Home | About | Donate

The #MeToo Movement Is Here to Stay

The #MeToo Movement Is Here to Stay

Sonali Kolhatkar

On Saturday, hundreds of sexual assault survivors and their allies marched and rallied in Hollywood, Calif., for the second annual #MeToo survivors’ march and rally. From noon to 3 p.m. that day, the mostly black and brown female activists spoke, marched and made impassioned calls for justice. What made the action unique was its intersectional approach to sexual assault, focusing on the experiences of low-income women of color.

What happened after the crime was committed?

You did not speak up then for fear of reprisal, or you did and no one believe you. Or some one did believe you, offered no sympathy and said “it happens, get on with it”…?

The enablers in every case are the criminals. Weinstein had small cadre of employees who would help facilitate his crimes, and these included women. Were they ever looked at?

ICE is an abomination of an organization, and performs an inhuman task. Ms. Estrada could not have expected any humanity had she approached another agent about what happened to her offspring.

But everyday in the court systems, money is worshiped and victims are shunted to move on without consequences for criminals with power.

Accountability has to take on a new form. It might happen through me too. Or it may be that me too will also pass, because it did not address the right things.

1 Like

At this point I am still encouraged. With Trump’s first day and “The Women’s March” I thought that we would easily run out of protesters before we ran out of protests. But so far so good.

1 Like

Thank you, Sonali. You are correct to segment these groups. Each wants a metoo moment, but each may face entirely different hurdles to pass over.
These groups often are intentionally marginalized in a deliberate form of harassment/torture which serves to exercise power or control over the individual and those associated with him or her.
A collection of projects hidden for years which has only partly surfaced can be found in the meetings of the Presidential Committee on Bioethics, formerly meeting semiannually but now cancelled. In this group of topics are so-called experiments which are administered to groups causing severe mental and health disease–and death.
https://bioethicsarchive.georgetown.edu/pcsbi/meetings.html

It is time to expand the #MeToo movement to acknowledge that the Conservative attack on women’s reproductive rights is the ultimate form of sexual assault.

1 Like

Replacing another ten or twenty men with women in congress every election will help the cause.

1 Like