Home | About | Donate

The Lost Innocence of 9/11

The Lost Innocence of 9/11

Michael Winship

I wrote the piece below for the tenth anniversary of 9/11 in 2011, not long before the Moyers & Company television series and the BillMoyers.com website began. It remains relevant on this 15th anniversary although a few things have changed. One World Trade Center has reached its full 1776 feet in height and office tenants have moved in. More than 25 million have visited the 9/11 memorial and its adjoining museum.

"We seem to have squandered the solidarity and goodwill amongst ourselves that briefly blossomed after the tragic events of 9/11"

It wasn't squandered. It was sinisterly twisted to reinforce the same malevolent forces that created the tragic events. There must be a real investigation.

For a year or two it didn't seem like America anymore, There were armed guards in places nobody every associated with carrying military equipment. There was fear about discussing the causes of 9-11 other than listening to they are against our freedom. It was a less democratic country. The PATRIOT Act was passed and now the government could find out what books we had taken out to read and librarians were not allowed to say anything about revealing such information. Thankfully we are back to our messy democracy again. However, we now realize that democracy is even more messy than we thought and even more dangerous than we thought. I am of course referring to voters in the Republican primary choosing Donald Trump as their nominee. In the old days when party leaders basically chose the nominees for their party this never could have not happened. But making the selection process democratic it opened up the possibility that a populist nominee could be selected who did not represent the values of America but represented the values of a relatively small group of people, in this case largely white nationalists. Many could be included in the Alt-right movement which is associated with white supremacy. To better understand Trump voters it has been suggested that reading "The End of White Christen America" by Robert P. Jones is a good place to start.

No hurry to come to terms with what happened and what to do going forward. From the article

In fact, a new Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board originally called for by the 9/11 commission report in 2004, its powers even strengthened by Congress in 2007, has yet to meet.

I see on the other article posted today there is a revival of "inside job" position of what happened.

I am not on that path, but the article the other day in the NY Times by Bob Graham has some new information, at least to me, about the phone number found on one of the hijackers to an important Saudi facility.

Bob Graham: Release More 9/11 Records

Clear that more is known and hidden from the "citizens."

Over the last few days there has been a long series published on The Guardian about the Senate torture report. Much of the new information comes from Daniel Jones who spent 6 years of his life on the investigation and is the major author of the 6,700 page report. Each of the articles has short videos of players statements over the years. And the CIA did all they could to hide the truth and the Obama administration helped them out. This is the first time I recall that Dianne Feinstein did good work.

In any case, it is a story about government cover up, about violations of the constitution as the CIA spied on the Senate team and how the CIA continues to not take responsibility and the same players want to continue their work in a Hillary administration and continue the CIA effort to destroy the 6,700 page report. They already have "lost" it, but "found" it and there was a time that it was in a Senate safe, but . ...

Here is a link to part 3 from which you can get the link to the other 2 parts to the article.

If you are like me, I know the outlines and have avoided reading about CIA torture for a long time. This is a long article but worthwhile.

No looking back: the CIA torture report's aftermath: The CIA attacks the Senate’s published findings on torture, a report that was the result of six years of work by Daniel Jones. Now he sets out to defend it

I remember as soon as they allowed Dubya to come back to D.C. it was Afghanistan who was going to pay the price, and fast. Dubya, Cheney, and the rest ordered non-stop bombing of the entire country of Afghanistan, and then they ordered bombing again in the same place, until they damn near ran out of bombs. I think about the loss of innocence in America, and around the world after that mourning of Sep.11, 2001.

Mr. Winship, I generally support your work but talking about the patriotic fervor after 9-11 doesn't resonate well with those of us that see the change as a move to fascism. The Patriot Act surely doesn't inspire patriotism nor does the wars and loss of rights and privacy that have come to us thanks to 9-11 and it's perpetrators.
In addition, the government story of how and why it happened doesn't fly either.
I no longer feel the patriotism, it has turned to disgust for me and many others that just can't buy the story.
9-11 was a false flag, inside job and most certainly didn't happen the way they said it did and there is a great deal of science behind why it couldn't have happened in the way they told us it did.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." -- Samuel Johnson

What actually happened with respect to librarians (I am a retired librarian) is that they uniformly refused to provide the records of who checked out books deemed dangerous by the authorities and, in many cases, destroyed those records even with the threat of arrest by these crypto-fascists.
I am proud of my profession.

Hi Siouxrose 11,

I have followed your comments over the years here at commondreams and applaud all of them until today.

Yes there has been a coup d'etat and CD has done an excellent job of reporting it

Yes the two parties work for the oligarchs and CD does an excellent job of reporting it

Yes Obama has continued to protect the oligarchs, bankers, war mongers, etc.

Yes the environment has collapsed and CD has reported it

This site is my first choice to tell someone where to go for a single source, a short update on what is going on in politics

But, the 9/11 in an inside job is too far far for me. I am almost convinced that Kennedy was taken down by the security state, but there is a huge educational effort to get people to understand what is going on and to figure out how to respond.

The Bernie movement, following many efforts, like OWS, has educated millions

The three part series by Spencer Ackerman at The Guardian about the attempts to squash the Senate CIA torture report -- lets raise a stink about that and flush out the criminals

The protests against pipelines and other environmental protests -- lets go with these to put pressure on the politicians to save the climate

And so many more

Hillary recent said out loud "America is Exceptional". American exceptionalism is one of the core foundations of our inability to face the world and face our own past. Jeremy Scahill said that this is so deeply buried in our culture that he does not know what could go beyond it.

I hope that I did not make an error in my characterization of your position, Siouxrose11, and if so, this comment is directed to many others who are active here today on CD

Speaking of 9/11 (although I concede this is off-topic), here is a short clip of Hillary Clinton leaving the 9/11 ceremony this morning because she was "overheated." There is something seriously wrong with her, and I don't think she can hide it anymore. Regardless of whether one supports her candidacy (I don't - I'm a Jill Stein/Ajamu Baraka supporter), people should think long and hard about whether they want Tim Kaine to be the President of the United States, because it appears there is a good chance that he will become the President if Hillary Clinton is elected.

Cogent reply...thanks.

If we know anything at all it is this: The U.S. government has lied to its citizens over and over again, from calling the rightful owners of America, the indigenous, Native Americans, "SAVAGES" in order to steal their land and resources ( still going on today at Standing Rock) to too many other instances and false flags to mention here. Why anyone would believe anything they tell you to believe...is beyond me!

The U.S. government has been found guilty of so many clandestine, surreptitious and nefarious lies that it is now like the boy who cried wolf, even if they were telling the truth about 9/11.. one cannot believe it!

" Lies told often are the story most people take for truth."

Wasn't it Goebbels who said: TELL A BIG LIE; TELL IT OFTEN; AND EVENTUALLY THEY WILL BELIEVE IT.

There are two very good reasons that I do not believe the state's line concerning 9/11:

• The successful orchestration of the propaganda regarding WMDs in Iraq, and

• We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.
    -- William Casey, CIA Director (1981)

I don't know the "truth" of 9/11 but there is one thing I do know for sure; it is not the state's line of propaganda.

"But, the 9/11 in an inside job is too far far for me".... No need to make judgments, time will tell.
History is written by the victors.

You are deluded.

What questions do you have regarding THE seminal event our lifetime?

No truth to be uncovered?

What do you know about the NIST report on WTC7? Nothing to question?

No, you are. Compare the US with Russia. That should makes things clearer for you.

More sentimental drivel that calls 'truthers' , conspiracy loons. No mention of all the anomalies that do no fit the govt. propaganda and misinformation. Gee, can't we all just get along...No Mr Winship, as long as there are people like you who continue to ignore the old adage, Cui Bono ! Any serious researcher knows a false flag when he sees it.Just not you sir ! So keep your flowers and we will press for the truth of all the explosions that day.

Please don't feed the animals and other beasts.

Why did Hillary give massive arms deals to the country the 9/11 hijackers came from?

Oh, right.

Massive contributions to the Clinton foundation.