Home | About | Donate

The Murder of George Floyd: The Longest Running Play in America

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/30/murder-george-floyd-longest-running-play-america

3 Likes

The cold-blooded murderer wanted his face to be seen by the masses for his fifteen minutes of fame. He wasn’t going to hide his identity behind the mask and sheet of the KKK. No, he wanted to make sure we saw his uniform and his face. And what’s in store for the rest of us who refuse to follow the corporate Elite and demand to be part of the human species.
As for Mr. Floyd…I pray to the goddess that he entered a coma, where he felt no pain or fear, that his call for Mama was to the Great Mother.

4 Likes

It’s like they keep making the same terrible movie over and over and over, with different actors but only minor changes to the script.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for Tyron Guyton’s murderers to be charged - but I don’t even see a Wikipedia page for him today.

(~https://freedomarchives.org/Documents/Finder/DOC513_scans/TyroneGuyton/513.TyroneGuyton.pamphlet.pdf)

An interesting data source on police killings for the years 2013 through 2019 can be found at
~https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/compare-police-departments

For example, there you can see that there were 128 cases in their data base with police killing unarmed black people. Of those cases, Officers were charged with a crime in 13 (10%) of the cases and convicted and sentenced in only 4 (≈ 3%).

2 Likes

“Officer” Derek Chauvin’s knee revealed the content of his character.

I find it interesting that his surname is Chauvin. I wonder if he is a descendant of Nicolas Chauvin who is the eponym of the words chauvinism and chauvinist.

1 Like

As good an assessment of this murderer as any. The “tell” for me was not just the brutality of this cops knee, but his hand in his pocket as he looked out at the cameras/crowd as he strangled the life out of Floyd for over seven minutes. His face was also seen by those those he serves - the elite rulers of the globe. His face and his cold heart demonstrated to them that he was their true servant.

1 Like

3 solidly, regressive structures are fixed like concrete in our country: Police Unions, and Bill-I-kiss-orange-Mussolini’s-ass Barr, and of course, Barr’s Don. Oh, and not to forget, a further fascistic move with another rightwing US Supreme Court judge replacing RBG. Good god.

Any change for the better will not happen and only get worse until city by city, county by county, The People enmasse break/demolish these
antihumane forces. Anything else isn’t going to bring real, structural change which we are in dire need of.

4 Likes

The author asks, “How can we defend the rule of law when the law is a racist murderer? How can we defend democracy when democracy is a corporate plutocracy on one end and a noose on the other?”

In this country we have neither the rule of law, that is where the consequences of one’s actions is determined by the law on the books rather than the whims of those in power, nor do we have a democracy, that is where the will of the majority is identified and implemented.

2 Likes

Actually, the reptilian brain is a lot nicer than all that, if you are really talking about the neurological term and not some piece of loose shorthand.

Chauvin kneeled on the man’s neck, stared at the camera and the crowd with apparent defiance, and made sure to murder his victim slowly and in plain view. There’s a lot of twisted upper cerebral perversion in that. He appeared to make a show of letting his arms go down, showing that the victim had been subdued and making a show murdering him slowly over his last pleas for life.

Among other things, he appeared to know that he would not be prosecuted. Before you just call him a madman, as yourself whether he or his uniformed accomplices on the scene have been arrested.

I am not sure what Shetterly means by a long-running play, exactly, but any way I can imagine the metaphor, we ought to imagine that we have a way to go before intermission.

Quote, “To strangle George Floyd with his hands, officer Derek Chauvin would have had to look him in the face… The knee was a brutal coward’s knee.” Unquote.
Isn’t that what America does all the time, by bombing INNOCENT nations from 25-3000 ft, or sending missiles to murder people ???

2 Likes

What else can one expect, when the whole nation from it’s very birth, was based on such a policy ???

As much as I like this article, and agree, lots of ink has been used over the decades to bring to light the plight of blacks abused, ignored, murdered, over and over, all the way back to the beginning of this country. Here’s a reminder, the Chinese built the railroads from one side of this country to the other.They were used by the wealthy aristocrats as cheap labor, to live and die, be discarded when no longer useful. Mexican labor made it possible for larger farms and ranches to provide food for the nation–Once more, cheap labor, more throwaways for the wealthy. Immigrants from Europe made the retail industry what it became, more throwaways and cheap labor. How about Big Oil? Just more of the same. Slave labor for the 1Percenters didn’t change, and hasn’t. It’s still Us and Them, and that divide is even greater. The worse part about blacks being killed? Not that its still going on without change, police brutality is worse without real consequences or justice, but those deaths become front page, cause riots and destruction while genocide is being conducted on children and parents south of the border. Held in cages, starved, raped, and I can’t find that story anywhere on any MSM network or paper. The US was built with slave labor from day one, and nothing has changed. The wealthy always exploited all others to make their wealth even greater. That was, and is, the American way…And I didn’t even get to what was done to our Native Indians, and still being done.

3 Likes