Home | About | Donate

The Need for a Climate Action Plan That Puts Forests Front and Center Is Clearer Than Ever

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/12/need-climate-action-plan-puts-forests-front-and-center-clearer-ever

I see notable gaps in this article. Firstly, it always has to be said (it should go unsaid, but doesn’t) that nothing else we do to address the Climate Catastrophe measures up to the urgency of stopping fossil fuel extraction. First, we put out the fire, then we can think about how to clean up the mess.

It’s vital to preserve as much forest as possible, of course. That’s why I’m puzzled by Pablo Pacheco’s omission of the news (about “the lungs of the planet”) from Brazil:

The Amazon belongs to Brazil and European countries can mind their own business because they have already destroyed their own environment, said Brazil’s far-right president Jair Bolsonaro, who also described his own government’s satellite data showing an alarming rise in deforestation as “lies”.

“You have to understand that the Amazon is Brazil’s, not yours,” Bolsonaro said on Friday. “If all this devastation you accuse us of doing was done in the past the Amazon would have stopped existing, it would be a big desert.”

Bolsonaro declares ‘the Amazon is ours’ and calls deforestation data 'lies’

1 Like

One of the issues with reforestation as currently practiced is that rather then re-create a natural forest , trees planted tend to be ones that favor the lumber industry in that they all of one or two species and mature rapidly so as to allow another harvest as quickly as possible. No area reforested by man that I know of has the diversity of a natural forest.

1 Like

I am now of the belief that solutions outside the United States will be required, because I think that Trump is only a front man for a much more insidious truth, that Eisenhower’s warning has now become certain reality.

Here again is the amazing Greta Thundberg - this time in a German forest, as befits the focus of this article:

Greta Thunberg takes climate fight to Germany’s threatened Hambach Forest

I live in Oregon. ALL of the true forests in Cascadia have been raped and turned into industrial tree farms. There isn’t much forest left. It looks like a damn moonscape from the air. Same thing has happened in the Sierra-Nevada range.

Humans really are a cancer on the Earth. But Mother Nature will have the last word, and it ain’t gonna be nice for the humans that manage to survive for a while.

1 Like

The thing is , with a change in philosophy humans can be excellent stewards of the Earth. When the I takes over than it leads to game over.