Home | About | Donate

The New Slave Revolt

The New Slave Revolt

Chris Hedges

A nationwide prison work stoppage and hunger strike, begun on Sept. 9, the 45th anniversary of the Attica uprising, have seen over 20,000 prisoners in about 30 prisons do what we on the outside should do—refuse to cooperate.

As the theologian once asked: "What is to be done?" How can we help? A good start might be to work on defunding the prison system, already happening (a little) in my state. If the trend progresses far enough, jails will have to be shut down and nonviolent prisoners released. Not good enough, but a start.

As a native American Indian said: At least we know we're on a reservation.
Mexican prisons operate in a similar way where prisoners, or their families, pay for most everything except the most basic items.
But Hedges doesn't offer solutions in an industrial society what to do with surplus labor (i.e. people). This seems to me to be what is behind the fierce resistance to immigration in the US. We need to find equitable answers to that. Find new meaning in society rather than the old way of organizing ourselves and going to war.
One way would be start caring for one another, paying attention (rather than paying money exclusively) to our hurts, dings, and injustices.

"Post-Capitalism and a Workless Society." There are many people doing work in this area.

"The corporate state uses fear, police violence and huge networks of
jails and prisons to keep hundreds of millions of underemployed and
unemployed poor people from revolting."

Terrorism: The use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological
or political reasons.

Before we even think of fighting terrorists halfway around the world, we might think of doing away with state-sponsored terrorism against citizens here in the USA.

Agree with all you said, a thoughtful post.

"But Hedges doesn't offer solutions in an industrial society what to do with surplus labor (i.e. people)"

Jill Stein and the Green Party do:
A Green New Deal:
Create millions of jobs by transitioning to 100% clean renewable energy by 2030, and investing in public transit, sustainable agriculture, and Millions of jobs with renewable energyconservation.

This just a local human interest story. Note this one of Vancouvers poorer neighborhoods but it helps show how the sense of Community and of helping one another can go a long ways towards making a better world. I am sure these sort of things happen the world over in neighborhoods.

This a quote of 84 year old henry regarding the support he and his wife get from all of the young people in the area.

So what does Henry make of their celebrity status among the skateboarding community?
“A lot of Chinese people who come from China ask me, ‘Why are they so good to you?’ I say, I don’t know. We just go along with it,” he said. “Myself and my wife like to associate with people. We don’t want to be alone at home. I see them as family.”

Step one is seeing everyone as family no matter their ethnic origins or age differences.

The State fears this which is why they always try and set people against one another.

Gulags of greed

Less wealth inequality = less crime = less prisons.

Leo Tolstoy? Nikolay Chernyshevsky? Vladimir Lenin? Theologians? This question is well known but not from any theologian, rather from these revolutionaries who were actively concerned with the suffering and oppression of the poor by the elites.

Sorry 4, the quote is from the title of a book by Soren Kierkegaard. whose name I was too lazy to look up. He was a theologian, and the quote is his most famous utterance.

This article is a major eye-opener for me. Because of mass incarceration and oppressive sentencing many inmates are in prison for non-violent drug related crimes. For anyone to come out after serving his or her sentence owing the Department of Corrections any significant amount of money is the ultimate travesty of justice.

In addition we need a jobs program that pays enough to get housing food and medical care.

Excellent work Mr. Hedges!
Why don't all inmates refuse to do any work from the inside so the states can't profit from their labor. Don't be fooled by the time off for good (slave) behavior will be withheld argument. There isn't enough room for everyone and even the nonworkers who don't commit infractions inside will be released for good behavior.