Home | About | Donate

The Myth of Pervasive Voter Fraud

The Myth of Pervasive Voter Fraud

Andrew Cohen

One of the most distressing indications of failure in American journalism today is the release of a poll last week that reveals that nearly half of the country believes that voter fraud occurs “very or somewhat often.” Since there is no rational basis in law or fact for this belief, since you are more likely to be struck by lightning than to be a victim

I think this guy would find a much richer field debunking much more obvious myths, such as "Assad gassed his own people," or "Gaddafi was massacring his own people" or "Putin has invaded the Ukraine," or "Israel is just defending itself," than to claim, first, that voter fraud in the US is a "myth" and, second, that journalists should busy themselves "debunking" this "myth." I would call to the author's attention the tireless work of Bob Fitrakis and Harvey Wasserman concerning the proven fraud that took place in Ohio during the 2004 presidential election (with actual court findings); the eye-opening film on electronic voter fraud called "Black Box Voting" by Bev Harris; the fraud of the stolen 2000 election, about which oceans of ink have been spilled; the endless statistical studies that have conducted by university-level statisticians on the statistically impossible discrepancies between exit poll results and the final tally, and the last-minute come-from-behind vote rallies, in 2000, 2002 mid-term, 2004 elections and beyond; the very recent WikiLeaks cables showing fraud in this year's Dem primary (which everyone knew anyway); and the fact that Jimmy Carter himself famously said that the US is no longer a functioning democracy.

Given all of the above, Mr. Cohen should be celebrating the fact that Americans polled are wise to the game. But no. He wants to set them "right," make them see the error of their "conspiracy theorist" ways. There's a precise term for what he's doing in this piece. It's called "damage control." Luckily, however, I don't think many people will buy it.

That's exactly what he's talking about. In the first paragraph he even says "in-person voter fraud." The name itself tells the story--voter fraud: a fraud perpetrated by a voter.

What @Clovis is talking about is generally referred to as election fraud. Of course, sometimes the two go hand in hand, as it seems happened in the recent Russian parliamentary elections.

Apparently voter fraud is a felony unless done by voting machines and voter suppression is not a crime.

I think voter fraud might happen "somewhat often" because when I go to vote, all I have to do is tell someone my name and they let me vote. The list of names is on the table in front of me and I can read any name off of the list. Also, my name is on two lists in different districts. I could easily vote in both. Furthermore, many people have moved, but go to their old district to vote. This seems fraudulent and can affect district races.
Nowadays, I am concerned that the corporate and political elite that want their candidate (Hillary Clinton, this year) elected so badly, they will simply rig our electronic voting machines.

You are confusing VOTER fraud with ELECTION fraud. And you devoted a very large paragraph to that confusion. But, not to be too harsh, perhaps it is that same confusion among those that were polled that produced that disheartening statistic.

Fitrakis and Wasserman discuss ELECTION fraud, but the MSM stays on script and talks about VOTER fraud. And the sheep are grazing in the lower meadow.

It's not like it can't happen though. Am I not correct in saying that in the Chicago of a by-gone era that voter fraud and election fraud were one and the same?

To my mind it is an obvious truth that the GOP, through the state governments under their control, will do anything and everything to limit the voting participation of the young and the non-white who do not support their festering, rotting brand. Hence the meme - VOTER FRAUD.

Ayuh. The former is a myth. The latter is a U.S. institution.