Home | About | Donate

The Money Behind the California Wildfires

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/07/money-behind-california-wildfires

The example of these wildfires in California should lead to the urgency to act and should make it apparent to everyone that tinkering around the edges (See the paris Climate accords which were a crock) is not going to help.

Capitalism is going to devour the entire world and all of those insurance industries and banks that help to lead to this destruction operate under the “for profit” model that is Capitalism.

Capitalism is a monster.

4 Likes

Toward the end of the essay, we find ourselves mired in that threadbare old call-to-irrelevancy: the fossil fuel divestment campaign, which has been led (unfortunately not into the ground) for years by greengreen groupie-groups such as three-fifty-dot.

In case there remain any thinking adults unacquainted with the problematical aspects of fossil fuel divestment, it bears mentioning that nobody has ever coherently explained how such so-called divestment (arguably McK’s nuttiest notion) might even conceivably hurt the corporations, or create any effect they’re likely to notice, let alone become suddenly transformed by, motivated to protect Life on Earth.

(We can’t reform a mess like this, in other words. Time to start fresh, from scratch.)

Here’s what the shocking torrent of burgeoning fires all over my state has to say to us: The only games which matter anymore are those which stop carbon emissions. But long after carbon emissions stop, California will continue circling the drain ecologically. Our forests are toast, now. Well beyond the operative tipping points. Even for coastal redwoods, most piteously, today.

The science on how well forests recover from these megafires does not get any more cheerful as time goes by, since this really got going in 2017. Evidence accumulates that this is good-bye:

Many forests scorched by wildfire won’t bounce back
~https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200902182415.htm

1 Like

Money to burn

Hi SuspiraDeProfundis:
I am horrified with a these fires! I just assumed that trump and his vindictive self were sending in drones to start fires------but apparently there are other criminals at work Iiberty Ins. and AIG------wow—I wonder who wiII drone their houses down.
California wiII be one big burnt out fire pit , which shouldn’t make you happy trump—because you just Iost a BIG tax base.

Hopefully that 7,000 acre fire mentioned in the photo caption will spur California to increase penalties for private unregulated fireworks trafficking and use.

During times of heavy rain sequester the water in reservoirs. That is not hard to understand. The Tulare Lake Basin in Central California needs to be reconstituted. This results in fire breaks and a wetter climate. Using all the water, diverting it to LA, is dumb and has caused this crises. It is one of the factors. This is what the EPA was formed for. We need to store the water in places, draining the swamps, marshes and lakes is really dumb.

4 Likes

Twenty five percent of the states population live in fire hazard zones. (millions of people)

1 Like

…or 100% if you count this ceaseless damn smoke. After much of Santa Rosa got flattened, they might have needed to recalculate which houses appear inside that “wildland-urban interface” zone. It was only a couple of years ago the world first heard of a fire-tornado. Things change so quickly now.

You still hear grown-ups discussing wildland fire management strategies and how the Indians were wise to let stuff burn every now and then, as if the planet we inhabit today has anything to do with all that old stuff. All the forests are apparently doomed now. How were people supposed to know things would turn out this way, when they decided where (not to mention whether) to raise a family, four decades ago?

California already does that in more than 1,000 reservoirs.

Eleven of them can hold over 1,000,000 acre feet of water:

~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_reservoirs_of_California

I think it is pretty evident in wildland-urban interface areas how the ecology is changed in ways that eliminate some natural protections. Loss of diversity would be another thing. I think the gradual change in how we view the natural world in another. Overtime families have changed, but the knowledge gained from continuity is sometimes lost in that process. So even while we learn, we can learn the wrong things.

350 org has done some excellent work over the years in educating the public and in staging events that have drawn attention to the climate crisis. Divestment works! but, only with the widespread support of the public.
Many thanks to the authors for bringing our attention to Liberty Mutual and AIG and their hypocrisy in providing finance for fossil fuel extraction and simultaneously, insurance for consumers. Capitalism (hence divestment) is a Cancer on humanity and it is burning us up.

I simply disagree. My opinion is that the irrefutably phony, flagrantly ineffective strategy of fossil fuel divestment has done incalculable harm, by diverting activist energy which could have been directed in some useful, effective direction. Your cheerleader chant of “Divestment works!” is the total proof we usually hear of its own assertion. Circular masturbation, without a single thing any of you can point to: Works in what respect? What success can divestment kooks point to? They’ve succeeded in prolonging inaction, with the consequence that California’s forests are now irredeemably lost. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Tulare Lake Basin in Central California was 10 times the size of Rhode Island. This wet are was sacred to the Native Americans. It was destroyed by ranchers, farmers and LA. They need to put back what they have taken. Who is to say the 40,000 of fish take per month are less valuable than the cows? Plus the water keeps the climate steady. We don’t have enough storage as you can see buy looking out the window in CA if that is where you live. I have had smoky unhealthy condition for 3 weeks.

I sympathize with your sentiment, but your claims are flimsy.

A “basin” is not a lake. It’s essentially a hydrologic drainage area. Mostly a wetland in this case, that was sometimes wetter and sometimes drier depending on weather conditions. I’m a big defender of wetlands, by the way – I know a fair amount about them living in Michigan. Tulare Lake was one of several lakes in the basin in question, and it varied in size by a lot season to season.

As an actual lake, Tulare Lake was less than half the size of Rhode Island at its largest. Still really big, but not like you portray.

I’m not disputing you to undermine the need to return wetlands to their natural state. But the effort to do that has zero traction in any of the big ag dominated economies where it’s being proposed. California’s central valley is a prime example.

Sorry about those fires. Even sorrier that they’ll only get worse as years go by.

Speaking of lakes, the Great Lakes basin is being disrupted by climate chaos in the opposite direction. It’s raining more around here, filling the Great Lakes to new records. Lakeshore properties are being inundated:

~https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/2020-05-05-great-lakes-record-levels-april

An unexpected altercation with a local 350 manager jerk left me wondering whose side 350org is on. After my casual statement opposing “driverless” AV tech as a fraud, his almost shouted response was a menacing “There is nothing wrong with AV tech!” No room for discussion with that well-dressed professional possibly looking out for the interests of 350 donors from Silicon Valley and Seattle. One of the California Divestment Groups encouraged me to write an expose about AV tech. The finished 500-word essay “The Walking Communities of 2040” focused on the folly of self-driving car tech left the divestment group unimpressed. Or maybe they were unimpressed with my advocacy for plug-in hybrid PHEVs which offer more benefits, advantages, applications and potential to reduce fuel/energy consumption, air pollution and traffic havoc than all-battery BEVs like the Tesla ‘S’ road lizard;
the most over-rated EV on the road?