Home | About | Donate

'The Most Dangerous Situation That Humanity Has Ever Faced': Doomsday Clock Now 100 Seconds to Midnight

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/23/most-dangerous-situation-humanity-has-ever-faced-doomsday-clock-now-100-seconds

1 Like

From the article:

“Jerry Brown, the current executive chair of the Bulletin, also spoke at the press conference Thursday. He criticized Trump for delivering a speech—at the World Economic Forum’s summit for the global elite (emphasis mine) in Davos, Switzerland—that called for rejecting ‘alarmists’ and ‘perennial prophets of doom,’ along with their ‘predictions of the apocalypse.’”

Rather than “the global elite,” I suggest we revive and spread FDR’s categorization: “malefactors of great wealth,” and bask in their hatred.

As to Twump’s reflexive dismissal, what else did we expect but another porcine grunt? “Nothing to see here, folks. Move along now.” (meaning no disrespect to actual pigs)

10 Likes

Pretty alarming, so, for now, what to do? Seems like not very many governments are willing to do anything other than chasing the money for more money and power. Have the insane actually taken over the asylum, sure does look that way. Maybe someday, if there is to be any hope for the planet, and ALL it’s inhabitants, yes, that does include non-humans, possibly the UN might grow some spine, and some teeth and get the right people involved, there might be some forward momentum. One can only hope for the best.

5 Likes

I ran several time trials.
I can easily down a couple of shots of bourbon in 100 seconds.
Of course, I’ll need more data…I’ll check back with you on that.

11 Likes

At that point no need for the shot glass - just chug

10 Likes

Our dear ex-gov was Captain Fracktastic while in office. Gotta keep that revenue running, you know. Did the Bulletin put his face in front because they view towering hypocrisy as the best way to tackle the Climate Catastrophe, or are they just hopelessly tone-deaf?

5 Likes

Supposing both environmental and nuclear doomsday actually happen. How will either or both of these catastrophes impact the rich and the ultra rich? That’s the question on their mind. They know the odds are in their favor, the world be damned. We as responsible citizens must devise methods that aim to chip away and deny access to their wealth. Without the means to escape global nuclear and/or environmental impacts the rich will be singing a different tune.

6 Likes

“It is 100 seconds to midnight. We are now expressing how close the world is to catastrophe in seconds—not hours, or even minutes,” Bronson said Thursday. "It is the closest to Doomsday we have ever been in the history of the Doomsday Clock.

True, and what is really terrifying, America now has an insane leader with his hands on the nuclear trigger, so I would make that 30 seconds to midnight and hope like hell I am wrong!

8 Likes

I’ll laugh at them when they try to count their money while holding their breath submerged in hot toxic soup. They have to have air, water, and food to survive, just like the rest of us.

5 Likes

Yeah but supposing in their stupid calculus they can install air and water filteration systems, grow food in indoor green houses, and wait out the fall out, etc. But w/o their money all that taught goes out the window.

2 Likes

With climate change, as with many forms of suicide, you don’t quite know if you have drifted past the point of no return. Maybe you can struggle back to continuing to stay alive, and maybe you can’t. So, “100 seconds to midnight” has to be taken in this light. Is your watch just a bit fast or is it slow?

2 Likes

Actual pigs have higher intelligence than Trump.

8 Likes

Ther is no “nuclear trigger” nor “button”. The Orange Moron can only give the launch codes to the commanders. After that, it’s up to them if they want to obey an idiotic, deranged narcissist and end most life on earth.

4 Likes

Nah. They’ll take the cyanide pills. (Prescribed by their psychoanalyists.) $$$

1 Like

Or they will establish colonies on Mars with Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos (or so they believe).

Maybe the Martians will eat them. :wink:

2 Likes

I believe the Martians would be more selective.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification, but let’s hope they refuse to obey their AGENT ORANGE MORON, who in my opinion would start a Third World War if he thought it was good for…HIM!

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing out the treacherous fraudJerry Brown, talking like an “environmentalist” while taking millions of bucks from big oil.

Let’s put that oil to good use in tarring this lying opportunist, his crony Gavin Newsom, and Catherine Reheis-Boyd of the Western States Petroleum Association, then re-injecting them back to the slick dark hole from where they crawled, and capping that well for good.

4 Likes

I keep flashing on “Dr.Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb” and the scene with a general (I think) riding the “bomb” waving his cowboy hat is the air.

Nope, just looked. It was just a major, not a general.

3 Likes

Trump is the best stooge the establishment has ever had, so no doubt they will do everything in their power to back Biden as they have to know Bernie as POTUS would be the worst thing that could ever happen to them.

4 Likes