Home | About | Donate

The Make Inequality Worse Act of 2017

The Make Inequality Worse Act of 2017

E.J. Dionne

“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.”

Novelist Anatole France’s mischievous observation came to mind when the Congressional Budget Office released its analysis of the Republican cut-taxes/gut-Medicaid bill and its defenders went into a continuous loop talking about “freedom.” Conservatives are fond of saying that freedom isn’t free. This is entirely true, especially when it comes to health care.

Until America deals with the reality of the structural dimension of inequality, poverty, austerity and racial disparities will not only be a stain on American society, but will continue to limit America’s broader economic prosperity.

""In his youth, Ryan was a devotee of Ayn Rand, whose philosophy is nicely summarized by the title of her book “The Virtue of Selfishness.” She would be proud of her onetime disciple. She excoriated “the draining, exploitation and destruction of those who are able to pay the costs of maintaining a civilized society, in favor of those who are unable or unwilling to pay the cost of maintaining their own existence."”

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Ayn Rand, in her final days, die of A prolonged case of cancer brought on by her excessive smoking habit, lived in squalid public housing, happily collected social security and conveniently used medicare for treatment up until her death, (all deceptively under the name of Ann O'Connor, to save face and keep her "legacy" intact), "while NOT paying the cost of maintaining her own existence"

"In the end Ms. Rand was A hyocrite but could never be accused of not failing to act in her own self interest'-

Quite A thread bare legacy to leave for her hero worshipping Paul Ryan!!!

Translation--let the "free market" treat us all like pieces of human trash.

I often listen to EJ Dionne "debate" David Brooks, Friday afternoons on NPR, and usually wish that someone there would actually represent the Progressive/Left point of view.

EJ can unfailingly be counted on to adhere to Corporate Framing.

No real surprise, the Left has virtually no access to the National Ear.