Home | About | Donate

The Lying Will Now Be Smoother and More Telegenic

The Lying Will Now Be Smoother and More Telegenic

Charles P. Pierce

There are two things I decline to do about the departure of Sean Spicer from behind his White House podium: 1) Care, and 2) Sympathize.

“I will lie and degrade the public discourse more than any living human being, but I cannot work with THAT MAN.” (Sean Spicer’s Last Lament, 2017.)

The Pope could’ve told him that it’s not a sin to lie; that in the King James translation, the Commandment to not “bear false witness” condemns “deceit” which is the intent (purposefully or mistakenly) to lead others to believe lies without technically lying. On the other hand, lying that is meant to avoid harm, can be considered less than a mortal sin. It’s doubtful that anyone in the Trump team is trying to avoid harm with the lies told more as scoffing deceit.

Thank you. I am so tired of people “being nice” when something like this or McCain’s cancer happens. We don’t have to be ugly but we do have to be real and as Anne LaMott said “you own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved that better.” I think we disrespect people by trying to erase their reality … Spicer lied, and lied again without compunction, or any public show of it, so we have to accept that is how he chose to live his professional life. If he did not respect himself or his job (according to my opinion), then I am simply following his lead in not respecting him. I am sure that he will land on his feet financially and hope that he will reflect on what happened. We enable people when we smooth things over.

Brainwashing 2.0

Pigs never seem to be bothered by the smell of the sty.
;-})

My ex-wife once told me that: “I’ll stop lying to you when you start believing me.” I thought that was the most irrational thing I would hear in this life time. And then along comes the Trump Administration.

I hope he writes an honest narrative of his time in the hot seat.