Home | About | Donate

The Next Steps for the #MeToo Movement

The Next Steps for the #MeToo Movement

Bianca Rosen

Over the past year and a half, the #MeToo movement, with decades of anti-rape activism behind it, has elevated the public consciousness around sexual assault. Society’s most elite, powerful men in Hollywood, in business and in politics, are being called to account for their actions. Never before has sexual violence been discussed on such an expansive platform. Still, this reckoning has been relegated to the most prestigious, leaving the plight of everyday Americans and especially those most marginalized, out of the conversation.

It’s great to see Ms. Rosen raising economic and gun violence issues in relationship to patriarchy and sexual violence against girls and women in the U.S.

However, I fear the me too movement is fading because it was very much a creation of social media and is very much dominated by rich and affluent (usually white) girls and women.

Among other things, it should be a central mandate of U.S. labor unions - the supposed voices of the U.S. working class - to make me too and fighting mysoginy front-and-center in their programs, processes and structures.

Maybe the citizens of the USA will come to the amazed revelation that the early 20th Century Anarchists were right and the country doesn’t need government.

Excellent points made. This is why illegal immigration needs to be reformed with a foreign worker’s program. Illegal immigration creates a population of people who can be exploited and abused beyond the notice of the law, because they have no recourse when it happens without giving themselves up. A foreign worker’s program could oversee labor conditions and living conditions, and ensure that workers, especially women, are not subject to sexual blackmail to keep their jobs.

HI TomJohnson1: I’m not sure about your thought that only rich white women are involved in #metoo----because the media doesn’t care about poor women of any color or race. What is really amazing to me is how many men in powerful positions, and of many races, seem to take for granted that their job description and pay level entitle them to harass so many women. I am not surprised that they get away with it though, because high income seems to come with an invisibility cloak which so often covers up their actions. : )

A vote for Trump, was a vote for violence against women. Or in the least, a denial of the violence against women.

Who could claim ignorance with all the media surrounding pussygate? 53% of white females said sexual violence of Trump’s past did not matter.

The vote for Kavanaugh, was a vote for violence against women — and a blatant FU to sexual assault victims everywhere. There is no doubt about that.

And we need to acknowledge the roll that language plays in all of this. Language use is where the battleground is over minds.

The phrase “playing the victim” a term of armchair psychology popularized by hacks such as Limbaugh and O’Reilly, has gained popularity in the last 10-15 years.

If you use it, try not to use it.
It is one small way we can change the world to a little bit better, little more accepting and inclusive place to live.

But if you continue to use language that promotes violent thinking against victims----you ARE part of the problem.

This explains it well, so I won’t.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-compassion-chronicles/201504/when-did-victim-become-bad-word