Home | About | Donate

'The Moment Is Now': Clashes Erupt After US-Backed Guaido Calls for Military Uprising in Venezuela

'The Moment Is Now': Clashes Erupt After US-Backed Guaido Calls for Military Uprising in Venezuela

Jake Johnson, staff writer

This is a breaking news story... Check back for updates.

The elected government of Venezuela said it is working to put down a right-wing coup attempt after U.S.-backed opposition leader Juan Guaido called for a military uprising in a video posted to Twitter Tuesday morning.

1 Like

This little POS CIA-trained traitor needs to be immediately arrested and summarily executed. I’ve been calling for this for months. i realize what Maduro has been trying to do by ignoring him, but the U. S. does not back down from coups they want to happen so they can seize the oil our masters want. Do you think Trump and his people would tolerate someone who appointed himself U. S. President run around the region calling for his overthrow? Hell no, and Donnie would be not just calling for his arrest and execution, he would make it happen. This is shameful, not only on the part of the U. S., but also our puppet allies, who do our bidding to keep getting our aid. This is one time when sadly, the Russians and the Chinese are on the right side of history and we are not.

16 Likes

Does anybody have evidence of reports that US military/espionage forces are actively supporting the coup?

1 Like

One has to think that Guaido was green-lighted from the WH.

4 Likes

This article from feb 7 might shed some light:

8 Likes

Senator Rubio has certified himself insane.

8 Likes

this is exactly what trump and his fascist henchmen have wanted to happen, their greed and blood lust, other peoples blood that is! these are some sick, murderous bastards. this is beyond disgusting. trump and his entire cabal should be the ones in gitmo, torture included, since they like doing that to other people that are probably much better than them!

4 Likes

Hardly insane, just your typical corrupt immoral American politician supporting the plutocracy. You could call him evil, that would fit.

7 Likes

Reuters Exclusive:
# Exclusive: Blackwater founder’s latest sales pitch - mercenaries for Venezuela

6 Likes

its being “privatized”

4 Likes

This is the last desperate gasp by Guaido to grab power. It is almost comical to watch as he has clearly lost and is now relying on private right wing paramilitary groups to generate violence. When you and your CIA bagmen have so few cards to play, this is what you do. A bunch of rank amateurs running this show.

Truth is Venezuela is using Russia and China as a counterweight. In return, Russia and China gets Venezuela to price oil in non US currencies (just like Iran). This move under cuts the US dollar as the world reserve currency. This diminishes US economic influence and impacts on US debt payments. Minimally, another 200-300 billion dollars a year in debt repayment as demand for US dollars shrinks.

Truth is Russia and China know what they are doing. They are playing offence while the US is desperately trying to play defense. In geopolitical terms, this is a low cost, high return type of play by Russia and China. The US is badly positioned and is nearly out of any sort of leverage. And as I said above, a bunch of rank amateurs running this show. Maybe they can pull a rabbit out of the hat but I wouldn’t bet on it.

11 Likes

You do not “support democracy” by following the wishes of a non-elected traitor who supports and is supported BY the forces that has put years of economic sanctions on the nation, resulting in poverty and dire economic circumstances for many.
• Guaidó is essentially little more than a cog in the wheel of the international oil business who with the help of the CIA and the current U.S. government in general, seeks to get access to and control of the largest oil reserves in the world.
This is one more illegal and tragic military intervention waiting in the wings. Democracy it is NOT.
— Let us support people like presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard in a solid stance against interventionist regime-change wars — which the U.S. has initiated many times before — but ONLY when it servers the MIC’s interests. It has NEVER been based upon a desire to see a functional democracy in place. One good example is Saudi Arabia. Can’t be more anti-democratic than that.
— For “official USA,” democracy is but a Slogan, a Bumper-Sticker, a Sales Pitch. Our multiple rigged elections and election laws which discourage voters here, is proof of that.
Enough said.

9 Likes

The CIA or whatever alphabet agency would tell you that its top secret need to know basis only and you don’t need to know. Don’t you just love secrecy in a democratic gov’t?

However, Guaido’s link to the US has been established. Its not hard to put two and two together from that point. This is how the US set up banana republics in the past.

7 Likes

Reduce the country to rubble with sanctions then bring in your personal savior. With guns. Sound familiar?

What a bleak and disgusting presence this country is on the planet.

8 Likes

For anyone with a knowledge of history, the presence of Elliot Abrams and John Bolton in this scenario is rather strong evidence for a deep desire opposing national sovereignty and rule of law.

7 Likes

I wonder why the Venezuelan government hasn’t arrested this SOB traitor yet.

1 Like

It pays to create Chaos, wars and disasters. The MIC must use those weapons aggressively or risk losing the 100’s of billions they receive annually from American tax payers. So long as the weapon makers remain in charge our nation will not be free.

1 Like

Only idiots such as those running the USA would be misguided enough to believe that democracy begins with a military coup. What’s Guaido going to do after Maduro gets taken down? Hold elections to see who gets elected for president? Or is he going to seat himself as president? It’ll be the latter of course… That’s not democracy.

3 Likes

I’m going with Mike Gravel and here is why - a report card on all the Dem candidates:

3 Likes

I saw on the internet Guaido administer the oath of office to himself. That formed my opinion.

1 Like