Home | About | Donate

The New Founder, Brought to You by the Koch Brothers

The New Founder, Brought to You by the Koch Brothers

Jim Hightower

When you think of America's great Constitutional originators, names like Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Hamilton and Franklin come to mind. And, of course, Abbott.

Could we address one thing at a time? Where do I find Gov. Abbott's proposed amendments? And please note that "hodgepodge" has to be recognized by the Congress to activate an Article V convention.

Yes, I'm as worried as anyone about ALEC. But at the moment the fish is rotting from a different head.

I try to bear up with right-wing radio fro 30 minutes each week, so yes, this "Article 5" campaign is serious on the Right. And has been. They don't see it as a pipe dream.

They've written pamphlets and books on it--which they'll give away to most listeners. Be ready.

Trump will steamroll press freedoms, public assembly, search and seizure procedures. Success on those fronts will enable him to undermine nearly every other right understood in the Bill of Rights. When he can't steamroll, he will bankrupt "violators" with legal fees. If the courts--including even his packed Rightist court-- then the "Article 5" people will certainly make their move.

"This past January, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, the multimillionaire protege of the Koch brother's Plutocratic Kingdom and American Legislative Exchange Council darling, revealed to a startled nation that he has penned not one but NINE new amendments to the Constitution of the USA."

And a previous CD article on the Electoral College stated that it would be almost impossible to pass a Constitutional Amendment to abolish this racist, fascist, Republican, conservative favoring institution.

So you seem to be saying - 'this isn't something to be immediately concerned about?' Did I get that right? You do understand it was the Koch's who designed, trained, and unleashed the radical Tea Party movement upon our unsuspecting society, and is wholly responsible for our intractable congress? Are you at all cognizant of the fact: it was the Koch patriarch, who helped start the John Birch Society? These bastards have already done terrible harm to several local and state government(s) not to mention our federal government - and YOU think Jim Hightower is overreaching in his analysis? Lady - Mr. Hightower is a gift and you obviously do not belong here.

How?

And as Hightower notes in the OP, the ALEC/Koch amendments are a hodgepodge. Article V says how many states must request a convention, but not whether they must all ask for the same amendments. The real danger (@natureboy) is if they bulldoze through a start-from-scratch convention. That we must prevent, state by state. Know what's going on in your legislature.

Jim Hightower did not mean to imply by using the word hodgepodge that they are any less powerful. In fact what has really already happened, is their ideas have expanded similarly to a spider web across our national, local and state legislatures. Don't be mislead. These 2 men and their organizations have threads of power behind more politicians than you could even imagine. Not to be afraid of their web of power would be very naive.

I have no problem being afraid of the Kochs. I spoke specifically to the Constitutional amendments proposed by Greg Abbott and others, which is where I understood Hightower to refer with the word "hodgepodge." The requests for a Constitutional convention have been ignored because they are not unified as to the proposed amendments to be considered.

I don't know how you would know what Hightower "mean[t] to imply." I take writers at their word.

On one point: What term defines this era's liberal response to our poverty crisis? Yep, trickle down economics. The US shipped out a huge number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s, and even liberals haven't found the courage to examine the consequences.

We stripped our poor of the most basic human rights (UN's UDHR) of food and shelter back in the 1990s, and liberals have maintained that the only appropriate response is to keep calling for job creation. Their theory is that if we improve the wages and security of the middle class, jobs will expand and eventually trickle down to the poor. No one can survive on promises of eventual jobs. The last I heard, there are 7 jobs for every 10 jobless people who still have the means to pursue one. What do you think happens to all those who are left out?

Not everyone is able to work (health, etc.), and once you no longer have a home address, phone, etc., you can't get a job. It's just over.

It's complicated. The "steamrolling of press freedoms" actually began in the 1980s, with the extraordinary media mergers/consolidation, and the rooting out of reporters deemed "too far to the left." Today virtually a handful of people decide what Americans should/should not be informed about, and how it should be presented.

Since the 1990s, we have seen a sort of voluntary censorship of liberal media based on sound marketing practices. Their target audience is middle class consumers and campaign donors, and they tailor their news to appeal to this specific audience -- reflecting their perspective and sticking to the issues that concern the middle class. Good marketing practice, but it results in their failure to adequately "ensure an informed public."

This is not "steamroll[ing] press freedoms" by the incoming administration. Neither is it steamrolling the other Constitutional rights and protections as predicted by @RoyceGW. As you note, we lose these rights only if we surrender them. The great thing about the incoming administration is that its leader has zero idea how to do even what he should be doing, let alone what he shouldn't.

Stand strong, and don't fret.

Secession and the formation of a progressive country is looking more and more like a good idea. Alternatively, we can declare defeat in the Civil War and tell the south to build their wall a few hundred miles further north.

Meet the Grassroots Leadership Academy

The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels with Alex Epstein

McKibben vs. Epstein Debate on Fossil Fuels -- Full Audio

The author seems to think that the results of a Convention of States could be controlled or manipulated by the Koch brothers. In fact, any amendments proposed at the Convention has to be ratified by at least 38 state legislatures. What is the likelihood that any one interested party can control the decisions of the representatives and senators of 38 states? I think we are talking or a high improbability.

That's true if they call a convention over individual amendments. The great danger is if the Kochs get together enough states to call, or get the Congress to recognize the diversity of amendments proposed as calling for a start-from-scratch brand-new Constitution. That's the kind of chaos, with the Koch/ALEC-controlled states in charge, that is truly scary. Again, Gov. Abbott doesn't scare me all that much.

Trump was able to use his keen sales ability to get elected, 'the art of the deal' and all that b.s. worked out for him. Yes, he's ignorant of how government works and that is why he's building a cabinet of various individuals with expertise. Have you vetted any of these people? Not a moderate to be found.