Home | About | Donate

The Mosquito Gap

The Mosquito Gap

Sarah Anderson

OK, I admit it, I’m a freeloader.

My neighbors asked if I’d go in on a mosquito control service last spring, and I turned them down. I was skeptical about whether the “eco-friendly” service would actually work. But I was mostly taken aback by the cost: $750 for the season.

Several neighbors went ahead and paid for the service, which proved so effective I was able to enjoy my back yard for the first time without first dousing myself with bug spray.

I don’t see any reason people, including the wealthy, can’t work on mosquito control themselves. Mosquitoes breed in standing water and the larvae have to come to the surface to breathe. Eliminate all the sources of standing water in your neighborhood that you can and spray a light coating of canola oil on the surface of the ones you can’t and you will get rid of most of the mosquitoes without DDT or insecticides. Instead of waiting for someone else or the public to solve the problem, get off your ass and do something about it yourself.

spoken like a true right wing moron… way to go shit brownn

Thank you, Sarah Anderson, for shining a light on a topic that doesn’t get the attention it deserves!

This is one situation in which the Neocon canard, “We are fighting them there, so that we don’t have to fight them over here.” would actually make some sense. It is a bitter irony that some of the local governments that can’t afford mosquito control, manage to nevertheless find the money to lure and/or retain major sports franchises. Most find a way to keep golf courses well-maintained. It is a question of priorities, not money.

The evolution to eco friendly mosquito poisons did not happen without a profit motive.
The folks who come by promising a mosquito free outdoors are making a healthy living doing so.

Not having that option (removing the profit motive), or making a common good priority which may involve a people’s government would demand a different economic system based on accountability.

This may actually incorporate some personal responsibility as well.
Here is where those who look beyond themselves have an advantage. If you can’t see how far up north mosquitoes have been able to inhabit for longer seasons, you may not care about a plan of action.

But if you knew that there was a solution that you were sharing in that was ecologically destructive only to poisonous species and you could make a large difference by contributing in a small way, you would, wouldn’t you?

Sarah did not have that choice. Because of the system.

How did you arrive at ‘rightwing moron’ from reading sbrownn’s post???

Years and years ago I worked for a seven district wide mosquito control in the twin cities.
Part of our work was helping people remove standing water sites on their property, especially discarded tires, old cans and livestock tanks that were breeding habitat for anopheles larvae that carried equine and human encephalitis. Additionally, a light spraying of a non toxic veg oil does work mosquito breeding places.
So, what exactly is right wing about sbrownn’s suggestions???

Please provide links to the “eco friendly” mosquito control that was referenced in this article.

Lots of misinformation and false advertising out there regarding “safe mosquito control”. I’m curious as to what this “very effective” $750 service consisted of? That is a very important piece missing from this article which focuses only on humans. Separation of humans from the complexity and interconnected web of life is the biggest gap of all.

so if you bother to read an article like this one: http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/un_poverty_official_touring_al.html

and then if you say the following:

adds up to right wing moron. There are plenty of people to poor to do anything about it themselves. That’s where government or public help comes in.

We are all at risk of extinction—it will be a lot more than just diseases from “pests”.

The wealthy may be shielded for a time in their mosquito free (at what cost to other species?) yards . . . but eventually all will be impacted by human’s destruction of the biosphere spearheaded by sociopaths/narcissists (in both “parties”) and people like the malignant narcissist that some call the president of the u.s.

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2018-04-01/silent-spring-revisited-new-worries-human-future/

I live close to a stream, natural habitat for mosquito larvae. Thankfully we have an adequate supply of Gaia’s mosquito control, bats. The skeeters are of no issue during the day, and in the evenings, when the breeze dies down, I light my tiki torches. They are strategically placed around our outdoor living space and do a pretty good job keeping skeeters at bay.

I live in a mosquito abatement district, though, so my quasi-natural remedy may not be as effective as I think it is.