioned that the US will never revive from another economic collapse because of the added pressures of climate change. Man, he went nuts on that observation.
Their household uses well water from a contaminated aquifer by years of various industries dumping wastes onto the ground and from agricultural runoff. I wouldn’t drink it or even bathe in it.
This is what we’re up against. Homo sapiens industrious(or technocratus)

3 Likes

Um, yeah, about that bottled water . . . which, in most cases the corporations pay only an annual permit fee of around $200, and then bottle millions of gallons of water for sale. You do the math.

2 Likes

I had the misfortune to live in Sparty-ville on a temp assignment.
It included the winter of the killer ice storm, i think it was 2013.
It was frightening and nearly deadly, where i lived, no electricity or generator for nearly 2 weeks. got pneumonia. roads impassable, etc.
I remember also the native Michiganders telling me Michigan has the biggest freshwater cache in North America and the reason there was michigan militia and other gun/separatist groups is because Michiganers will “defend our water” when the “thirsty hordes from other states come begging.”
They saw Michigan as a future nation-state (due to the Great Lakes water) when the eco-apocalypse comes, and were looking forward to it.

1 Like

Sorry. This will not resolve itself any time soon. Even if GHG’s stopped tomorrow there’s already a 1.5C rise baked in that ensures droughts will continue to become more severe in the near term future. I say start conserving because fresh water is vital to ALL our lives, even the greedy oligarchs.

2 Likes

We already have a water crisis when we have to flush our toilets 15 times and push the dish water button 10 times to get 4 drops of water, right? The genius in the Oval Office already figured this out.

1 Like

The next and last world war will be over water. Pakistan is dependent on the free flow of water from India so what happens when one nuclear nation shuts off the tap to another nuclear weapon? China’s nation grab of Tibet now has them channeling the headwaters, that supplies all of Southeast Asia, north to western China to irrigate farm land, the California of Asia. The Me Kong is a muddy ditch at certain times of year now and dependent on China “allowing” release from their dams. Life can live without a lot of things but water isn’t one of them.

4 Likes