Home | About | Donate

The Muslim and The Trump

The Muslim and The Trump

Christopher Brauchli

Happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction. . . requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens. . . .
— George Washington,1790 Letter to the Newport Jewish Congregation

well, Trump has no problem with the Muslim rulers of Saudi Arabia and the UAE. He just finds the issue useful for accumulating power and wealth.
But there is a Muslim responsibility here too - how do minorities fare in Muslim countries - Iran, Egypt, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Bangla Desh etc - not too well, there are problems where they interface with all other religions. Religions of all stripes underly a lot of our problems.

2 Likes

“It is standing up for Christian communities that counts”

I think that standing up for Christian values for many is cover wanting to halt the transformation over time of an essentially-white western culture into a predominately or significantly Muslim one, that many of those opposed to Muslim immigration are not particularly Christian.

1 Like

Back in the old days, Ben Franklin was not in favor Jews coming to the newly minted United States. For an allegedly secular country, religion has been a flash-point in the United States. Many people were also against Catholics in the 19th Century - Italians and Irish were often relegated to poorer choices in jobs and education. Of course, there were already the “godless savages” who originally populated the country, and are still undergoing genocide.

1 Like

I think Xi is much more interested in combating Uighur independence than focussing on their religion. IF that wasn’t in the mix, I don’t think it would be an issue at all.

The rest of the article makes more sense and certainly Orban is as odious as it gets on this issue.