Home | About | Donate

The Moral Movement Against Violence

The Moral Movement Against Violence

Robert Reich

Join the Ku Klux Klan and get 10 percent off on your next Fed Ex shipment!

Okay, the National Rifle Association isn’t quite the Klan. But it’s getting closer. For years, big corporations had welcomed the opportunity to accumulate more customers by giving discounts to NRA members, even if they pack assault rifles.

Yet in the aftermath of the shootings in Parkland, Florida, and the activism of high school students, corporations are bailing out of their deals with the NRA.

The cowards in our midst are the first to abuse others and cling to their “self-defense” weapons the most tenaciously. The NRA and various hate groups know just how to manipulate the cowards’ paranoid minds to achieve the needs of greed and misplaced power. Yes Prof. Reich, it is a moral issue. I hope the young people stay on the issue for it is their world and that of their children that is at stake. As a boomer, I can say that my generation dropped the ball on morality when it let itself wallow in the shallow slop of the nation’s “success” (really excess) fed to it by the hyper-financialized capitalistic system at the cost of most of the rest of the world. How is that for morality. The costs of American excess have been born not just in the hamlets of Viet Nam, but in myriad locales about which nothing is mentioned, but military might is unleashed. Toto, pull harder please. Most of us just want to go home to a land of peace–a land that will have to be rebuilt and taken, yes by morality, back from the dark forces of greed and plunder. Oh, and by the way, we’ve pissed off Mother Nature along the way. That is also going to require a moral remedy.

Cheryl Wheeler “If it were up to me” (with lyrics)

… and FedEx has dropped their NRA discount. Sorry, much as I despise both KKK and NRA, this is verbal violence that only adds to the confusion.

Part of the moral difficulty is that the great moral force of our national origin, Christendom (no, I did not say Christianity), has promulgated a myth of redemptive violence. Parkland happened on Ash Wednesday, as if to call the nation to proper repentance in the 7 weeks to the great festival of redemptive violence, Holy Week. We conveniently ignore why Jesus was executed (and how many other Judeans were also crucified by that empire) and make it all about us, that God demanded a price be paid for our sins. We Christians need to put a stop to this misrepresentation and remember that the reason Lent is 40 days is to commemorate a period of temptation and reflection (that is recounted as preceding the launch of his ministry, not his execution). We have lots to learn from this Lent.

Wait! We’re not?

As posted elsewhere here I emailed F.N.B. of Omaha and thanked them for stopping their support for the NRA. I actually got an email back thanking me and inviting me seek their assistance if I should need it. There truly is a right way to do things, I think we may be off to a good start at a turn-a-round.

Violence begets more Violence.

It sounds simple, and it really is that simple.

If any movement must exist in this country to prevent Violence, it must be a movement “away” from supporting those political parties that give rise to and full support to Empire building.

You all know what I’m talking about.

Democrats and Republicans.

Dump them both and support Peaceful Coexistence with all nations.

Your entire ideology fundamentally relies upon the use of violence and it’s threat against innocent people. But that’s treated as OK because of what you want.

I’ll buy your moral movement against violence when you demonstrate the commitment to ending aggression and the use of violence by implication, when you stop trying to use govt against innocent people to get what you want.

The movement against violence you disagree with while evading the fact you use of violence for what you want, doesn’t wash.

Just want to add Dick’s to the list for support. OK, it’s only assault weapons they’re going to drop, and they already had from most of their stores. But it’s all around “We don’t want to be part of this story,” after they found they’d sold Nikolas Cruz a shotgun late last year. And when a retailer says they’ll restrict and vet gun sales beyond what the government requires, I’m impressed.

And speaking of violence, did you all hear of the “retirement” of the top diplomat working on NKorea? http://www.businessinsider.com/joseph-yun-resigns-north-korea-state-department-2018-2
Though he apparently told the Korean news agency that it wasn’t about the policy shifts, it does look a little suspicious that he finalized his retirement just after Ivanka got sent to his birthplace to toughen up the sanctions.

And it is not as if we didn’t already know we had the biggest dumbfuck ever in the WH.

Here is a so-called (self called) genius who does not even know that:

1. Ar-15’s are legally purchased.
  2. “Mentally ill” people as a group are less of a violent risk of mass shootings and other violent attacks.
  3. And thinks military school and public are the same.

And some of us think we have much more to learn from Buddha. Because many of us can say of the Christ approach --"been there, done that, and it is not for me."
YMMV.

“All experiences are preceded by mind, having mind as their master, created by mind.” The Buddha

Why aren’t people this aggressive and upset at corporations in general? They are at the heart of the problem. Does your moral movement only go so far as guns? Get rid of guns and what are you left with? A violent inhumane country that is destroying the planet.

This is getting so old.

Talk about taking one line out of context to jump on it! I thought I was pretty critical of the general “Christ approach” that is, indisputably, the dominant theology in US culture. It happens to be Lent; that’s why, for instance, Wendy’s and Burger King are promoting their fish sandwiches, because some Christians still “fast” from meat on these 7 Fridays. Nothing I said excludes Buddhism. What does “YMMV” mean?

Who said it’s only about guns? But this was about corporations untangling themselves from the NRA. We each address what we’re able to address.

Did not mean to insult or take anything out of context. My hindsight is 20/20. Funny how that works almost every time I err.

Your Mileage May Vary

I’m uncertain of the absolute latest news on that, what is your source?

Guess I misheard. According to this CNN report yesterday,

FedEx is retaining its discount for NRA members, but has gone on record against assault weapons, and has retaliated for being outed on the member discount by claiming that UPS gives discounts to the NRA itself. In fact, that amounts to petulance that UPS has NRA’s account for its on-line swag store and FedEx doesn’t. Sigh.

Anyway, it’s still overboard for Reich to suggest FedEx has a discount program for Klan members.

Sailor J–Thoughts and Prayers Makeup

(double post, she is worth it, sorry)

If it were up to me, I’d take away the guns.
Not exactly a flippant dismissal of corporate culture,
but I suppose along the same lines as T & P makeup.
Cheryl has more songs about her dogs and her home.