Home | About | Donate

The More Israelis Breathe, the More Palestinians Choke: IDF Soldiers Kill Autistic Man For No Discernible Reason

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/further/2020/06/15/more-israelis-breathe-more-palestinians-choke-idf-soldiers-kill-autistic-man-no

3 Likes

The Israelis had a choice. They could have created a democratic state in which Jews and Arabs lived together in perpetuity as equal citizens, or they could have created a racist state in which one group subjects the other to a humiliating base existence, and which could never last.

They chose the latter.

8 Likes

Really? Apparently the fact that 20% of Israel’s population is made up of Arab citizens (~2 million) doesn’t count? Israel (land of just 7 thousand sq miles, the size of New Jersey) has more democracy in a square mile in that geographic area than any of the 1.5 million sq miles miles of Arab countries that surround them… Syria, Saudia Arabia, Yemen, Libya, Egypt. Arab citizens are on the supreme court, have political parties. LGBTQ population has rights not found in any country nearby. Israel is NOT perfect. They have issues, just like in America. But please.

We must continue to support that but expand it to recognize that the UN needs to be re-imagined to the point of having real teeth and to function as the only world body permitted to have a standing peace keeping force where NO nation is permitted to have a standing army of any kind.

Now, I would like to see this tying of struggles to two other human groups who remain invisible to their respective nations: The indigenous people in US America and the Dalits of India.

5 Likes

So you don’t deny any of the facts of this state murder? Then what’s your point?

But please.

5 Likes

If you have not seen the Netflix series Unorthodox, take a few hours and explore the examination of the brutal orthodoxy of the Hasidic Sect of Judaism.

The immanence of their Law and the TOTAL SUBMISSION required of followers speaks directly to one of the steering elements in this Israeli State Sponsored Terrorism.

I believe it to be a fundamental Error in Religious Thought.
It is a tribalistic anachronism born out of an ancient patriarchal “need to be dominant”.

It is not based upon reason or empirical evidence, or even philosophical arguments.

As Sam Harris writes, “On the subject of religious belief, we relax standards of reasonableness and evidence that we rely on in every other area of our lives. We relax so totally that people believe the most ludicrous propositions, and are willing to organize their lives around them.”

Or indeed as is the case with Israel, build an apartheid government that tortures, murders and requires genocide of their neighbors to maintain a ruling position of superior dominance.

They Are Us.

3 Likes

Yes, they are both the top two terrorist nations in world now. But please.

3 Likes

Democracy??? hahahahaha

When you have massive wealth inequality…You don’t have a democracy.
When your government oppresses a segment of it’s citizens…You don’t have a democracy.
When your government works to deny the vote to it’s citizens…You don’t have a democracy.

“20% of Israel’s population is made up of Arab citizens”, nice slip, since they live in a country renamed Israel, wonder why they’re not “Israeli citizens”.

So Dave_L, how much of that $2000 have you earned today?

3 Likes

No group is superior. No Israeli can say, “because of my religion, I am superior to Muslim Arabs.” No white cop can say, “I’m a decent Christian and therefore there just MUST be justification for my homicide.”

I was surprised at the Rohingya genocide that Buddhists could be so viciously murderous. But obviously they are.

Social urges, the need to fit in and to be morally validated by your group is more important than any supposed philosophy that group, religion, political party, philosophical -ism, and so when we look at the noble roots of any religion we should not be surprised that it devolves into chaos and genocide.

Nor can a group be defined without its exclusion of others, its insistence on its superiority, and all that lead to the violent demonstration that their superiority justifies treating the “other” like animals.

How can a Jew become a Nazi? How can a Christian become a Devil worshiper? And yet it happens. It happens because the people of the religion care nothing about the religion, only about proving that they’re superior to others who are not in their group. There is nothing humane about humanity.

Read Democracy Now’s headlines today (6/16/20). Evidently the new solution to police violence is to turn their heads from KKK lynchings. Then the police can look like good guys saying, “we take this very seriously and are conducting a thorough investigation,” all the while winking at their Klansman brothers. Now everyone’s hands are clean in this “race war.” And yes, it is a race war.

3 Likes

Don’t paint them all with the same brush: the Satmar Khasidim, like the Neturei Karta, are strongly anti-Zionist:

The head of the Satmar Hassidic sect has accused his followers of increasingly admiring Israel for its military and political accomplishments, imploring them to maintain the Hasidic group’s hardline anti-Zionism.

Addressing thousands of Satmar members at Long Island’s Nassau Coliseum, Rabbi Aaron Teitelbaum lamented what he called a “tremendous and terrible spiritual decline” among his followers.

“According to the rumors I heard, [people] are excitedly talking about the news of [the Israelis’] accomplishments, how smart they are, how they succeed politically and militarily, and about their heads of government,” Teitelbaum told the crowd in an address in Yiddish on Sunday, according to a Hebrew translation from the Kann public broadcaster.

“We must yell gevalt, gevalt! To where have we come?” he declared. “We have no part in Zionism. We have no part in their wars. We have no part in the State of Israel.”

The Satmar, one of the largest Hasidic groups in the world, is staunchly anti-Zionist and does not recognize the State of Israel, maintaining a Jewish state should not exist until the Messiah appears.

“We’ll continue to fight God’s war against Zionism and all its aspects,” Teitelbaum said.

HI Dave:

sigh----considering what happened in the Holocaust, a person would think that no people would want to pass that experience on to others----and yet, many Israel!;is have become !ike nazis…

3 Likes

Let’s start with this (out of more than 65 laws that discriminate against Palestinian “citizens” of the Apartheid State of Israel:

According to the Absentees’ Property Law (1950), Palestinian refugees expelled after November 29, 1947, are “absentees” and are denied any rights. Their land, houses/apartments, and bank accounts (movable and immovable property) were confiscated by the state.

Simultaneously, the Law of Return (1950) gave Jews from anywhere in the world the right to automatically become Israeli citizens.

3 Likes

Hi SkepticTank:
I guess that the Balfour Agreement was a total piece of untruths from the very beginning. Shame on you too UK for going along with this unforgivable act of theft…

1 Like