Home | About | Donate

The Muslim and the Trump

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/05/31/muslim-and-trump

Thomas Jefferson in an April 11, 1823, letter to John Adams:

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme Being in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. … But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding…

1 Like

Except Saudi Arabia. Trump likes Muslims there just fine.

And demographically speaking, Christians are a shrinking sect, Muslims growing. That’s why Orban in Hungary pays a tax premium to Christians who have kids. He sees the demographic numbers – and if he were really paying attention, he’d be noticing that the main thing the Catholic Church is famous for is sexual predator priests and a church hierarchy who covered for them for decades.

2 Likes

Organized religion rears its ugly head again.

Those who buy into a narrative from doctrines of relatively established and popular religion and claim to represent the religion, are doing themselves and humanity a disservice.

No matter how ill informed, if you are going to state that you are part of a system, then you are giving up your own autonomy as a human being.

And then, of course, you are going to be fighting against every system that is not the one you have ascribed to.

Orban and Trump are where they are because of groupthink, and can only speak to what they subscribe to.

Religious war and Cruasdes are next.

What can I say. I’m just an old “head” that doesn’t roll very well. That’s a pretty heavy quote WiseOwl. A little out of my realm, but intriguing though.